PDA

View Full Version : Branson considering domestic NZ airline

NZDP
15th Jan 2007, 04:00
From the National Business Review:

Richard Branson, British transport and entertainment mogul Sir Richard Branson says he has held talks with airports in New Zealand about a potential domestic airline.

Sir Richard, who is in Christchurch today, says while a domestic Pacific Blue service is not imminent, it is a possibility in the future.

He says he is aware there is room for competition in the less travelled domestic routes in New Zealand, which are currently only serviced by Air New Zealand.

Sir Richard Branson is in Christchurch for the third birthday celebrations of budget airline Pacific Blue.

I think it would be good to see someone take up where Origin left off...
I know who I would rather fly with.

What are your thoughts ?

Aussie
15th Jan 2007, 05:25
Well, i think if anyone can do it, Richard Branson can...

Good luck

Aussie

Cloud Cutter
15th Jan 2007, 05:31
Interesting. I wonder what sort of aircraft he would use on the 'less traveled domestic routes'. Obviously not a 737 and probably not a jet. Which brings me to my next question, can anyone see Virgin/Pacific Blue operating turboprops?

With Qantas pulling out of the WLG-CHC market, it seems the main trunk is pretty well supplied, although it would be interesting to see what a true LCC could do to spark demand.

I agree with Aussie, although the wee dip he took in the Avon today probably wasn't overly wise, hopefully he'll survive to start another airline. Watch this space I guess.

remoak
15th Jan 2007, 09:15
Not a very good one... they are performance-limited and fragile. Bit of a ground-gripper on a hot day. They are also cramped inside. Nice to fly, though.

Eastwest Loco
15th Jan 2007, 11:58
Names please!!!

My money is on Virgin on Insanity, or Virgin Black.

Good luck to Mr B, but I thought the market a little thin.

Maybe the Jungle Jets would indeed fit the bill there.

Best all.

EWL

pakeha-boy
15th Jan 2007, 18:55
remoak...would agree mate....the 170,s or 190,s would be the ticket....have jumpseated on the 170,s and weve just taken delivery of the first 190...the #,s look good for short haul......and they are very comfortable from a paxs view.....bag the 145,s for sure...

Cyclone Bob
15th Jan 2007, 20:32
Wonder what the pay and conditions would be like on a Virgin regional turboprop or baby jet. BYO type rating?:suspect:

Aussie
15th Jan 2007, 22:16
Well i very much doubt they would pay for the TR!

Aussie

Todd River Skier
16th Jan 2007, 04:43
Eh Cloud you post It would be interesting to see if a LLC entered the Enzed Dom market -- ummm ?? sorry dont get that one??? What about the low cost carrier that just pulled of the CHC - WLG ROUTE???

Bankstownboy
16th Jan 2007, 08:21
My money is on Virgin on Insanity, or Virgin Black.

And I'm putting my money on Black Sheep. ;)

Eastwest Loco
16th Jan 2007, 08:32
No baaaaa service on shourthauls Bankstown?

Hanz Blix
16th Jan 2007, 09:23
HOT days don't occur in NZ anymore so don't worry about field performance on the ERJ!

:ugh:

Pete Conrad
16th Jan 2007, 22:00
toddriverskier...........if the incumbent LCC as you put it were serious about domestic NZ, then there would of been a different story....unfortunately, all arms of the QF network are being turned around from cost centers to profit centres, quite frankly, for the capital investment required for NZ, I doubt whether the return would be there.

slamer.
17th Jan 2007, 01:07
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm006YYNZ) A Kiwi and an Aussie are riding through the sheep country when they discover a sheep with its head stuck in a fence. The Kiwi gets off his horse, strides over to the sheep, shags it, and them gets back on his horse. He looks at the Aussie who is staring at him and says "Sorry mate, do ya wanna go too?" "Alright," says the Aussie and gets off his horse, walks over to the fence, looks back at the Kiwi and asks "Do I have to put my head in the fence?"

pakeha-boy
17th Jan 2007, 02:00
slamer.....you know he put his head in the fence....

now you have upset petey c ....and stirred up the hornets nest.....we all know a bit of # 8 around their necks gets them going.....some things are better left unsaid

Pete Conrad
17th Jan 2007, 02:06
You would know all about that PB..............the only difference you would have the sheep on the edge of a cliff for more pushback though.

Twas a joke PB...get a woolly up ya.

Todd River Skier
17th Jan 2007, 21:33
Nope sorry Conrad youve lost me there. Ive tried the cryptic crossword help book, tried reading it upside down, tried it after a few beers and still not sure how yaw post relates to what i posted. Anyway im bored now so happy surfing.

