PDA

View Full Version : Jetconnect Interview

GUARD
11th Jan 2007, 22:50
Hi Guys and Gals,

I've recently been offered a J/C interview and have to seriously think about the whole deal ( which is always so different to how you play it out in your mind when you send the application ).

I have done a pprune search but a lot of the stuff is a little dated and I would value some current input.

Could someone in the know please answer the following few questions PLEASE.

Do you still fork out for the 737 rating and can it be done on a subsidised basis with Q in ML?

Do you get any staff travel/priority if the answer is yes?

Are F/O's earning around $60,000. Is that in NZD or AUS. Can one afford to live in AKL on that money. Does anyone commute from AUS?

What happens on interview day?

I would really appreciate someone taking the time to respond.

GUARD:ok:

ABX
11th Jan 2007, 23:45
Hi. The only part I can answer for you is that $60K is very livable in Oz & Enzed.

Should afford you a decent life mate.

Cheers and good luck with the interview.:ok:

Hugh Jarse
12th Jan 2007, 01:20
GUARD!
Check PM's, Lad.:E

Captain Condom
12th Jan 2007, 07:22
Any chance of a reply on Pprune to everyone Hugh? Would save me posting the same request for info.

Ta

digB
12th Jan 2007, 08:14
As per above, any further current info would be great.
What are the employment conditions/pay?
Roster paterns/days off/overnights?
How much leave per year?
Also does anyone have any info on the interview? Technical/Behavioural type?
Many thanks in advance for those who can provide some accurate information!;)
Cheers,
digB

OhForSure
12th Jan 2007, 08:21
Hugh... I concur. Info would likely be greatly appreciated by others. If you rather not post it, a PM would be tops!:ok:

Cheers guys.

27/09
12th Jan 2007, 22:02
Not quite the info you were looking for, BUT reported in NZ Herald a week or so back was the fact that Qantas were pulling out of CH-WN.

Same article quoted aviation analysts (who ever they may be) as saying that they expected Qantas to reduce activity in New Zealand even further, if I remember correctly they even speculated a complete withdrawal by Qantas from the NZ market.

You may want to check on the veracity of the Herald article.

DutyofCare
13th Jan 2007, 02:48
Well done GUARD, on the basis of your Q's looks as if your've done alot of research on the company hey? Your really, really lucky to have JAGGED an interview with J/C and NOW your doing something serious about the pending interview? I hope you get your result you deserve...

Jetconnect CP
13th Jan 2007, 02:56
Guard and others, if you have any questions on working with Jetconnect please do not hesitate to call me. My number ++64 9 256 7691.

haughtney1
13th Jan 2007, 10:28
Nice one Mr CP.....:ok: Just goes to show the power of Prune

Goodluck to all involved striving for that first Jet job:ok:

The offer would be even better if JC bonded, rather than asked for cash up front for the conversion course.:)

GUARD
14th Jan 2007, 02:36
Thank you for your considered opinion DUTY OF CARE.

What are you so angry about? Have we met? I just asked a few simple questions from people who probably know a little more than the vitriol you've got to offer.

Good luck in your own future endeavours matey!!!!

GUARD:D

Dashim
16th Jan 2007, 02:46
:confused: The information is NEARLY correct.
The terms and conditions listed above were at the last contract round but since then the salary has gone up 3%. A ZQN and ROT qualified captain is on 120,000 + the $15000 retention bonus.
Jetconnect currently operate only 7 aircraft with an 8th likely later this year.
I'm sure Jetconnect CP will fill in the details for you. Geoff... why are we employing Aussies when you know there are NZer's to fill the positions and your attrition rate would half?:mad:

Todd River Skier
16th Jan 2007, 04:47
Jetconnect website wuld b a gud place 2 start a search

AerocatS2A
16th Jan 2007, 07:29
Jetconnect website was broken for me.

Went to "register interest"

It asked me to join the database

I clicked "join"

It told me I had to select a career (pilot, cabin crew etc)

I selected pilot

I was then sent back to the same page I started on.

