PDA

View Full Version : Good sunnies to wear for flying?

JulieFlyGal
12th Jan 2007, 03:13
any recommendations? I'm thinking of getting light weight RayBans. are there any sunnies which are specifically for flying? don't really care about the "look good" factor. just need something to protect my eyes from uv and the like.

the wizard of auz
12th Jan 2007, 03:19
well any sunnies that block the sun from your eyes and your comfortable wearing should cover it. Some of those great big dame Edna ones with the glistening stonewear around the edges will definitely give you a recognized at 100 feet look though. :}

kiwiblue
12th Jan 2007, 03:50
Julie: Ray Bans are good, if a little cliche'd :) they used to be suppliers to the US military I think -a role taken over by Randolph of late. I use Serengeti's. They're brilliant lenses, but the frames tend to be a little weak -you have to look after them: in a case when not wearing them, rather than a shirt pocket! The lenses are photocromatic also. They're expensive, but IMO the most bang for the buck.
Best to stay away from polarised lenses. They create optical illusions in-flight, especially as you pull your aircraft into the flare! Disconcerting!
Comfort is the biggie though -they tend to be worn for extended periods! Have a look at the temples too, make sure they're not too fat as they can destroy the passive noise retention of your headset.

DickyPearse
12th Jan 2007, 04:13
I had a similar thought a few weeks back and searched the forums for "sunglasses". A very good thread which covered everything to do with avaiation glassess popped out (fit with headset, polarised lenses, weight, coverage etc etc) - well worth the time to do a similar search

Wanderin_dave
12th Jan 2007, 04:15
Cheap ones!! I keep coming up with new ways to break them. Make sure they're uv filtering too, gotta look after those eyes.

heywatchthis
12th Jan 2007, 04:17
I alternate between Oakleys GASCAN and Raybans PREDATOR.. Both good protection, and wrap around. Also if you are wearing a headset the Rayban fit under nicely without giving you a headache! The best part about Raybans, you break a lense they will replace it dirt cheap. Just bought two new lenses from Rayban, $25.00, free shipping! I live in the US though

Dont cheat your eyes, I know of number of old pilots including my old man who have had Cataracts due to long periods of exposure to the sun at altitude.. :sad: :eek: :sad: :eek: :sad: :eek:

flyinghigh53
12th Jan 2007, 04:35
Definately recommend Serengeti's. Remarkable lense but they do come at a price. You will have to search around for a good pair...not many outlets stock them unfortunately. Haven't experienced any visual illusions with the polarised lense since i've had them, and i flown in some extreme weather! The main problem arises when flying in glass cockpits where, at certain angles, the PFD's appear to black out. But if you aren't flying in glass cockpits, then there's no problem. :ok:

404 Titan
12th Jan 2007, 05:39
Just bought another pare of Serengeti's the other day as I broke my others. Excellent lense and are available with NON polarised lenses as I fly glass cockpit aircraft and polarised lense aren't compatable with efis and most windows that are heated.

distracted cockroach
12th Jan 2007, 07:09
Yeah, steer clear of polarised lenses. I second (third?) Serengetis. They are great and come in lots of fashionable as well as practical styles.
Try on the glasses you like outside too. You can't get a good idea of what they are like from a quick try-on in a shop or mall, and if you are going to spend several hundred bucks, you want to be sure.
A worthwhile shop will let you trial a pair, or exchange if they turn out to be unsuitable.
I like wrap-around ones that prevent reflections coming in from the side.

Going Nowhere
12th Jan 2007, 08:06
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also in the market for new sunnies. Does anyone know where you could try on these Serengeti's in the Brisbane area?

Howard Hughes
12th Jan 2007, 09:51
A fourth recommendation for Serengeti's...:ok:

witwiw
12th Jan 2007, 10:02
definately try and find ones that protect your eyes from sunlight coming from the sides and below the frames. a lot of aviation-oriented sunnies (ie raybans) are designed like this. really good feature when flying above a layer of cloud in daytime.

i found it hard getting my latest pair of sunnies (even though it was 2 for $35, but all sunnies sold in Aus meet certain minimum 'safe' requirements) to sufficiently cover my eyes from the annoying light from below/side of the frame.
really the only ones that weren't aimed at aviation that stopped all the light coming from around the outside of the frames was those stupid bloody blowfly type ones you see all the uni fellas wearing trying to be in the lastest fasions and that look like EXACTLY the same ones as the women wear.... :yuk:

i had a really good pair that fitted me brilliantly for years. had them since before i began flying but unfortunately they broke. i then came to realise after having another pair (one of the 2 for $35's) broken in flight that whatever you buy, be prepared for them to break and you having to fork out for another pair, no matter how careful you are.

in short, buy what blocks light from the outside of the frames from creeping in, that fits you comfortably under a headset and which you can afford to replace easily!

as for which brand to reccommend, i cannot help sorry... shop around!

clear to land
12th Jan 2007, 10:20
I am another Serengetti convert. After 20+ years of Raybans, I now swear by the 'S'. The photochromatic lenses are brilliant between cloud layers, and the titanium frames (velocity model) strong, light and look good too. They are available with brown or neutral-grey lenses. Cost over AU$300 but worth every cent. Sunglass Huts stock them in Aust/NZ. Only problem I have with them is, after a few months, I regularly have to retighten the frame screws to prevent lens fall. Found that out the hard/expensive way! :)

the dean
12th Jan 2007, 10:30
yep...serengettis for me...though i have been known to buy things at flea markets in florida that will work ( seeing through haze or mist )..

i would have to admit that i would worry about the benefit of otherwise to the eyes of cheap glasses.

they all do the job especially if the are orange or similar and this seems to me the best if trying to see through haze...but the serengettis will do this and i would think , protect the eyes too. they are glass remember and so need cleaning and careful looking after ( not the kind of thing i'm good at )

so try around. its often a matter of what you.....sorry lost you in the sun there for a moment...!!.:sad: .feel comfortable wearing and ( most important for VFR flying...) work in haze.

the dean.:8

djpil
12th Jan 2007, 10:33
http://www.zurichsunglasses.com/
Can get one to fit over presciption glasses - fit the sportstrap so it doesn't interfere with the headset. I've had one pair for 10 years now. A couple of years ago one of the lugs at the temple broke and they sent me a replacement for cost of postage - about $3.

Bug Smasher Smasher
12th Jan 2007, 10:41
I reckon rockin up to work in a pair of these would go down a treat! :cool:
http://www.devamarine.co.uk/images/oakley_overthetop.jpg
No it's not a bra.

I think. :}

Akubra
12th Jan 2007, 14:47
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also in the market for new sunnies. Does anyone know where you could try on these Serengeti's in the Brisbane area?

Got a pair of Serengeti's from the Sunglass Clearance Warehouse last weekend. ( 275 Logan Road, Stones Corner)
Your best bet would be to surf the net and find a style that you want then give them a ring and see if they have them.

Regards.

Orographic
12th Jan 2007, 15:17
ok, to hijack the thread again, this time in a diffrent direction

what would people recommend for those of us who vision is ... not quite so perfect ?

My presciption glasses do not cover full field, just most of it, so there is a carona of uncorrected around them visable. would "clip-ons" be able to correct for that, or is it a case of get another frame for flying?

capson
12th Jan 2007, 15:26
Have to be "Serengeti"...:p :D :)

12th Jan 2007, 17:24
PRADA - Have used them for years, no problems, Used Ray Ban Serengetti etc and they are good but these work well in Low level light [gloom] and Bright sunny days.

redsnail
12th Jan 2007, 20:32
A quick search of the word sunglasses (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10763&highlight=sunglasses) yielded very good results.

