PDA

View Full Version : B767 to freighters?

brassplate
12th Jan 2007, 08:42
Okay, just heard that GF will be converting most of their B767 to freighters. The freight mod increases the life of these old birds another 15 to 25 years. These 76s will be replaced temporarily by 777s, though I don't know where they will be getting them. These would then be taken over by the 787 around 2011. The announcement, if true, will have to wait for the new CEO who is apparently still closing shop with his previous company (whenever that will be). Any one care to add?

ironbutt57
12th Jan 2007, 10:18
Thats one of the stories floating around....

left_to_first_class
12th Jan 2007, 10:26
Short term is more A330's as cheaper on the manpower costs side than to move to B777.
A few A320's to be leased for the summer schedule to improve OTP.

ironbutt57
12th Jan 2007, 10:43
think the cost of adding another type to the fleet makes the 777 unlikely, but I guess it's all in how the numbers add up..while back the efforts were aimed at reducing this to two types...seeing is believing...

brassplate
13th Jan 2007, 06:08
Personally, I think it'll be 12-17 mill well spent. Certainly beats having to get dedicated freighters. Reviving the old fleet's a much better choice. Besides, I think there's a lot of potential for freight in bahrain.

ironbutt57
13th Jan 2007, 06:19
In any event it will be interesting to watch events unfold...Boeing had also reportedly tabled a refurb program for the fleet to the tune of 9mil per aircraft...remember they are not THAT old the newest being a 1994 model...they do serve well on high density short to medium sectors and really only need a bit of cosmetic refurb and tender loving care...GF did have a 757PF years back..but terminated the lease for whatever reason, we wound up with it at DHL, and it was subsequently lost over Uberlingen in 2002..wait and see..

Trader
13th Jan 2007, 06:26
Hell you could even leave the 67's alone in the back end and just ensure they maintain them adequatly to avoid the tech delays. For many of the subcontinent routes the clientel trashes the interior so provided they are kept ONLY on those routes and not subsituted on, for ex a BEY, which really pisses of the biz class pax that bought a ticket they could stay as is. As was mentioned they are relatively new.

Ray Darr
13th Jan 2007, 07:07
brassplate was spot on when he said that would be well spent to make Freight-Dogs out of at least some of the 76's - regardless of the lease-payments that would be on top of the conversion costs.

You guys have so much potential freight business in and through Bahrain that is being IGNORED by your "Bored" of Directors!

(Speaking of the "Bored"... they seem to all have "Ostrich-Syndrome" if you ask around! The lot of them are more concerned about petty things other than RUNNING AN AIRLINE - MAKING DECISIONS, etc. Come on, Boyz-in-the-Bored - stop playing kissy-poo together and noisily sipping skanky tea whilst mindlessly nodding approval at one fluffy idea or another - and RUN your AIRLINE (or empower that new guy to run it PROPERLY (whoever he is...)! Get your heads out of the sand..!)

I.B. and Trader mention plans that makes sense (although a cosmetic touch-up is an understatement - GUT THE INTERIORS and MAKE 'EM LOOK AS PROUD AS YOUR PEOPLE ARE THAT FLY THEM!!)

Unfortunately, the "Bored" will likely ok to toss away airframes and get the wrong ones for the market, mebets. :ugh:

Good luck y'all.

ironbutt57
13th Jan 2007, 07:14
Apparently they HAVE signed a contract to get the cabin trainer refurbed...:D

Sal-e
13th Jan 2007, 07:22
cabin trainer only?

ironbutt57
13th Jan 2007, 07:24
That we are aware of yes....maybe something else is in the works, but as of yet not made known to us....at least as it stands now, the cabin trainer is a good representation of the actual aircraft interior...

Panama Jack
13th Jan 2007, 15:17
Apparently they HAVE signed a contract to get the cabin trainer refurbed...:D

Cool! Are they putting the award-winning Skybeds in it with the golden-hued carpet? :}

boiler
15th Jan 2007, 04:27
Ray Darr is correct in saying that GF does not own the B767 fleet. The "BORED" may decide not to renew the lease of those aircraft thinking it can reduce the losses. This will be the beginning of the end. Once you start to downsize, it will be a never ending cycle to continue to cut routes and aircraft until nothing is left. :(

Panama Jack
15th Jan 2007, 05:51
If the B767's are not owned by Gulf Air, I am just curious whether they were previously owned by GF and sold by Skeik Ahmed to Skeik Ahmed & Co. years ago?

Sal-e
10th Nov 2007, 18:37
I think everyone has been wrong on this one. I hear they're still getting rid of the 76s. Some plans obviously don't go all the way. Oh well, win some, lose some.

Panama Jack
10th Nov 2007, 20:00
Wow Sal-e, you must be really bored tonight reviving 10-month old messages from the grave. :confused:

Panama Jack
11th Nov 2007, 03:10
Interesting history scanscanscan. Thanks for sharing that with us. :)

Sal-e
11th Nov 2007, 06:21
Not bored PJ, just recapping the year since I joined and the anticipated changes which made it (or not).