Perhaps they don't really want to employ anyone?

Hugh Jarse
16th Jan 2007, 07:46
Sorry for the slow reply.

The info I gave GUARD was really of no use to anyone. I was only referring him to a mutual contact.

I have no knowledge of Jetconnect, sorry folks.

Contract Con
17th Jan 2007, 04:32
Dashim,

Are they the same NZer's (the ones which will halve the attrition rate) that have been heading up to Tokyo for job interviews?

Cheers,
Con:ok:

haughtney1
17th Jan 2007, 14:00
Con, they are probably going to Jap land because the contracts that are offering for 73 drivers (typed and non) dont ask for cash to pay for a rating:ok:

A company can't (and generally won't) expect any loyalty from staff who have no financial interest in staying:ok: How many VB/PB boys have left in the last 12 months? for sandier climes.......etc

Its not just Japan now that are offering contracts for entry-level jet jobs, look at EVA, and about half a dozen airlines in China...although you need to have the constitution of Trevor Hendy to pass the medical:ooh:

All the best to those guys getting out there and getting ahead!:D

Contract Con
17th Jan 2007, 17:32
Haughtney1,

I couldn't agree more.

My comment to Dashim was a personal jibe, all in good fun.

I am of the same motivation. T&C's in Australasia won't keep any other than those who "need" to stay.

Cheers,

Con:ok:

Todd River Skier
17th Jan 2007, 21:21
Hey contract dont u hate it when the wrong fish grabs the bait

Dashim
18th Jan 2007, 03:58
You're Right Con

The very one's!

Lol.....

OhForSure
18th Jan 2007, 12:05
Anyone have any info on overnights, daily sector numbers, rosters or morale? Not many websites will divulge that sort of information... :ugh:

Cheers.

ezypezy
21st Jan 2007, 19:44
Do they still want you to pay for a type rating?

I'd be interested in joining as a DEC if they take 737 rated pilots.

Anyone?

ezypezy
22nd Jan 2007, 19:11
Anyone?

6500hrs TT
3000hrs B737 classic/NG PIC

Just wondering if they accept applications from DEC's? or do you have to join as an F/O?

Im a Kiwi looking to head back to NZ:ok:

From a distance
23rd Jan 2007, 09:33
Jetconnect has not hired any DECs for over 4 years which was not long after its inception. With the recent market conditions they have been able to recruit many high time pilots including with previous jet experience in to the right hand seat. Lots of other guys with lots of turbo-prop time who have gradually gained enough experience with Jetconnect to get an upgrade.
There has been a lot of turn over due to the unclear long term prospects of Jetconnect and the fact that theres better career prospects elsewhere so time to command is good.

ezypezy
23rd Jan 2007, 14:53
Thanks guys for all your messages:ok:

scramjet
25th Jan 2007, 13:40
Seem like a nice bunch of people! CP come and had a chat to me while I was waiting for the Interview- seems nice. Interviewers were two check captains, they seemed nice as well. (All ex Ansett)

Standard interview
Tell us why you are here? Why Jetconnect?
Career to date?
Behavioural questions on communication, leadership, compromise, taking on additional roles?
Living in New Zealand etc?
4 tech questions were standard IR renewal questions.

Stated that they werent allowing for commuters, no special rosters for commuters etc.
base pay approx $65 + 9k retention bonus overtime from 65 hours I think (hmm could be 75 hrs) $4/ duty HR DTA,

Work hard- some pilots are doing 900 hours a year.

Approx $15k for endorsement subsidised by them. Command endorsement.

Not sure how many pilots they needed yet.

looking for a March start-endorsement date.

:)

From a distance
8th Feb 2007, 10:56
Anybody considering Jetconnect take note of statement from Alan Joyce quoted in the Australian.

"Our Christchurch operations are really going very, very well and domestic New Zealand and extra flying across the Tasman fall into a category we would want to look at as well."