Enjoy.

Aquaplaner
12th Jan 2007, 20:44
Some other factors to consider are steer clear of sunnies that affect your peripheral vision i.e. sunglasses with thick plastic arms.
Don't buy sunglasses that are tinted too dark (you want to be able to wear them in dim light as well to reduce glare).
Sunglasses with big thick arms or ones that jut out like some of the old Oakleys did just wont fit, or will be uncomfortable underneath a GA headset.
Serengeti's are great as the photo chromatic lens gets darker as the light intensity increases. But they are expensive ~$350. Sunglass Hut and Bright Eyes both stock Serengeti's last time I checked.

pilotads
12th Jan 2007, 21:37
Thin side bands to fit under your headset, but also strong ones the number of time i've tried to wip off my sunnies and they snaped because i'm wearing my headset, don't go expensive you can get bloody good wrap arounds for 30-40 bucks I haven't had a problem with polorised I've heard its only a problem with tinted windows and newer instrument pannels they haven't been a problem for me.

the wizard of auz
12th Jan 2007, 21:44
I use the ones supplied by the mines I visit. great glasses and I get them free. they are wrap arounds as well. whenever they get a scratch, I just get a new pair from the storeman. alway got a spare pair in the glovebox.

speedjet
12th Jan 2007, 21:46
If you are a QF employee try a search in Qrewroom for details on the cheapest way to get Serengetti sunglasses. If you are not try this link

http://www.sunglassclearancewarehouse.com.au/Welcome.html

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
12th Jan 2007, 22:31
Randolph Engineering ( Aviator, three sizes, get the smallest/middle size )do a pretty good pair of sunnies, the have tinted glass lenses ( not polarised ) the arms are flat blades so you can easily slide them under your headset and your headset does not push on your ears.

MAKO also do awesome rap around sunnies, unfortunately they are Polarised.
Try to keep away from Polarised sunnies, they make it hard to see LCD displays.

DO NOT buy Ray Bans Aviators, does not matter how nice a guy/gal you maybe, if any respectable pilots was to see you in public wearing them they would be obligated to beat you up ;) .

witwiw
13th Jan 2007, 01:42
whenever they get a scratch, I just get a new pair from the storeman.

if they are cheap style plastic lenses, use a product called Plexus on them. its a perspex/plastic polish and its brilliant stuff- not only for GA windows, but for cheapo sunnies and getting minor scratches out of CDs!!! its almost as useful as WD-40!

Taggert
13th Jan 2007, 01:58
Hi, if you are keen on Serengetti's, once you have found out what model you like from within Oz, visit eyesave.com and compare the prices. They are based in the US and do Serengetti's for about half the price. I got Cascade's for $160 vrs >$300 in Oz.

the wizard of auz
13th Jan 2007, 02:02
if they are cheap style plastic lenses, use a product called Plexus on them. its a perspex/plastic polish and its brilliant stuff- not only for GA windows, but for cheapo sunnies and getting minor scratches out of CDs!!! its almost as useful as WD-40!

That option would cost me far more than I pay for my sunny's. :D the cheapest option for me is to just get another pair. :D
The ones I get are pretty good quality, and quite scratch resistant........but I'm a real bully when it comes to glasses and can wreck the best of them pretty quick. :}

VikNZ
13th Jan 2007, 03:48
Got heaps of advice myself from a range of ppl leaning towards Ray-bans or Serengeti's... was advised by optometrist ppl to look for non-polarised, grey/green lenses (don't get too dark when overcast nor brighten things up unrealistically)

I ended up picking up a pair of Arnette's.. thin metal frame so easy fit with headset, and can get away with wearing them when not flying too... so can't complain too much, after seeing how some of the alternatives looked on me they would have been be strictly cockpit only (although I know that we don't really worry about those types of things, do we?! :O )

OpsNormal
13th Jan 2007, 04:08
At present I'm using Maui Jim hingeless titanium arms/frames. A few reasons why:
* The arms are flexible, flat and very slender, thus there is next to no noise able to penetrate the gel earseal where the arms of the sunnies sit against yer scone.
* Again because they have very flat and flexible arms, you don't get that annoying "my head's been in a vice" feeling after wearing them with your headset for a number of hours on end.
* The lenses fit the shape of my head well and there are no large open areas for stray light to enter my eyes.
* They are exceedingly light. You can be wearing them for hours and forget that you are wearing them. This is a double edged sword - see below.
* I have had no issues with heated/treated windscreens.

They do however, have a couple of drawbacks:
* When you look at some GPS's directly, they can occaisionally appear black/blank. Tilt/move your head ever so slightly - problem gone. I believe that this is more to do with there being a band of polarised material in the lens (which is quite easy to see when looking at the lenses from the front, they appear to have a horizontal band running across them).
* They can be blown off your head by a sudden gust of wind if you have them pushed up on top of said scone while not using them.
I have recently had my Maui's in getting a warranty repair for a cracked lens (they are covered by a very generous warranty - they were actually replaced FOC despite being over 12 months old), and had reverted temporarily back to an old pair of glass lensed Ray Bans that I used to wear before the Mauis. Talk about heavy sunnies!
Sunnies are like shoes in many ways. Each person needs different sizes/shapes etc etc. Choose what is best for you by begging/borrowing/stealing other peoples and "test driving" them in flight. You'll soon work out what works for you.

PilotHTR
13th Jan 2007, 05:44
I like the bugs to think that it is just a larger cousin drivng the thing they smash into, so the last thing they see is me wearing a nice, big and fecking ugly pair that I got from Paris Hilton last time she was in getting her brain topped up (took a total of 20 IQ points to fill it, too!) :)
NO, I jest (really!) - I use a pair of grey, polarised Bolle's with nice flat arms that have not the slightest effect on the ANR (or passive) of my Bose X. I have not had any trouble with the polarised lens - indeed I think depth and color perception is greatly improved. Granted you can get blocking of the image from any LCD, but only if you rotate your head 90 degrees in the coronal plane, and not even Linda Blair could do that..
I know a CFI who has a neat solution to the problem of the arms in the earpeice - just sits them on the bridge of the nose as usual, then rests the arms ON TOP of the ear cuffs. Looks a bit funny, but you can't beat experience, and he owns that.

the wizard of auz
13th Jan 2007, 06:29
I know a CFI who has a neat solution to the problem of the arms in the earpeice - just sits them on the bridge of the nose as usual, then rests the arms ON TOP of the ear cuffs. Looks a bit funny, but you can't beat experience, and he owns that.

Thats exactly how I have been wearing mine for the last six or so years. Dunno if he owns it, but its a good plan. stops your head getting squashed and your headset leaking noise. I have to do it coz me nose is crooked. :}

PilotHTR
13th Jan 2007, 06:52
I was suggesting that he is a very experienced pilot, not that he has the method patented!!!
Yep - I do it as well to ease the pressure behinhd the ears from time to time, especially on long trips.
CHeers

The_Cutest_of_Borg
13th Jan 2007, 07:48
Serengeti's are available on EBAY, brand new for about 1/3 of what you would pay in a shop.

