PDA

View Full Version : Download Office 2007

Keygrip
12th Jan 2007, 19:56
I know most of you purists out there hate Bill Gates and his wares - but wondered if anybody has taken them up on the offer of a free trial of Office 2007.

Does it (promise to) revert back to Office 2003 without any hiccups?
Do you have to delete Office 2003 to be able to download (like the said with IE7 Beta).

Scary process or educational training for the software that you won't be able to afford when it comes out?

Saab Dastard
12th Jan 2007, 22:27
MS Office 2007 Trial web page (http://ukireland.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx?culture=en-gb).

Have a look at the FAQ, should find out what you need to know.

I like the bit about Please retain the previous version’s physical media in the event you wish to revert to that version during the trial period.

It's all a cunning ruse to flush out more unlicensed copies of office! ;)

SD

stevef
13th Jan 2007, 08:15
Just downloaded it. When you complete the registration section, you need to complete ALL the information blocks, not only the ones in bold (as they wrongly stated). There wasn't anything in the download section about removing prior versions of Office first so I did a web search and came up with:

http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/The_News/General/Office_2007_Trial_Makes_Sense/

It seems you don't need to uninstall - see the section by Before Downloading Trial Software. Sixty days full functionality, which seems long enough to decide if it's superior enough to buy.
I'm just about to do a System Restore and run it. Hopefully I won't be back in tears...

stevef
13th Jan 2007, 09:20
I'm happy to report that all went smoothly. The installation process gives the option of retaining your existing version of Office. 2007 is very different from earlier versions and it could take a little while to get used to the navigation. There's an awful lot of taskbar clutter that needs customizing out but that was the same with 2002. The Edit selection is nothing like I'm used to and introduces triple-clicking and watching the mouse arrow change orientation to select text to copy, for example.
Looks interesting enough to keep. Give it a go!