The Qantas group will take your money for a B737 type rating and as they proved with the introduction of the A320 across the Tasman you will not automatically move across to Jetstar just because they take your flying and your money for the B737 type rating. If they do grant you an interview you will have to jump through all their hoops and for the minority that may be successfull you will have to pay for an A320 type rating.

ezypezy
8th Feb 2007, 20:21
If they do grant you an interview you will have to jump through all their hoops and for the minority that may be successfull you will have to pay for an A320 type rating.

Well I guess thats gonna be a saving, I'm current on the 319 :E

virgindriver
8th Feb 2007, 20:52
Which one would you choose?

Friend of mine is trying to decide between Nat Jet 717 or Jet Con 737 with an NZ base. Offered both- I said go the 737 but now I'm not sure.

Either way, has to pay for endorsement.

Any thoughts?? :confused:

ezypezy
8th Feb 2007, 21:24
Tell them to stick it, and head off to the sandpit, failing that, I'd take the 737 purely on the basis that it is a far more marketable qualification, and a days differences course for the NG:ok:

WLGHilton
10th Feb 2007, 05:56
Someone asked something about morale at JC. Its bad, very bad at this time. The pilot turnover is rediculously high, with those remaining being stretched way too thin. They even had a recent F/O bail before he even finished his ground course and three senior checkies have walked in as many months as well.. There will be a lot more heading out the door soon too. Cheap rating though.

cunninglinguist
10th Feb 2007, 22:50
Bluddy tricky one virgin driver..........

717 - full glass cockpit, great a/c
no security, contractor, no QF staff benefits, pay 7k for endorsement and be bonded for 3yrs for 30k, 20% lower pay than the other guys you flying with, extremely crap management.

737 - analogue cockpit but good endorsement, overall less commitment to company if you want to do a runner, no security, better pay, some QF benefits?? ( not sure ), have to move to unzud.

If it was me, simple, if I lived on the west coast ( and wanted to stay there ) NJS, if I lived east it would be Jitconnict.

Sqwark2000
12th Feb 2007, 04:32
Heard from JC tech crew today that the reason WLG-CHC was pulled was because the aircraft was required in AKL to fly trans-tasman duties. That about Marc/Apr 07, JC will be doing up to 80% of Qantas's trans-tasman flying and that at least 1, possibly 2 B734's are to be added to fleet to meet schedule.

Doesn't explain any morale problems but if the above is accurate then job security seems more assured.

S2K

mention1
12th Feb 2007, 04:49
$65,000 for a FO?? Is that NZD? And don't forget there's no super payments in NZ. Doesn't sound appealing. How long to a Command???

Cloud Cutter
12th Feb 2007, 19:09
mention1

I know, it does seem a bit low. I beleive it goes up after 500 hrs on type? As a comparison, the contract Pac Blue F/Os get 73K increasing to 81 after 500 hrs, and same DTA. I guess the 20K odd difference in type rating, and 9K retention bonus even the score a bit. From what I hear, you could expect to earn quite a bit more on overtime as well.

As for time to command, unless you have prior experience, I think about 4 years min.

hadenuff
25th Feb 2007, 01:39
Jetconnect CP are you still able/willing to field calls with enquiries about working for JC? I have just received an email offering an interview and have a few q's.

Thanks heaps.

Hadenuff.

Shredder6
26th Feb 2007, 01:20
Have all those that interviewed successfully this time last year with JC started with them yet?

Sqwark2000
26th Feb 2007, 03:50
Shredder,

No, 1 more off the rank to go, but if previous posts about Mar start dates are accurate then he'll be looking forward to a call soon.