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com.au%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=serengeti+sunglasses&category0=

the wizard of auz
13th Jan 2007, 07:56
All the way from china no doubt. :} that would make them sewangetties. :}

kiwiblue
13th Jan 2007, 07:56
Given the 'thread drift' apparent here, one would think the whole polarised lens issue with regards aviation was a recent thing related solely to glass cockpits... NOT SO.

As a student back in the late 70's (when polarised lenses were all the rage -waaaaay before the advent of a glass cockpit) we were advised not to accept a polarised lens for aviation use!!!

They CAN and DO create an optical illusion late in the flare (when your eye is looking more towards the bottom of the lens) that is at the very least disconcerting! I don't intend to detract from the fact of the problems asscociated with a polarised lens and a glass cockpit, but to be clear, stress there is more to it than just that.

Simply, polarised lenses and aviation are not a good mix.

OpsNormal
13th Jan 2007, 08:54
Someone asked about prescriptions?
These are the ones I am using at present (no I do not need a prescription for eyesight I might add), you'll see they are available in prescription as well. Click Here (http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/catalog/consumer_sunglass_product.jsp?WS909FRAMESTYLEID=501&mWS944PRODSKU=501-02)
Kiwiblue wrote:
Simply, polarised lenses and aviation are not a good mix.
Much has changed, especially in the design of optical lenses (which might account for the distortion of the viewed image you spoke about in 1970's sunglasses).
Any float or floating hull driver might also disagree with you about that statement when operating around the water. I certainly have no issues with my pair in that regard.
Have a good'n!
Rgds,
OpsN;)

CAPTBOB
13th Jan 2007, 11:04
I'm with Kiwiblue. Just LUV my Serengeti's. Pax hate them, the landing is always very ordinary if you try to land with them. I always take them off when that funny voice goes "Five Hundred". They do take some looking after though. One major design fault is that when the arms close over, they rest on the lense and not on the frame, this tends to eventually leave significant marks on the lense itself. Best to have one of those glass cords like your nanna has if you arent good at keeping them in the case.

Keg
13th Jan 2007, 12:02
The main problem arises when flying in glass cockpits where, at certain angles, the PFD's appear to black out. But if you aren't flying in glass cockpits, then there's no problem. :ok:

As a couple of others have pointed out there are BIG issues with polarised lenses in aircraft with window heating. You'll get a lovely but very significant rainbow effect when looking out the windows. It's hugely distracting and makes it impossible to operate effectively. It's also getting very hard to find glasses (particularly prescription glasses or clip ons) that aren't polarised so make sure you sus it out. Most guys I fly with recommend the serengetis.

Don't underestimate the issue of wearing sunnies with a head set. Even a light weight head set such as we use in QF can cause big head aches when worn in concert with sunnies (or normal glasses) that have thick arms on them.

Nil Flaps
13th Jan 2007, 16:44
JulieFlyGal, I'm sure this has all been said before.

Stay away from polarised lenses. I've flown with them and found it very hard to see instruments; not glass cockpit either. Mirror lenses are a no-no I'm told, but I forget why. I chose a grade 3, brown-tinted lense because all the greys I tried seemed too dark. Some say brown lenses are rubbish for flying but they work for me.

Choose a pair with thin arms. Better fit under headset earseals (smaller gaps), therefore better noise reduction.

Go to a store to try the sunnies on before you buy them! No good buying what looks good in a photo, only to discover later that you look like a complete pillock with 'em on. :}

But most important of all, spend as much as you can possibly afford on a great pair of lenses. Your eyes take a hammering up there. Shell servo sunnies definitely not recommended. :}

For what it's worth I wear Ray Ban (the poor man's Serengeti's or Maui Jim's) Sidestreets RB3183 and I'd recommend them.

Cheers.

ITCZ
14th Jan 2007, 12:47
Useful guide to selecting a pair of aviation sunglasses here at Flight Safety Foundation human factors newsletter (http://www.flightsafety.org/pubs/hfam_2002.html).

You will need to register (its free) to access. Worth the trouble for this and other articles.

Sunfish
15th Jan 2007, 04:40
If someone hadn't started this thread I would have started it today. By coincidenceI have a very expensive pair of polarised sunglasses (Mako) that are very convenient for fishing and boat manouvering in coral and suchlike. Very restful to look through - or so I thought.

After reading up on UV and cataracts I decided to use sunglasses more - while driving and flying and I tried the Makos for the last month. Results: Found it difficult to see small numbers on gauges - no problem, just look harder; my landings went from merely awful to terrible - couldn't figure it out. Then three near misses while driving in perfect conditions - I didn't see a cyclist and two motorists - couldn't figure it out.

Then I wore them all day fishing last week and by the afternoon I was getting annoyed - didn't know why. A Snapper broke off my hook and I went to replace it but couldn't seem to align line with hook eye. Took off glasses - result perfect (if glary) vision.

These F^&&*ing overpriced glasses have shocking optics that subtly alter your peripheral vision as well as your focussing ability!

I'm going to get Serengetis tomorrow.

sir.pratt
15th Jan 2007, 05:42
i found some really nice Rudy Project frames, and had Ray Ban 'aviator' tint (green) lenses fitted into them at the optometrist. $50 for the frames, $90 for the lenses. Green is the best colour I reckon - the smoke appears too dark in shadow, and mirror (like Oakley/Adidas etc) don't seem to like swapping from light/dark quickly

JulieFlyGal
15th Jan 2007, 06:43
wow, thanks for all the responses. i wasn't expecting so many replies. it will take some time to digest all the good oil from these posts. i'm keen to try serengetis based on ppls recommendations here altho its prolly a bit way past my budget. thanks again for taking the time to respond.

kiwiblue
15th Jan 2007, 06:43
I'm going to get Serengetis tomorrow.

Now you're talking Sunfish :ok:

NOSIGN
15th Jan 2007, 09:51
I swear by the grandma string! I used to drop my sunnies every third pre-flight, chipping the glass until I bought my grandma (or sports) string. I have not scratched my lenses since. I wear it all the time. I have never forgotten my glasses after dinner, left them on a seat to get sat on by the LAME, or dropped them on a pre-flight. Fantastic invention.

pakeha-boy
15th Jan 2007, 19:06
.....SMITHS.....made in Idaho....glass lense,brown(tan) or green(military) ...great for flying,skiing,biking,sailing and slap and tickle marathons(dont fog up)....they fix em for free,...cost $100-160.....PB

tinpis
16th Jan 2007, 07:52
Chaaa....neat eh cuzzy......look deadly in the mug shots eh?

SMITH OPTICS (http://www.smithoptics.com/Cayman_108_24.html)

Transition Layer
16th Jan 2007, 15:56
Forget it, its all about looking good and impressing the hosties when they come to the flight deck, with some kick ass designer sunnies (which you actually bought in Bangkok for 300 Baht).

Sunfish
16th Jan 2007, 19:39
Serengeti Velocity Titanium, drivers gradient photochromic lenses - $150 at the Bolle Factory outlet - 172 Wellington St. Collingwood. Very restful to the peepers. Thank you! Jobs done!:ok:

Swift6
16th Jan 2007, 23:35
Just thought I'd add my bit about Serengeti's, I put them through the ultimate test at Chatswood Grace brothers (remember those days before they were Myers!). Coming down on the escalators I thought it was getting rather hot so i took off my jumper, as I did this I managed to send my sunnies 5 stories down under the influence of gravity!

Expecting the worst I was suprised to find them still intact with not a scratch (that I could see anyhow), the frames were just slightly bent out of shape.

