PDA

View Full Version : SIA to ditch the Singapore Girl image

Merlinrabbi
14th Jan 2007, 07:24
http://travel.asiaone.com.sg/news/20070114_001.html
The Singapore Girl may go into the history books if the new SIA appointed ad agency changes the image of SIA. :{

apaddyinuk
14th Jan 2007, 16:15
Well it is kinda sexist!!!

Im surprised it has lasted as long as it has to be honest!

klinitco
15th Jan 2007, 08:50
From the article: 'No one in Singapore dresses like that.'... so what? I can't see people in dubai dressing in the emirates uniform, or aussies wearing qantas dresses... but it's a nice touch that distinguishes SIA from the rest and also seems to have some affiliation to Singapore, 'business attire like other airlines'... how boring! Keep the Singapore girl flying (although if working conditions for SIA staff are as bad as made out, as much as I can't see this happening I really would like to see an improvement.)

I Just Want To Fly
15th Jan 2007, 17:05
I will be very sad to see the Singapore Girl go....

Is this political corectness going too far?

The SQ kabaya is one of the most beautiful uniforms in the industry, as inpractical as it may be.

As far as I am aware, Singapore Airlines, Malaysian Airlines, and Garuda, are the last airlines who still do not have the boring blazer style uniforms.

wondering
15th Jan 2007, 17:25
Oh no, you gotta be kidding :{

sebby
15th Jan 2007, 20:49
Yer not good ey! The conditions are not unlike most hospitality jobs in singapore... its a national standard.

FougaMagister
15th Jan 2007, 21:41
"The Singapore Girl may go into the history books if the new SIA appointed ad agency changes the image of SIA".

It will be a sad day. After all, along with great service and one of the world's youngest fleets, the "Singapore Girl" is one of the things that make SIA stand out among the worlds' best airlines. Before I get accused of sexism, it's all part of keeping whatever glamour is left in long-haul (air) travel. I know a few Singapore Girls (including my sister-in-law), and more often than not, they DO look like that!

But then again, I suppose consultants :yuk: will be paid a pricy sum to recommend dropping SIA's most iconic emblem :ugh: (Incidentally, the SIA ads feature actual flight attendants, NOT models).

Cheers :cool:

Middle Seat
16th Jan 2007, 18:32
(Incidentally, the SIA ads feature actual flight attendants, NOT models).

aaaah! So that explains why Untied commercials are FA-less.

1niteinbkk
30th Jan 2007, 07:29
complete and utter nonsense this notion of changing the Singapore Girl Icon!:bored:

is it becoming a syndrome amongst airlines to spend huge sums of money to change their liveries and "corporate images" :confused:

what's the point of having a new uniform, new logo and new paintwork on planes if the working conditions of the company are the same old crap!:ugh:

why not put all that money to better use to improve productivity or to make things better for staff than commissioning some company to airbrush a deteriorating image!

the only thing SQ (and probably many airlines) need to change with their uniforms are to the male uniforms :E the only "sexism" that exists here is concentrating the "image" on the female crew :mad: why not also brighten/liven up the male crew/staff uniforms for a change.......... :ok:

flitegirl
31st Jan 2007, 01:37
Before you all get too carried away, you'll notice that the article did say "SIA has made it clear, however, that it intends to retain the iconic 'Singapore Girl image'."

SIA has put out a tender for marketing, getting rid of the SQ girl image was just one suggestion from one company. So I doubt SQ executives will be choosing that company.