PDA

View Full Version : BA crew hotels

cabingal
12th Jan 2007, 23:25
Hi, can anyone please tell me the standards that BA crew hotels must meet? Also am I right in saying that we should be given non smoking rooms. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

ABird747
13th Jan 2007, 16:21
Before a hotel is approved a team of 7 or 8 people go out to the property to look at such things as fire safety, security, hygiene, general standards etc.

After this has been done a representative from one of the TUs goes out (one from BALPA, Amicus and BASSA) to do their own survey. Generally the TU reps do not go into the above aspects in such great depth and take it that the fire safety/security/hygiene people have done their jobs properly.

The contract does not specify smoking or non-smoking, especially since a number of US hotel chains have gone completely smoke free this would be a big problem for sourcing rooms if it did.

Itswindyout
13th Jan 2007, 18:43
for the crew races, sliding down the stairs, actually was banned due to the new fire door regulations..... takes all the fun out of nightstops....

Da Dog
13th Jan 2007, 19:18
All BA contracted rooms are for non smoking.
abird 747 is wrong.

A team of 7-8 people do not go to the Hotel, abird 747 is again wrong!

apaddyinuk
14th Jan 2007, 16:18
Also there is an increasing number of hotels which we stay in in the US which are now totally non-smoking and impose heavy fines.

You will find that most hotels try and hold two or three smoking rooms for the crew but this cannot always be assured.

Also you are not allowed ajoining rooms unless they can prove that the person in the room next to you is BA crew!

Off Stand
14th Jan 2007, 17:22
Paddy, as far as I know, all of the rooms in the USA are non-smoking only. However, some have a balcony and I believe (for the moment) you can smoke on them. I stand to be corrected of course.

cabingal
14th Jan 2007, 18:45
The reason I ask is because I was in a hotel last week downroute + was told that there were no non smoking rooms cos they didint have any at the hotel + smoking is allowed throughout. They said they would send an air purifier up to get rid of the smell but it didnt work - I ended up opening the window - even though i was told not to cos its a high rise building + slept in my coat cos it was so cold. The manager of the hotel said that rooms share the same vents so if someone next door was smoking it would be even worse. I complained to my manager when i got back + was basically told to put up with it. I spoke to the union who said to tell work that it might cause me to go sick downroute - i did + was told it would be a performance issue. My room stunk! Didn't get much rest cos I tried to stay out of my room as long as poss. Looked in my manual where it says "suitable accommodation" should be well ventilated. I have put this in writing + will hand it in tomorrow!

Off Stand
14th Jan 2007, 19:18
Cabingal, you need to get every crew member that was in a smoking room to write a report.

Also, put it on the bassa/cc89 forum to warn other crews that stop at the same hotel incase the same hotel and if it does, get them to fill out reports too. I'd also mention it to the station manager next time.

ABird747
15th Jan 2007, 11:56
All BA contracted rooms are for non smoking.
abird 747 is wrong.
A team of 7-8 people do not go to the Hotel, abird 747 is again wrong!

Funny that as I have been to do hotel visits myself and unless I'm having double vision or there were people stalking me I could have sworn we were in a group...

knavesmire
15th Jan 2007, 11:59
a bird i think you where dreaming unless it was a cc89 jolly

ABird747
15th Jan 2007, 12:41
a bird i think you where dreaming unless it was a cc89 jolly

care to enlighten us what it is that makes you the oracle of all things or are you just gonna sit back and make crass comments?

cabingal
17th Jan 2007, 12:22
I spoke to my manager + the reply I got was "if thats yr attitude don't go!!!" Fantastic management skills don't u think!!! The union are a load of crap so gonna change to TGWU cos cc89 aren't helping me at all!!!:mad:

Carnage Matey!
17th Jan 2007, 12:38
The problem you face is that the cabin crew community agreed a reduction in standards in hotels around 1997 to save money in order to avoid having to make changes to working practices. The union that agreed to that was......BASSA!

TightSlot
17th Jan 2007, 13:28
And on that happy note...

Please continue this discussion on the BA IR thread