S2K

Centaurus
26th Feb 2007, 10:22
Tell them to stick it, and head off to the sandpit, failing that, I'd take the 737 purely on the basis that it is a far more marketable qualification
Re the above advice on type selection, the following advice from a pilot currently flying in SE Asia on the subject of the most handy type rating for those intending to choose between Boeing and Airbus:

"My advice is forget the 737 rating and go straight to A320. I know for a fact that Tiger and Jet Star Asia in Singapore are looking - as well as Silk Air...Air Asia will take you if A320 but expect terrible money...In Asia the A320 goes further than a B737. Air Asia has ordered 100 and Jetstar, Silk and Tiger in Singapore all fly them....plus China and India have orders in...and the rating is better when it comes to A330, 340 and 380 whereas the Boeing is only good for the aircraft."

ezypezy
26th Feb 2007, 15:17
My advice is forget the 737 rating and go straight to A320. I know for a fact that Tiger and Jet Star Asia in Singapore are looking - as well as Silk Air...Air Asia will take you if A320 but expect terrible money...In Asia the A320 goes further than a B737. Air Asia has ordered 100 and Jetstar, Silk and Tiger in Singapore all fly them....plus China and India have orders in...and the rating is better when it comes to A330, 340 and 380 whereas the Boeing is only good for the aircraft."

Centaurus....the question related to a choice between a 717 and 737, an A320 job was never mentioned.

virgindriver
28th Feb 2007, 10:36
For what it is worth, he went JitConnict in the end due to the 737 endorsement being more useful than DC9.

Thanks for the replies.

hot tuna
28th Feb 2007, 20:03
VD, 737 is very marketable, that's why so many JC guy's are leaving. Heard a few more off to Airworks B733 ops in BNE.:ok:

OhForSure
28th Feb 2007, 22:27
Is it true ALL 733s will be converted into freighters for AaE, with the JC fleet to eventually consist only of 734s? What effect does the likelihood of Jetstar NZ have on this? Surely that could be a very strong business model over there?

From a distance
1st Mar 2007, 15:08
For anyone still in doubt about the long term prospects of Jetconnect I refer you to the words of Alan Joyce quoted in the Australian.
"Our Christchurch operations are really going very, very well and domestic New Zealand and extra flying across the Tasman fall into a category we would want to look at as well."
The reason many guys are leaving is that they dont want to be part of the impending train wreck.

horserun
4th Apr 2007, 00:54
What sort of hours gets you an interview at JC??
I know the website says 2000 + 1000 turbine, but what sort of hours gets your foot in the door??
Cheers

Also hows work going?? any new rumours??

assymetric
4th Apr 2007, 02:43
Horserun,

It was a while ago but I got a interview with about 4000Hr but no turbine. Hope this helps.

Assy

scramjet
5th Apr 2007, 00:09
hmm about 4750hrs, 1600 turbine, and 1400 twin command

horserun
5th Apr 2007, 00:20
Cheers guys!
I think Im probably pissing into the wind with my 2000hrs 1000 turbine.
stuck an application in all the same.

astinapilot
5th Apr 2007, 01:21
Does anyone know the staff travel policy for JC. What about commuting policy?

Thanks

hot tuna
5th Apr 2007, 02:09
I'd stay in OZ , plenty of Jobs, or is it the cheap 737 rating, get 500 hrs then back to OZ...sounds like a good plan and one thats been well trodden....staff trvl on QF only.

horserun
5th Apr 2007, 07:51
I wish that was the case. But I'm a kiwi, and jet jobs are not that plentiful here.

AerocatS2A
5th Apr 2007, 11:33
Kiwis can fly in Aus with not much trouble.

haughtney1
5th Apr 2007, 12:19
Got offered an interview about 12 months ago with 2900 hrs and 950 jet:ok:

Turned it down when they asked for cash up front for the rating.

aerostatic
6th Apr 2007, 00:38
Does anyone know the staff travel policy for JC. What about commuting policy?

Full QF staff travel but no interlining. No allowance made for commuters. Not realistic to commute from Oz.

hadenuff
6th Apr 2007, 05:33
2200hrs Total, 1900 Turbine, 700 jet.

Shagtastic
23rd Jun 2007, 08:20
Redflags

Apart from from your 'Jump Seating' qualifications are you in a position to criticize a crew like this? Particularly a crew(s) who have kindly let you jump seat after you've begged to be sitting in the front with them..:=

No crew is 100% perfect but as a jump seater you don't have the right to slag them off. Did you have the balls to critcize them to their face? Somehow I doubt it.

