PDA

View Full Version : D-Bay Boat life

grant_737
13th Jan 2007, 10:28
Anyone out here live on a Boat/Junk/Yacht in D-bay. Im looking at this option and would like some gen.

bjbb
13th Jan 2007, 17:44
Hey,

I may not have lived in DB but I have lived on a boat for 11 years in CWB. I can tell you that its a gr8 lifestyle, lots of fun, go out to a bay and get away from it all and have really chilled weekends and so on. I believe that after the original capital investment that its an alright way to live, I mean berthing and maintaince for a 55ft motor cruiser was about 25,000 HKD. Please dont quote me on that it may well have changed and i dont know what it is in DB. It obviouslt also changes on the size and type of boat. DB is a popular location for the pilots and i understand taht you would certainly not be the first one to have chosen a boat option there. From what i know (which isnt much as ive never really bought a house or boat! ) i understand it is cheaper and if you buy a junk you can get more space for less money, (compared with a flat in some areas). YOu may also want to look at the Gold Coast Marina and complex. Bout 40 mins by car to a/p. HAs a marina and self contained complex. Just incase you havent heard of it which is probably unlikely.

Hope this helps,

bjbb

Lil_Satan
24th Jan 2007, 22:01
How is boat life during a typhoon?

What is a boat worth to buy? to rent?

bjbb
29th Jan 2007, 16:13
Really depends on the size of the boat! I would say a rough guess to a tayana 55 motor yacht is around HKD5-6million. Dont quote me on this but i know we sold ours for about between 2 and 4 so i guess those prices would reflect the value after a hefty bit of depreciation. (as with almost all boats)
I would say in terms of live aboard boats, junks are massive inside and i believe fairly nice to live in, maintenance costs are lower than say a sailing yacht. However, in terms of sea worthiness, you may be better off with another design.

In terms of value and how much your gonna be shelling out i would say starting with most expensive.

Sailing yachts
Motor yachts (non-junks)
Junks

Have a look, try simpson marine, or just go to any yacht club and there shall be stacks of notices and so on, most with prices. Havent heard if you can rent a boat but dont think it would be a totally unheard of idea.

Sorry no figures, but maybe some ideas.

Ben:bored:

don-one
29th Jan 2007, 23:00
Thanks for the info ben, just wanted to confirm that the HKD25000 for berthing and maintainance was a monthly cost?
Do many of the new recruits go for this option?

dragon501
29th Jan 2007, 23:01
used 58' junk in nice condition 2.5-2.8 mil
new 58' junk 3.0 plus extra's depending on layout
mega one (65'plus) 4-4.5 mil

Lotsa ones available and really good space inside... Just the fact that they depreciate is.. Ah well a fact i guess ;-)

Good luck, Gold Coast Marina is def nicer than DB....:yuk:

Elroy Jettson
30th Jan 2007, 09:24
DB marina limits boats to 17 feet beam. Gold Coast will allow you what ever beam you want.

Check this site out.

http://www.bondway.com/

These guys will build you a new one for about 4 mill depending on what you want in it.

Do some homework on debentures too. Essentially you buy the right to pay the marinas a fortune in mooring fees. Great deal. Anywhere from $100,000 to $300,000.

Cheers.

Amateur Turbines
30th Jan 2007, 20:23
This seems like a good option for my family. A few more questions for those that are working at CX. If I was to purchase a junk including the debenture would CX cover the cost not only of the Mortgage but also for the berthing. I understand that the berthing cost can be quite alot. I'm sure that someone must have a few more details relating to CX and living aboard a junk. If you could also add in some of your own personal thoughts about the pros and cons. Thank you in advance.