I'm on my second pair of serengetis and I know they're expensive but their worth every cent. I'm going to try and look after these ones a little better!:8

404 Titan
17th Jan 2007, 03:47
I have a similar story with my Serengeti's from a couple of years ago. I had a layover of about 48 hours in Vancouver so myself and the other F/O and S/O decided we would go up to Whistler for the night. Anyway to cut a long story short I got pretty intoxicated that night and while staggering back to my room fell flat on my face on brick pavers. There wasn’t a scratch on the Serengeti’s but my nose and left eye didn’t come off so unscathed. Very battered and bruised for a week or so.:ouch:

hirobowen
17th Jan 2007, 22:21
Just purchased my third pair of Serengetti Summit 5602 with Driver lenses from Frames Direct in Texas.

AUD $139 Delivered.

Fantastic !

Jarule
17th Jan 2007, 22:54
Expensive sunnies..........can't do it anymore!

Have bought (and broken) them all. Now I just go down to the sevo and pay $20.
All tests and surveys say that the cheap ones are as good and sometimes better than the expensive ones. You can buy and trash 15 pairs for one pair of Serengettis. For me, the cheapies last just as long! The last pair of cheap ones I bought, I absolutely hated them as I bought them in a rush but they lasted ages before I finally lost them.
Anyone know how much it costs to make a $300 pair of sunnies? my guess is abou $5, if I am wrong I'll bet the normal mark up from manufacturing costs must be at least 3 to 400%.

If you check the mirror before you leave home in the morning and say to yourself " Gee I look good in my Serengettis" then go buy some, if you are not so vain, take a trip to the servo!

But, if you think all I have said is garbage at least take heed of this....
DO NOT buy Polarised sunnies if you are going to fly an aircraft while wearing them.

bentleg
17th Jan 2007, 23:25
CASA has some good stuff on sunnies in the DAME handbook http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/dame/index.htm
2.1.13 Sunglasses
Glare is often a cause of significant discomfort when flying above cloud or when flying into the sun. Sunglasses may be required in such circumstances.
There are two basic factors to consider when selecting sunglasses, namely the frame and the lenses.
Any spectacle frame reduces the field of vision. Narrow frames that carry large lenses are desirable. The most critical problem with frames arises from the presence of wide sidearms which significantly impair the peripheral visual field.
Sunglass lenses should protect the eyes from glare while not adversely affecting the visual cues necessary for safe flight. Accordingly, lenses should not be too dark, and should transmit at least 15% of incident light. The tint used should be "neutral density" (N.D.), that is, a greyish tint that does not distort colour perception or adversely affect red signal
detection and recognition. The recommended tint is N.D.15.
Lenses of polycarbonate are preferred because of their impact-resistance and ability to absorb ultra-violet and infrared rays. However, these lenses can scratch readily and any scratched spectacles should be discarded.
To ensure that sunglasses provide adequate protection from solar radiation that may damage the eyes, only those sunglasses that conform to the current Australian Standard should be worn.
Sunglasses that conform to the current Australian Standard also meet acceptable standards for lens quality, frame strength and lens retention.
For aviation use, those sunglasses marked "Specific Purpose Sunglasses" are
recommended, provided their frames are appropriate. The lenses of these sunglasses have been specifically designed for use in conditions of intense glare, such as in flight above cloud. At high altitude, atmospheric absorption of ultra-violet radiation is reduced.
Polarising sunglasses should not be used when flying. The polarising filter interacts with the cockpit transparency to produce a distorted and degraded visual field that poses a threat to air safety.
The pilot who already wears prescription spectacles for flying can choose from a number of options for glare protection. Prescription sunglasses with N.D.15 lenses can be obtained, or N.D.15 clip-on or flip-up sunglasses may be worn over prescription spectacles.
Pilots who require correction of their near vision only and who wear "look-overs" are advised to obtain bifocals and a plano upper segment. Clip-on or flip-up sunglasses can then be worn. However, the dangers of flip-ups previously mentioned should be recalled.
I wear prescription sunnies ND15 tint with a graduated focus to read maps

WilliamOK
18th Jan 2007, 04:04
Where is a good stockist of Serengeti Sunglasses in Melbourne. Is there a factory outlet or something?

criticalmass
18th Jan 2007, 09:56
I will only use Zeiss Dark Umbral lenses set in very thin frames with thin side-wings so they don't get pressed into my temples by the headsset.

The lenses are optical glass and therefore rather soft. Any good frames can be used. Most optometrists can order a set of lenses and set them in a frame. Expect $300-330 Aust for the job. Buy a good case to keep them in when not wearing them. A neck-strap is also helpful.

NOtimTAMs
18th Jan 2007, 11:29
I find a set of clip on ND15's cut in ~half (at the point where the glareshield meets the sky in the usual ACFT I fly) and clipped to a spectacle frame (even if 0 dioptre lenses) gives the best all round performance.

In VMC, my eyes are protected from the outside glare but I can still see the instruments clearly and when flying IFR in and out of cloud, where it can fluctuate one minute from dead dark to bloody glary (when skimming along through tops) my eyes are still protected and I can still see the instruments despite the fluctuating glare and darkness without putting sunnies on and off. And you can easily flip the clip ons up when you're before the the minima when in poor viz to actually see your landing point!

Ordinary sunnies render it fairly difficult to see some non-backlit LCD displays -especially polarised lenses.

You have to hunt around for an optometrist that stocks non polarised clip-ons or will order them in - they're quite cheap. The set-up works well but looks bloody dorky, though - don't forget to put on a "proper" pair of cool looking sunnies once on the ground!!:O

putzy
18th Jan 2007, 13:09
Only one pair of shades for the true aviator ; Oakley gold iridium. Great low level low vis, and in bright conditions .
Used these bush flying all over the world and in airline flying. They are the most important piece of kit I use, including co's.

Stop this Serrengeti nonsense now

JulieFlyGal
25th Oct 2009, 07:48
I need a new pair of sunnies now. Has anyone bought from United Shades (http://www.unitedshades.com/)? If so, are they reliable and how long does it take for Fed Ex delivery?

tmpffisch
25th Oct 2009, 07:56
JulieFlyGal, can't remember where you're from (Syd I think) but try Oakley directly if there if they have an office/showroom close by. Here in Melbourne they provide generous discounts for pilots, 40% off the top of my head which definatly makes it cheaper than buying from the states.
The DFO at Moorabbin Airport also passes this discount on to pilots.

Oakley is the Australian distributor for Serengetti if that happens to be your preference.

Stationair8
25th Oct 2009, 08:05
1. Rayban Outdoorsman with the grey lense, must be good because somebody decided recently they needed them more than I did. Purchased them in Darwin in the late 80's, one of the best investments ever made. Although during a tax audit the following year, the ATO auditor desperately wanted to knock them back as he stated they might be worn outside of work hours!

2. Randolph Engineering Standard Issue is the replacement for the trusty Rayban's.

YBMK Tower
25th Oct 2009, 08:30
MAN PRADA!!! Hey markmoud?!!:ok::O:8

JulieFlyGal
25th Oct 2009, 08:47
I'd rather not order from overseas because I'd like to try them on. tmpffisch, do they sell RayBans with the 40% discount at DFO?

Stationair8, thanks for the recommendation. My first pair were RayBans but would you believe it, I lost them last week and need a new pair. I had a look at the RayBan Outdoorsman (http://www.unitedshades.com/product.asp?idmodel=rb3407&switchtocol=004/68)but they're not quite my style.