Pete Conrad
17th Jan 2007, 22:03
well mate, either you lay off the cough medicine or start reading the daily newspapers, because it really aint that hard to figure out.

Cloud Cutter
18th Jan 2007, 19:23
What about the low cost carrier that just pulled of the CHC - WLG ROUTE???

There are no true LCCs operating in NZ at this stage. Try comparing Jetconnect and Air NZ to the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair. They are low cost models, run by airlines who have found it hard to fully adopt the concept.

remoak
18th Jan 2007, 23:07
There is a big difference between low COST carriers and low FARES carriers... Air NZ and Jetconnect being the latter, Easyjet and Ryanair being the former.

There is also a big difference between a low cost carrier and a REAL low cost carrier (Southwest being the latter).

pakeha-boy
19th Jan 2007, 02:00
....and that remoak is a very good point.....the mongrels I fly for are regarded as a "low cost carrier" and as of late we have had the highest(most expensive tickets).....that has not always been the case but your "distinction" between the two may open a few eyeballs........

...this "lowcost carrier"identity is somewhat of a pandoras box.....ask our managment what "low-cost" means....and it changes on a daily basis...it has become an interesting concept......nothing is fixed in stone...

....if someone has a definiton of low cost v,s the low fares boys....I,d like to hear it...I have what my company tells me is their defintion...but have yet to see them actually "play the plan".......PB

petey ....give your boyfriend a "squeeze" for me will ya;)

Buster Hyman
19th Jan 2007, 06:24
Virgin Kiwi....do they exist?:confused:

tobzalp
19th Jan 2007, 06:57
From the National Business Review:
I think it would be good to see someone take up where Origin left off...
I know who I would rather fly with.
What are your thoughts ?
Call the airline Black and Blue? Not Blue...but Black cuz? Virgin Black?

Austin Holed
19th Jan 2007, 09:08
Fact:30% of male Kiwis have atleast once or more had sexual relations with a sheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
I only found out a while ago...100% true i couldnt belive it hahahaha
WIERDUUUUUUUUUUZZZ
Fact: CP-Adi has a brain the size of a pea.
Hey, this is fun, just make something up & call it a fact. CP_Adi, you should be in airline management, hey - maybe you are?
Could someone please direct this thread back onto the original topic, and Woomera, please kick these schoolboys off.

remoak
19th Jan 2007, 11:47
He's just a little kid who hasn't even begun learning how to fly yet... thinks he can mix it with the big boys. Sad to see PPruNe being debased by these wannabes...

pakeha-boy
20th Jan 2007, 04:37
remoak....I reckon CP Adi....is pete conrads twin sister......they sound and write alike...:E }

....hit me with the low-cost V.s low fare carrier stuff....these outfits are low fare one day,then low cost the next......just look at AirNZ,s latest sagarso....:ugh:

sweetpollypurebred
20th Jan 2007, 10:41
Dont worry mate, while your cuddling a nice girl of the human variety, remember Pak-boy curls up next to a furry little lamb under the stars on a lost island somewhere in the south pacific.:eek:

Pete Conrad
20th Jan 2007, 21:11
CP Adi...your not the only one that gets childish PM's off Pakeha Boy....he's a bit of a tough guy, or so he thinks in his own mind,... your a w@nker PB.

pakeha-boy
20th Jan 2007, 22:20
remoak......southwest like you say is the model airline....

...Southwest has remained profitable all this time because they have had low costs to support what customers want in low fares.But they also have the best pay rates for their employees.

They do not get their low costs by paying poor wages to their employees and that is one of the main reasons they have become successful.Many low cost airline have used the opposite,and it IS the employees who have taken the brunt of the costs.

just goes to show that you can pay your employees well and run a low cost/low fare airline.......(the left handed;) )...PB

NZDP
21st Jan 2007, 05:05
Yes I agree about southwest there. No only are they a model low cost airline but also to the bigger carriers as well. I was on a southwest flight to LAX in a 737 with nice comfortable leather seats, plenty of leg room, great refreshments and great customer service, only to jump into dirty stained rag covered (what I thought was a) plank with my knees in my ears 13 hours to AK on a Qantas jumbo !
Not that I am bagging qantas at all, I just think that If southwest can get you somewhere comfortably as well as cheaply then the bigger carriers should be able to do a similar job.

And by bigger carriers I mean the non low cost ones..... I think

jetkiwi
22nd Jan 2007, 00:51
Call the airline Black and Blue? Not Blue...but Black cuz? Virgin Black?

What about "Virgin Arse"? :=

RevMan2
22nd Jan 2007, 06:28
One of the key reasons that QF pulled its WLG-CHC service was to free up capacity to hurt NZ (even more) on the trans-Tasman routes......