PDA

View Full Version : Pax handbaggage

Virginia
14th Jan 2007, 21:13
Nothing gets on my goat more than stupid pax who want me to lift their heavy Samsonite into the overhead. They've carried it all the way through the airport as well. I ususally manage to smile and say politely 'Due to health and safety regualtions I'm not permitted to lift luggage but I can have it stowed in the hold for you...' They usually gain strength pretty quickly...

Why do big burly business men think the petite flight attendant will be able to lift it? Do I really want to damage my back and be off work on crappy sick basic pay?

How do you cope?

Getoutofmygalley
14th Jan 2007, 21:39
That is why I am glad that my airline has the policy of you bring it on, you stow it yourself.

I will happily help elderly or disabled pax stow their baggage but I'll be buggered if I am going to do my back in for a fit healthy adult. Pax carrying babies, well I will hold their baby and let them stow their bags as well!

smile
14th Jan 2007, 22:42
When passengers ask me to stow thier heavy bags for them I follow this little procedure.....

Looking genuinely concerned i ask them if it is too heavy for them. 9 times out of 10 they answer "yes". Then in my friendliest voice I tell them "no problem I'll just get it put in the hold for you". :E

I had a rather fit and healthy looking older gentleman ask me if I could lift his bag into the lockers for him. On sight the bag didn't look heavy so I replied "yes". However when attempting to lift the bag I realised it was rather heavy, so I politly explained to the man that the bag was heavy and that I would need him to lift it himself so that none of our crew hurt their backs. His reply was " So you want me to hurt my back then do you!". I was speechless.:mad:

vodkaholic
15th Jan 2007, 12:41
my airline doesnt have such a policy that the pax should put it in the stowages themselves :\ i have never actually had a pax ask me to stow their bag for them, but i will offer my assistance if i think they won't be able to manage it (if they are very odl and frail or just very short!). but i always make sure they hand the bag to me so that i'm not bending my back. i'm sure when i've been flying for a few more years i will have rude people who expect me to stow something i cant even lift!! lol

Crepello
16th Jan 2007, 03:59
This isn't really my place to post, as a lowly pax, but I'll share one story about a BA flight from LHR last summer. I won't name the destination in case I'm branded 'undiverse', but let's just say it was a country where people providing a service don't always get due respect.

A 'gentle'man tried to stash his bag overhead and accepted assistance from a steward. In turn, he 'helped' the steward all the way to the floor, thereby dislocating the steward's shoulder. Paramedics summoned, steward deplaned in pain, passenger largely unapologetic. Unbelievable.

Careful with the heavies, folks - and I don't just mean the bags. But some of us still appreciate the work you do. :ok:

DJTibby
16th Jan 2007, 05:05
The way I see it is on DJ and JQ (im not sure about qantas) here in OZ the carry on bags should not exceed 7 kg and this is clearly outlined at the airport and check in as well as the baggage rules when buying a ticket. I would be fine with lifting up to 7kg but not over. If it was heavier i would politely explain that they are not meant to carry on baggage that weighs more than 7 kg, so i can arrange to put it under the plane for them or they are going to have to find someone else (perhaps another strong PAX who can lift it) unless as others have said they are small/frail/old/young/disabled etc. Customer service is important but so is our own safety. :)