I was thinking of getting these RayBans (http://www.unitedshades.com/product.asp?idmodel=rb4118&switchtocol=730) instead. Any thoughts?

tmpffisch
25th Oct 2009, 08:54
Just checked the DFO website. It's Bolle that distributes Serengetti. They don't stock Ray Ban I don't think.

Aerohooligan
25th Oct 2009, 08:54
Definitely an enormous pair of gold-rimmed traiditional 'aviators'. Probably with a flight suit and leather jacket if you can afford them...and don't forget to get some nice big gold wings to complete the ensemble. :p

In all seriousness, I've found that anything will do, even $12.00 servo sunnies. If you've got money to spare, I recommend some Serengetis or Ray-Bans. Provided you don't lose them, like I always do, they'll serve you well. :ok:

gkja
25th Oct 2009, 09:01
Oakley Crosshairs.Great with headsets,great lenses.

go_soaring
25th Oct 2009, 11:14
The best sunnies that my old man has come across in his 30years of gliding are Eagle Eyes: Eagle Eyes High Performance Eyewear (http://www.eagleeyes.com/) with the brown tint. EXCELLENT for cloud definition. Though looking at their website, the designs look pretty radical (read little odd!) compared to the originals.

I fly with the boring old Serengetties with the rose tint. I find them too excellent for cloud definition.

go_soaring! instead

j3pipercub
25th Oct 2009, 13:54
Definitely an enormous pair of gold-rimmed traiditional 'aviators'. Probably with a flight suit and leather jacket if you can afford them...and don't forget to get some nice big gold wings to complete the ensemble.

So you've seen me flying then Aero?

Actually, honestly, not taking the p!ss. I do wear Ray Ban Aviators. Smaller ones, 56mm (I think) gold rimmed, green glass. I reckon they're fantastic. Just don't wear them after you've shut down if you're flying a 152, or an instructor (unless instructing on Hawks, PC-9s etc) :}

pistinaround
25th Oct 2009, 17:53
as long as they dont take any attention off your massive pilots watch anything goes !!!

Aerohooligan
26th Oct 2009, 00:48
That's right J3, it's not the sunnies you wear, it's how you wear them.

Wearing fashionable, understated sunnies doesn't help if you're still a w#nker underneath, just as wearing massive, outlandish Elton John sunnies doesn't change a thing if you're totally freaking awesome. :ok:

I like to hedge my bets and wear something that sits nicely in between. :E

the air up there
26th Oct 2009, 01:53
On the polarized lenses. May just depend on the shape of the lense. Had two pairs now. Both polarized, both Oakleys. First pair great for general flying if maybe a little dark, so in low light conditions they had to be placed on top of the head. Also, they were cheapies ($300, I wasnt working in aviation when I bought them) and I experienced the optical illusions when landing.

Second pair are also Oakleys (way more expensive and also bought when working outside aviation) and polarized and in 1000hrs of flying haven't caused any problems (VFR and IFR), with no optical illusions on landing, nil complaints and many compliments from passengers. Both pairs have good eye coverage and thin arms but are a little to big to fit under a headset, solution, put the arms on top of the headset. No problems with the reading of instruments with those ones either.

I have experienced the 'blacking out' of LCD screens with them though. Solution to this is to keep the head level. When my head is tilted sideways the polarization must line up (or whatever it does) and causes the screen to go blank or black. Never had any problems with picking up other aircraft or peripherals.

I must say that my newer glasses aren't as dark, and I think this an important consideration and they maybe good for outside or high light environments, but look back into the cockpit and you cant see or they are to dark to wear in low light conditions, not good as there can still be lots of glare then.

Just my experience.

777WakeTurbz
27th Oct 2009, 02:39
Havnt had time to read the whole thread yet to see if this is included, but I am about to buy 2 new sets of prescription glasses, one of which i was going to get with the "Transition" lenses, or possibly even the "DriveWear" lenses, which is basically transition lenses with the photochromatic layer in them.

Does anyone use either of these lenses and if so do they affect your vision through heated screens or black out your LCD equipment?

Torquatus
27th Oct 2009, 03:39
Transistions won't affect LCDs, they aren't actually polarising. I quite like them for general use, but mine don't really get dark enough for flying (for my money). Not sure if you can get darker ones.

SemperFly
27th Oct 2009, 12:56
I'll have to throw my recommendation in for Serengeti. Got mine from this place in MEL Sunglasses contact lenses spectacles buy discount sunglasses online - best names at the best prices (http://www.optics-online.com.au/.)

Good prices and they arrived in three days.

frigatebird
27th Oct 2009, 21:37
Back when I didn't need reading glasses, I worked in a country that had malaria. Didn't want it to affect me so took the anti-malarials daily. Went from brands Niviquin, Paludrin, Maloprim etc, whatever was available and effective at the time. Noticed that when I was above cloud that my sunnies weren't as effective, so when I was out on leave bought a darker pair. Then I read an article about the long term effect that continued use of anti-malarials (they didn't actually stop you getting the 'bug', they just suppress the symptoms) could do to your eyes. So I went off the tablets. Later I noticed my new sunnies were now too dark, so went back to the old ones for a while. Seems the iris had been dilated letting in too much light, but over time again it came good, luckily I never did get malaria (touch wood for the future) while in that environment.

Requiring reading focus after age 41, I initially had small look-over lenses as the outside vision was still sharp, but it complicated the sunnie arrangment. One solution was to have a top section shaded but not magnified, graduated to a clear bi-focal prescription segment at the bottom for reading charts and small print. The really important thing I found, was to sit in the aircraft that was mostly flown, and note where the top of the glareshield cut your line of vision in the normal head level position. If you get the position of the segment wrong when drafting the prescription, then you may have hours of neckstrain, just tilting your head forward or back that little bit to get the outside/ inside reationship right, if you can't adjust the glasses just right.
The trouble with prescription, as always, is that after a year or three, you have to go through the exercise all over again for another set as your eyes change.

One last thing, that has been mentioned, - is the fit of the frame under the headset for long periods. Annoying if you get it wrong there.

onezeroonethree
24th Feb 2010, 08:51
Bump time...

Been a while since this thread was busy so a brief recap of the previous 4 pages:

Most people's recommendations were the Serengeti Velocity glasses... photochromatic lenses... people seemed very happy with these...

Also people recommending to avoid using polarised sunnies...

SO............. I was googling around and came across this pprune thread: http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/108305-best-pilot-sunglasses.html regarding photochromatic lenses in the medical-health forum and noticed pretty much every post on there was against the use of photochromatic lenses (which most if not all serengeti sunnies are? at least I think the popular velocity type are...)... I think there are a few references to some theory books in the UK and some CAA advisories that recommend not to wear them while flying (just search "photochromatic" to make skimming through the threads easier).

Just thought it was interesting as none of the aussies / kiwis in this thread seemed to mention any bad things regarding photochromatic lenses while the thread posted above had a tonne of it...?

xxgoldxx
24th Feb 2010, 11:27
I used to swear Serengeti's were only for W@#nkers...

now I swear by them...

check the link a few posts ago.. this mob was great...

onezeroonethree
24th Feb 2010, 22:29
I'm just wondering why nobody on this thread has mentioned anything bad about photochromatic glasses... I want to be sure that they're fine!