Chill.
Shags
PS. Redflag... I've read some of you other posts and you really need to get out a bit more.

PSS. I see Redflags has deleted his offensive post preceeding this one.

WLGHilton
27th Jun 2007, 03:00
The last of the old twitching AN corpse has still got a hold on this operation, therefore mismanagement reigns. There are plenty of other jobs out there.

cjam
8th Aug 2007, 04:23
Can anyone answer these questions?

1 How many overnights per month on average?
2 Are they still short of crew and likely to recruit this year?
3 What is the most likely basing, AA or WN ?

Thanks in advance.

komac2
8th Aug 2007, 05:32
RE: question 2: I would say so mate they have been continuously running ads in the NZ herald on mondays and wed for the last fews weeks. Cheers.

komac2
8th Aug 2007, 05:46
looks like all bases AKL, WN, CHC ad' s are also running on seek.co.nz under search jetconnect, cheers again.

SkySurfin
8th Aug 2007, 05:54
1 How many overnights per month on average?
Answer- If you are Wellington based the answer is basically zero, except when you have a sim check. If you are Auckland or Christchurch based then maybe 1 or 2 a month, but its more likely to be zero.

2 Are they still short of crew and likely to recruit this year?
Answer- At the moment yes they are short. Although there has been a fair bit of hiring this year and 6 new recruits are currently training. By the end of the year Id imagine crewing levels will be fairly close to normal again. They are also trying to stock up on crew so they can get one of their own ZK regs 737-400s back, mainline is currently operating it from Auckland on the tazzy.

3 What is the most likely basing, AA or WN ?
Answer- Because of the movement you would most likely get the base you prefer. Auckland and Christchurch need first officers at the present moment.

As for the ads in the paper, well the same thing is happening in OZ. I think the main reason is to gather interest from pilots abroad with a rating or possibly even some with experience on type.

Good job, worth a shot.;)

horserun
8th Aug 2007, 07:03
Hey Skysurfin!
What kind of hours do the new recruits have?

SkySurfin
8th Aug 2007, 08:00
A lot of the new recruits are coming from turboprop jobs such as Air Nelson, Eagle and other similar Oz operators. Seems to be a mix of FOs and CPTs, some with as little as 2500...... I think the mins are 2000TT and 1000multi and I believe they would look at you with the mins at the moment.

Cloud Cutter
8th Aug 2007, 21:27
There have been a few JC pilots jump across to Pac Blue recently, due to a perceived 'better future'. Although from what I hear, they may miss the overtime rates.

In any case, 737 type rating courses are almost impossible to come by in Aus at the moment because of the huge movement at Virgin Blue, Hong Kong Express, and now Qantas restarting their own recruitment. Although I'd imagine JC would be better able to arrange an in-house solution.

Either way, it's a great time to be in the pool.

horserun, I wouldn't be suprised at all if you pick something up with those numbers, good luck.

horserun
9th Aug 2007, 06:29
Cheers Cloud Clutter, even clowns like myself stand a chance at moving onto a jet at the moment!!
I put an application in, fingers crossed.

Raropilot
16th Oct 2007, 00:12
A bit too ambitious i think, but how about 1600hrs Total, 1200+ multi turbine?? should have the 2000hrs min early next year though..:}

Cloud Cutter
16th Oct 2007, 00:51
Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition. You'd definitely want to have your name in the hat with Jetconnect and Pac Blue, both are finding it hard to retain pilots, and I'd imagine they may look at lower minimums as a way of holding onto F/Os for a bit longer (although I doubt even that would work at the moment). Particularly when you hit 2000 hours you could well get a look in.

Good luck.

hot tuna
16th Oct 2007, 02:07
Are they still making you pay for a rating

Density
1st Mar 2013, 23:50
It's been some time since this thread was running but I hear they are recruiting again. Does anyone have any current info on the morale here now and the salary?

Also where and how many overnights per month and what's the time to command at the moment?

Finally is the stability/job security there?

Thanks and apologies in advance if repeating what others have already asked, but just want more current info.