PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Veldhuizen van Zanten

Scarebus_A300
14th Jan 2007, 13:48
Hello all,

As I'm sure you're all aware of the 1977 Tenerife disaster, and that KLM's prized pilot van Zanten was a key person in the chain of events that day, I am intrigued to find out some more about him and what calibre of a pilot he was - So, does anyone know anymore about him than what is already published about him on the web?

Also, are there any photos of him at all??

Trident man
14th Jan 2007, 14:13
There is a pic of the chap on a mid 1970's KLM fold out promo mag.

Scarebus_A300
14th Jan 2007, 15:18
http://www.project-tenerife.com/engels/foto/bemanning/ah8.JPGIs this him by any chance??

Also, was he a teacher at the KLS?

Trident man
14th Jan 2007, 18:42
Yep thats him.

Scarebus_A300
14th Jan 2007, 19:45
Ok, that's good!

Well, was he a good pilot though in terms of ability and treatment of his co-workers??

But is it true that Mr. Van Zanten was so highly revered in the KLM that he was used in all their publicity, and was even called 'Mr. KLM' by other pilots of the time?

Trident man
14th Jan 2007, 20:00
Apparentley,when the investigators arrived to asses the incident,KLM wanted Captian Van Zanten there but he was in command of the fatal flight!!!,from what i have read and have been told he was very well respected and was a very competent pilot.Idont really know any more about the chap im affraid.I know it may seem a bit odd but im quite interested in accident investigation(ie what and why they happen) and have many press cuttings from this very sad incident and many other accidents this day.

PPRuNe Pop
14th Jan 2007, 20:27
This thread is closed!