The Green Goblin
24th Feb 2010, 23:55
Another thumbs up for serengettis. I was wearing raybans (not the aviator style) for the last two pairs and thought I would give serengettis a go.

Your eyes feel like a million dollars and flying around the tropics with the builds makes cloud definition second to none.

I'll be buying another pair when these ones break! (Try ebay if you don't want to pay up to $400 for a pair)

Old Akro
25th Feb 2010, 00:27
I use Randolf Aviator. I like the bayonet side arms because it doesn't disturb the headset seal. Bose headsets work much better with a full seal. Also they have glass lenses which have much better visual acuity. I'd go for glass lenses, neutral tint (military use AGX) and whatever frames feed your ego.

onezeroonethree
25th Feb 2010, 04:03
GG - I just got a pair of serengetis at DFO at moorabbin for $135 (its 50% off their lowest prices atm at the Bolle store, and I was told its always 40% off for pilots anyway)... so I saved about $200 off the original full price.

My original question still stands if anyone can answer it - regarding the link to the other forum thread I posted and the negative opinions regarding photochromatic lenses overseas.

bentleg
25th Feb 2010, 10:19
CASA told me that I must not have polarised sunglasses but gave me no other requirements

CASA does have a recommendation for sunnies - DAME handbook sect 2.1.13 below. Mine are prescription and to the CASA suggested ND 15 tint. Excellent.

2.1.13 Sunglasses

Glare is often a cause of significant discomfort when flying above cloud or when flying into
the sun. Sunglasses may be required in such circumstances.
There are two basic factors to consider when selecting sunglasses, namely the frame and
the lenses.
Any spectacle frame reduces the field of vision. Narrow frames that carry large lenses are
desirable. The most critical problem with frames arises from the presence of wide sidearms
which significantly impair the peripheral visual field.
Sunglass lenses should protect the eyes from glare while not adversely affecting the visual
cues necessary for safe flight. Accordingly, lenses should not be too dark, and should
transmit at least 15% of incident light. The tint used should be "neutral density" (N.D.),
that is, a greyish tint that does not distort colour perception or adversely affect red signal
detection and recognition. The recommended tint is N.D.15.
Lenses of polycarbonate are preferred because of their impact-resistance and ability to
absorb ultra-violet and infrared rays. However, these lenses can scratch readily and any
scratched spectacles should be discarded.
To ensure that sunglasses provide adequate protection from solar radiation that may
damage the eyes, only those sunglasses that conform to the current Australian Standard
should be worn.
Sunglasses that conform to the current Australian Standard also meet acceptable
standards for lens quality, frame strength and lens retention.
For aviation use, those sunglasses marked "Specific Purpose Sunglasses" are
recommended, provided their frames are appropriate. The lenses of these sunglasses
have been specifically designed for use in conditions of intense glare, such as in flight
above cloud. At high altitude, atmospheric absorption of ultra-violet radiation is reduced.
Polarising sunglasses should not be used when flying. The polarising filter interacts with
the cockpit transparency to produce a distorted and degraded visual field that poses a
threat to air safety.
The pilot who already wears prescription spectacles for flying can choose from a number
of options for glare protection. Prescription sunglasses with N.D.15 lenses can be
obtained, or N.D.15 clip-on or flip-up sunglasses may be worn over prescription
spectacles.
Pilots who require correction of their near vision only and who wear "look-overs" are
advised to obtain bifocals and a plano upper segment. Clip-on or flip-up sunglasses can
then be worn. However, the dangers of flip-ups previously mentioned should be recalled.

2.1-14
Graduated lens tint is another option. This provides glare protection for distant vision
outside the aircraft, while near vision inside the aircraft is not impeded by the tint. It is
usually considered that the use of a single tinted segment in bifocal glasses should be
avoided as the visual effect of a "false horizon" may be disturbing and dangerous.

onezeroonethree
25th Feb 2010, 12:10
The tint used should be "neutral density" (N.D.),
that is, a greyish tint that does not distort colour perception or adversely affect red signal
detection and recognition.

I got the Serengeti Navigators and from memory nothing on the labels said anything about the neutral density or the colour perception...

the lenses are light brown and to my surprise colours do change when putting them on... after reading that I am wondering if they're suitable? Any opinions of other guys here who have the brownish glass lenses?

Diversion90
25th Feb 2010, 13:59
Ive got the Serengeti Velocity ones with the brown photochromatic lenses and haven't found the adjustment of colour to be any problem (whilst completing my CPL training).

Also I have to say after using RayBan for a year previous to swapping to Serengeti (about 7 months ago) which I thought were great at the time, I have not looked back after swapping great pair of glasses and I find that the brown lenses are better as they don't block out as much light and the lenses also give a sharper image than the Ray Bans I previously used.

JulieFlyGal
26th Feb 2010, 22:38
I just got a pair of serengetis at DFO at moorabbin for $135 (its 50% off their lowest prices atm at the Bolle store, and I was told its always 40% off for pilots anyway)... so I saved about $200 off the original full price.

$135 is more like the price range I can afford. May I ask what model of Serengetis did you get? And do they require proof that you're a pilot, like showing your license? (I don't go around wearing gold bars on my shoulders :) ).

And should I get polarised lenses or non-polarised lenses?

onezeroonethree
26th Feb 2010, 22:41
$135 is more like the price range I can afford. May I ask what model of Serengetis did you get? And do they require proof that you're a pilot, like showing your license? (I don't go around wearing gold bars on my shoulders ).

And should I get polarised lenses or non-polarised lenses?

I was in uniform right after I finished flying so they knew. Otherwise some form of proof that you're in the industry and they'll give you the 40% discount... however right now the Bolle store at YMMB DFO is 50% off for everybody... so it wont matter.

I got the Navigators (photochromatic). From what I've read - polarized lenses aren't suitable for flying.

If you're a fan of the snow - stock up on the snow goggles too while you're there, nice and cheap for 50% off as well:}

Super Cecil
26th Feb 2010, 23:10
nice and cheap for 50% off as well
So they have only a 200% mark up instead of 400%?:}

backwardbrick
27th Feb 2010, 03:45
$15 from bp and get 3 cents of yer fuel

slackie
27th Feb 2010, 05:01
Gotta be Raybans...aviators are a bit "TOPGUN", particularly the mirror ones...but if they make you look as hot as this...
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:G5_FDmRiza52XM:http://imagecache.asos.com/inv/R/11/67/475775/Silver/image1xl.jpg
...then I'm all for them!!!:ok::}

Toruk Macto
27th Feb 2010, 05:11
United issue Serengetis to their aircrew. I wear Velocity but many in my company go for the bigger lense to block out glear, wich is any of the aviator range. Probable about 20 different nationalities here and the majority wear them. Can not do polaroid as the gold in the window for heating stops you from seeing out. Only my opinion and observations. No apology for spelling, I'm a pilot.

LeadSled
27th Feb 2010, 06:12
Folks,

Any pilot who uses cheap sunglasses is not smart enough to be a pilot -- you need to do everything you can to protect your eyes.

Do NOT use "glass" sunglasses, they all splinter under impact, some worse then others, but CR-8 never will.

CR-8 or similar polycarbonate ONLY, and they will be more scratch resistant than optical glass.

Likewise, only ever use polycarbonate "safety" glasses (including playing squash), never "glass". Never use the "glassless" glasses often promoted by Squash "experts", when playing squash, you can still lose an eye all too easily, as a mate of mine found out the hard way, terminating your aviation career is a huge price for a moment's neglect --- but you can lose an eye in that moment.

"Sun" glasses made for ground level use (including ASA Kite marked) will not necessarily have the correct tint for flying, either density or colour.

Undoubtedly the best are right here in Australia, Martin X Hogan, 14 Collins St., Melbourne. They have been leaders in the business of "professional" aviation, military and civil (as opposed to "fashion"), including supplying their products to NASA for the Apollo program, specialist visors (with correction, to the USAF and US Navy) and so on.

They have cockpit dimensions for all common civil types, and can make tailored glasses of all tints, including bi and tri focals, including being able to see the overhead panel, either right or left hand seat. They are aviation experts, and way ahead of designs that haven't really changed since WW11.

As users of RayBan and Randolph (they are glass, dummy) will know, lens can relatively easily fall out --- the design of the flying range from Hogan eliminate this problem ---- scrabbling around the cockpit floor looking for a lens is no fun, and doesn't do the lens much good, either.

I have trialled Serengeti, a whole bunch of us did did, for the manufacturer, a "new model" "optimized" for flying, they were good, but I went back to my Apollos, even though I use the Serengeti sometimes for driving.

If you intend to stay a pilot, your eyes are too precious to treat with other than the greatest care and respect.

Tootle pip!!

onezeroonethree
27th Feb 2010, 06:21
^^ to the few posts above... I've been using $20 plastic sunnies that apparently meet UV-A/B standards for the last few years but I aint too sure... my eyes still feel funny after flying for a while on sunny days - so it's either that or the air-vent blowing into my face dying my eyes off :ugh:

Either way, all the previous posts swear by their serengeti's and for that price I couldnt refuse... so far it's early days and I'm impressed mostly with the clarity. (yes they are glass, Leadsled).

In the end you can take peoples advice on what glasses suit them and try applying it to yourself - but only you can decide in the long run whether forking out a bit of money for eye wear is worth it or not. Maybe I'll "swear by the S" when it comes to my 3rd pair of sunnies... or maybe I'll go back to a $20 pair...

LeadSled
27th Feb 2010, 06:48
If you want to play chicken with your eyesight, and you really are a pilot, all that does is say something about your basic intelligence.

Pilot or not, it's a pity that you have never attended a lecture on eyesight safety by the likes of the late Dr. John Colvin or his successors, whose slides of the eyes of pilots who had lost an eye (and a career) in entirely avoidable circumstances are really gruesome.

I can guarantee you haven't, otherwise you wouldn't take such a flippant attitude to your eyesight. The nasty thing about cumulative damage is that it can be years before you realize the extent of the damage, and CASA medicals, including CASA opthalmic checks, will not necessarily uncover it.

In the days before the beancounters took over, QF even used to fly Dr.Colvin to Sydney to address new pilots on eyesight preservation.

The human eye has evolved at ground level, with the sun shining down, it is not well adapted to above ground level use. And it's far more than just "UV", even a perspex windscreen and windows will attenuate a large % of UVa and UVb, that is but a small part of the problem.

But Hey!!, you go right ahead, stupid isn't illegal, but is sure is dumb, but at least it is only your eyes.

Tootle pip!!

PS: The Serengeti we trialled were polycarbonate, otherwise we would not have participated, I have no idea whether they ever made it to market.

NOSIGN
27th Feb 2010, 07:22
Leadsled,

thanks for the info on Martin X Hogan.

I have never been comfortable using plastic lenses; I feel that my vision becomes slightly distorted.

I am on to my second pair of Serengetti velocity, with a Ray Ban photochromatic in-between, and the Velocity are the best that I have worn.

They are clear and work well with change of lighting, especially low light.

j3pipercub
27th Feb 2010, 07:30
Ray Bans, Gold Rim, Green Glass, Legen...........:}

p.s. sky supply are the cheapest supplier in oz I can find for these.

LeadSled
27th Feb 2010, 10:30
Nosign

I have never been comfortable using plastic lenses;

Contrary to the CASA comment about polycarbonate lenses and scratching, the surface hardening of polycarbonate lens makes them more scratch resistant than the optical glass used in RayBan and similar. This is not true of the many crap "plastic" lens around.

The greater proportion of all glasses sold are now CR-8 or similar, "glass" glasses are becoming a smaller and smaller part of sales.

Whatever your choice, look very carefully at the way lens are retained, are they positively retained, or just sitting in grooves in the frame?

To see an eyeball that has been bisected by the edge of a displaced lens, after a relatively minor frontal impact (victim remained conscious, no concussion, only major injury loss of one eye) was not a pretty sight ---- quite apart from immediate loss of career.

Most commercial sunglasses transmit far too much light for flying, because the standard is based on some megatrendoid being able to see when driving in a road tunnel, the ASNZ standard assume sunglasses remaining on face, so not mussing up his/her/its coiffure by removing said sunnies.

The CASA 15% recommendation is about the maximum, as well as the minimum.

Tootle pip!!

onezeroonethree
28th Feb 2010, 08:40
If you want to play chicken with your eyesight, and you really are a pilot, all that does is say something about your basic intelligence.

But Hey!!, you go right ahead, stupid isn't illegal, but is sure is dumb, but at least it is only your eyes.

Eh? :ugh:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of pilots out there either wear glasses similar to mine that I wear now - or a cheap $20 pair that I used to wear from a servo... fair points you raised and I understand your points and believe me I don't want to take risks on my eyes but just because I have not attended these seminars you speak of or wear these exact sunnies you preach of which have been designed and tested by NASA specifically for flying doesn't make me "stupid" :ok:

Toruk Macto
28th Feb 2010, 08:53
have a look at www.opticsplanet.net/serengeti-sunglasses.html (http://www.opticsplanet.net/serengeti-sunglasses.html) , may help with the prices .

Captain Stoobing
1st Mar 2010, 02:51
A factor to consider in sunglasses purchase is the type of headset you wear. Glasses with thick side arms can be a problem if wearing a David Clark style of headset. The weight on the bridge of your nose also changes when wearing a headset so needs to be considered if you are buying glasses specifically for flying.

Just my thoughts.:ok:

LeadSled
1st Mar 2010, 22:46
been designed and tested by NASA

Not what I said, NASA had nothing to do with designing a piece of Australian innovation. But they became a customer, as did the USAF and US Navy.

You don't need to go to a seminar to understand the importance of protecting your eyes, particularly if you are in a profession that needs two.

It's clear, from some of these posts, that a few pilots have a very cavalier attitude to eyesight self preservation, I hope they don't carry this through to their operations in general --- but my observations suggest all too many do.

Tootle pip!!

ga_trojan
1st Mar 2010, 23:12
Had a pair of Ray Banns for 2 years and never had any or heard of problems with the lens falling out. The brown lenses seems to work fine. They are not aviators.

After reading Leadslead's post there I think he should declare if he's on the take or has any interest in Martin X Hogan, his post sounded a little too much like an advert. My optometrist says that any of the major brands are fine for flying. Differentiation between sunglasses these days really is more of a fashion statement than a technical one.

geeup
2nd Mar 2010, 00:28
MAUI JIMS are the business

Checkboard
2nd Mar 2010, 09:10
Any pilot who uses cheap sunglasses is not smart enough to be a pilot ...
and you really are a pilot, all that does is say something about your basic intelligence. ...
It's clear, from some of these posts, that a few pilots have a very cavalier attitude to eyesight self preservation, I hope they don't carry this through to their operations in general --- but my observations suggest all too many do.
You all listen to LeadSled! You can always tell the good pilots from the dangerous, "too stupid to breath and talk" ones by what they are wearing on their face. I have watched Top Gun several times - and all of the best pilots were wearing good sunglasses! Nature never meant us to fly - so when in the sky sunglasses should be mandatory!

:rolleyes:

ga_trojan
2nd Mar 2010, 22:02
MAUI JIMS are the business

They are but I think all their lenses are polarised which doesn't make them suitable for flying unfortunately

LeadSled
3rd Mar 2010, 07:06
After reading Leadslead's post there I think he should declare if he's on the take or has any interest in Martin X Hogan, his post sounded a little too much like an advert.

Typical of so many posts on pprune, play the man, not the ball. I have been no more than a long term retail customer of said firm, full stop. Sadly, that type of rubbish above is all too expected.

My optometrist says that any of the major brands are fine for flying.

Perhaps, GA Trojan, you might like to inform us of the particular specialist training your bloke has, in matters of aviation and eyesight.

I will bet it is none, and, indeed, there are quite important differences between the usual requirements for ground level versus flying. This even before we get to corrected lenses, where standard focal length guidelines used by optometrists are quite inappropriate for a pilot.

As I said in a previous post, the human head is optimised to see at ground level, not high up.

But, looking at so many of these posts, it seems like ignorance is bliss --- until you have eyes damaged or lost --- in entirely avoidable circumstances.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Tootle pip!!

PPRuNeUser0161
19th Apr 2010, 00:30
OK time for a new set. Looking at the Serengeti Dante 7314, Serengeti Velocity GG6692 and the Randolph Jag with the new AGX Flash Mirror lens. Anyone had trouble with any of these models and headsets etc?

All have grey/ slight green non polarized lenses. I have had velocity's before, lasted 5-6 years, excellent frames. My current set is the Serengeto Pilot 1 with the drivers gradient lens, not overly happy with the cable temples as they keep breaking off where the cable attatches and parts are no longer available.
SN

PPRuNeUser0161
27th Apr 2010, 06:00
Been trying some on here and there as I see them. Learned something about each brand along the way. Not all Seri's, Ray Ban's and Randolps are glass, they all make some PC.

My pick so far is the Serengeti Velocity GG6692, titanium frame with the grey/green glass lens. I have not yet seen a PC lens that comes close to the clarity of the glass. I have not yet been able to get hold of the Randolphs but I would like to try the Jag's.
SN

Bluebottle
27th Apr 2010, 07:50
The best sunnies by far are the ones your predecessor left on the flt deck in his/her haste to go home...the price is unbeatable, however the quality does tend to be a bit inconsistent.
After a few weeks you may feel ravaged by guilt and return them to their rightful owner (the onset of guilt usually coincides with the discovery of a superior pair under similar circumstances)..i.e. "maaaate..saw some sunnies poking out from under the rudder pedals in ABC...looked a bit like the pair you said you lost the other month".:E

PPRuNeUser0161
4th Aug 2010, 12:39
Anyone tried the Serengeti Dante under a headset? I can't try them on because I'm remote and no seri shop in my town. I like the look of the Dante 7314 with the 555nm lens.
SN

Biggles78
4th Aug 2010, 15:29
Bought a pair of Zeiss sunnies when I first started flying in 78 and they were expensive. Wore them flying and driving but they retired 4 years ago when one of the hinges died. Took some getting used to since they were made of actual glass and were heavy on the bridge of the nose, not like the light plastic items of today. If I can find a frame to fit them, they shall live again. Dropped several times during their life and they have ZERO scratches or chips.

Now forced to wear RayBans that are nice and light but the :mad:ing screws keep coming loose. :(

tinpis
4th Aug 2010, 22:20
The ultimate "Mudguard Kit"

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/ialcr_fullxfull.21103.jpg

Oldtimers will know what that is... arr...arr..

swaziboy
6th Aug 2010, 09:03
Used to have a pair of Raybans which i thought were the sh&t until I woke up one morning to find they were broken... big night... just got my pair of Serengeti Saltos last week and will never touch Rayban again!! Amazing sunnies even with David Clarks and in a bongo!!

aussie027
9th Aug 2010, 05:42
RANDOLPH AVIATOR........or another model in their aviation range. Specs and details here--

Randolph Sunglasses (http://www.randolphsunglasses.com.au/)

or Randolph Engineering :: Sunglasses and Shooting Eyewear (http://www.randolphusa.com/)

I didnt check prices but may be cheaper to buy direct from USA.

Over 7million pairs issued since 1977 as it says. Milspec design. Standard issue for NASA and USAF, USN for decades.:ok:

I can vouch for how tough and scratch resistant these are.
Once they were flung off my face hard onto steel decking on a dumb show ride that was a lot more violent than it looked. They were only a few mo old and I would have sworn they would be in pieces, I was stunned to see not so much as a scratch on them, let alone being in pieces.
Highly recommended.:ok::ok:

PPRuNeUser0161
10th Aug 2010, 05:06
I am looking at the Aviator and the Jag. I can't seem to find a stockist in Adelaide.

Edit: Bit concerned that they let too much light in at the sides as well.
SN

flyboy_nz
10th Aug 2010, 08:25
Serengeti Velocity with Drivers lens. $160 from ebay.com shipped to Auz. Fantastic pair of sunnies.

redsnail
10th Aug 2010, 11:15
1013, the reason why you may be having problems with the cheapo servo sunnies is not because of their filters but they may not be as optically true as the better brands.

I wear Oakley's with prescription lenses. Light weight, comfy, look good and arms don't conflict with the headset. My only criticism is that they are a bit too dark to see the screens easily.

mintpro172
10th Aug 2010, 20:19
I've had Ray Ban's (3394) for the last few months and haven't a single bad word to say about them. They fit comfortably under the headset with no pressure points. Would definitely recommend them. The ones I have also aren't too dark so when the sun does go behind a cloud you don't need to take them off! which I found with my previous pair (not Ray Ban's). Happy shopping. :ok:

flyinkiwi
10th Aug 2010, 21:14
Another vote for Serengeti Velocity. Was recommended them by a sales assistant at a sunglass store when I was pre solo and I'm still using that pair. I love the optical clarity (it feels like my eyes literally relax when I put them on), the automatic adjustment for changing light levels, the fact that the flat arms are snug against the side of your head so you do not get any sound leakage from your headset. I use them for both flying and driving so they kill two birds with one stone! :ok:

They are more expensive but worth the investment.

The only gotcha which I am sure has been said here is that the rims are fairly fragile and you must take extra care when you are not wearing them to put them back in their hard case.

PPRuNeUser0161
13th Aug 2010, 13:07
OK bought the Serengeti Dante 7314 with the non polarised 555nm lens. The twin wire temples fit close and don't interfere with your headset fit. Got them on ebay for less than half what they cost in the shop.
SN

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2010, 07:51
Well I have been sitting on the fence for a while with this topic, but I have found these to be excellent. I see they sell for USD$249, I paid $200, and scored a run out model for free for Mrs Jaba. Only one type and model was on offer as a special at Oshkosh.

They are something to behold indeed, view is awesome, no distortion (golfers love them for putting) and the frames are almost not there.

You need to read all the blurb to understand why I am so impressed.

VedaloHD - (http://www.vedalohd.com/product.aspx?id=108)

J:ok: