PDA

View Full Version : Working in the UK on an Ancestry Visa

hewi
11th Jan 2007, 20:53
G'day all.

I currently have a UK ancestry visa but living in NZ.

Does anybody know if airlines in the UK will accept you with this visa? Basically the visa entitles the holder 5 years in the UK with the option to apply for indefinate leave to remain towards the end.

When the airlines state on their website that you must have right of abode and right to work does the ancestry visa cover this?

Am really keen to hear from anybody that can offer me some advise.

Cheers
Bruce

MBA747
11th Jan 2007, 23:46
Things have changed but then you have 5 years to find a wife. A lot of young fellows found getting married was a way to stay in the UK after the 89 dispute.

tinpis
12th Jan 2007, 00:24
Things have changed but then you have 5 years to find a wife......
And the rest of yer natural getting rid of the nasty bint :uhoh:
http://transitionculture.org/wp-content/uploads/thumb-EnaSharples.jpg

BaronvonChieftain
12th Jan 2007, 00:27
G'day Bruce,
Although you may have right of abode, most airlines in the UK would probably not accept you with just the Ancestry Visa. Most of them require a British or EU passport, the reason being that alot of the flying is short-haul international.
Consequently you need to be able to travel around the EU with a minimum of fuss, and many EU countries require a separate entry visa if you do not hold an EU passport. The French particularly are renowned for making us "foreigners" jump thru hoops to gain entry.
Anyway mate, best of luck :ok:

gas-chamber
12th Jan 2007, 03:09
The biggest hurdle would be obtaining a JAA Licence and I.R. Lots of hoops to jump through and money to spend to convert a Kiwi or Oz ticket. If you had the licence and a work visa there are always smaller outfits like Loganair in Scotland that fly within the U.K. Great experience to be had, too.

hewi
12th Jan 2007, 03:11
Thanks for the replies.

I thought that might be the case.

Inregards to the marriage idea, doesn't that give you permanent residency in the UK only? My partner of 4 years is from the UK and I we will be getting married soon enough but how do I get on with the citizenship?

redsnail
12th Jan 2007, 11:12
hewi,

My husband has an ancestry visa and is currently working for easyJet in the UK. (I'm lucky, I have a UK passport, thanks dad). There's a few guys in the UK that got jobs flying that held visas and not permanent residents.

The visa doesn't automatically let you get indefinite leave to remain after it's lapsed. You must reapply for an extension if you haven't met the residency rules. I *think* it's now 5 years resident in the UK and then you can apply to become a citizen/permanent resident and so forth. £500 for the extension. Ouch.

Most do become paper poms as it is much easier to get around Europe on a UK passport than an Australian/NZ one.

The UK immigration dept told my hubby that it is far easier to be granted citizenship/permanent residency versus the marriage route. (pun intended).
To be eligible for permanent residency you must be married for 2 years and have proof of living together for that 2 years and so on.

In a nutshell, with your visa, you can get a job in the UK. Once you've fulfilled the residency rules (ie 5 years living in the UK etc) then you can apply to become a permanent resident and get British citizenship + passport. That's the easiest place to start with, once you are a European citizen (ie UK permanent resident with a UK passport) then you can live any where in Europe.

The hardest thing is converting your non EU/JAA license to a JAA one.

I hope this helps.

Ejector
12th Jan 2007, 23:34
The Pom embassey told me it is not like the "Youth Working holiday Visa" which is a one off. It can be renewed indeffinantly. Actually it is hard to get residency at the end as I forget off the top off my head, but you had to spend something like 95% of the days in the UK in the prevous (approx) 3-4 years. And yes, the only real hick up is not have\ing a EU passport. Allthough you dont need it, some compnaies really like it, as they can easily base you where ever then etc. I found the embassey helpfull. :D

Big Dog 2
13th Jan 2007, 10:58
Hi I moved to the Uk in 1999 and my wife had a UK passport thanks to her
father.My 2 children and I had to apply for a visa which cost approx $700AUD
each for 12 months, prior to the end of 12 months you apply for indifinate
leave to enter (ILE). Which allows you to stay indefintly as long as you dont
leave longer that 2 years, When you apply for the ILE you register as a person settled with a British subject. As you are married you wait 3 years( 4 years for non married couples) and apply for Naturlistion as a British citezen. This is what I did and now I have dual nationality. Aus and UK, This is how it worked for me but that is some time ago. Some airlines Bral and British Midland Regional may let you fly on your no JAA Licence for 12 months as they can apply to CAA for this while you obtain you UK/ Now JAA licence. Things may have change since
I moved there, But this is how it worked for me.

Good luck.

haughtney1
13th Jan 2007, 11:06
An Ancestory Visa satisfys all the requirements to work and live in the UK :ok:
Until it expires that is.......mine did, I showed the home office that I had worked gainfully for 4 years, and was offered naturalisation..and I'm now a Brit:8 :sad:
Dont worry about being on an NZ passport in the EU, it is the most easily accepted and immigration friendly passport in the EU...I flew around the EU, Africa and the US on it for 2 years before I got a UK passport.....it was never an issue:ok:
The only requirement that is a little stringent, happens when you get an airside ID issued..the authorities ask you to prove your right to be in the UK with a passport and/or Visa etc...

Hope this helps:ok:

Artificial Horizon
13th Jan 2007, 11:17
In addition to all of the above. I currently fly for one of the major airlines in the UK all over Europe on my NZ passport with a visa to remain indefinately in the UK. I have been doing this now for 6 years without any problems whatsoever. I will get around to getting my UK passport when I can be ar*ed filling out the form. Only place I have found that gives me trouble with the NZ passport is Romania.

Luke SkyToddler
13th Jan 2007, 12:18
I got my first job in the UK on an ancestry visa, no questions were asked. Now got unrestricted permanent resident stamp in my NZ passport, flying airbuses all round Europe and never had any problems with my NZ passport.

I've subsequently married a pom and much like the other guys, I could get a UK passport either by right of ancestry or by right of marriage, but basically I can't be arsed - to get one of those you have to pay a big heinous fee, go sit an English language and culture test, and go to a nationalization ceremony & swear allegiance to the queen etc. It's the slippery slope thing you know, next thing you actually enjoy watching this poofters game called soccer and drinking warm flat beer :(

haughtney1
13th Jan 2007, 12:59
to get one of those you have to pay a big heinous fee, go sit an English language and culture test, and go to a nationalization ceremony & swear allegiance to the queen etc. It's the slippery slope thing you know, next thing you actually enjoy watching this poofters game called soccer and drinking warm flat beer

Managed to avoid all the fee stuff:ok:

And theres nothing wrong with a warm pint of "old anchor chain..and rusty badgers tail" :}

Hewi, if you are legal to live and work here etc...the next trick is the exams and the license conversion..and thats a whole new threads worth.

jethrolx
15th Jan 2007, 06:17
Hewi, if you are legal to live and work here etc...the next trick is the exams and the license conversion..and thats a whole new threads worth.[/quote]

At the risk of getting off topic, any info on cost/time/agro involved in converting to JAA??? Just starting ab initio at the moment with a view to trying europe should the likely event of nothig turn here in oz. (have an Irish passport which may come in handy)
Any help much appreicated :ok:

john_tullamarine
15th Jan 2007, 11:08
.. you mean I could claim my third fleet assisted (if somewhat unenthusiastic) migrant ancestors and restart a new flying career in the UK ?

pakeha-boy
15th Jan 2007, 18:59
H1....I,d never admit to being a pom....never,:ugh:

haughtney1
15th Jan 2007, 19:05
Dont have a choice PB......half of me is Pom by genetics (the old man) so I'm stuffed either way:}
Still a kiwi through and through.....Ive even got ma AB's jersey on today:ok:

pakeha-boy
15th Jan 2007, 19:10
yeah mate...I know you are.....never had any problems working in pongo-land with my kiwi passport......like you said....its no worries...just got back,wind finally died down..and the Barrier was full of snapper..PB

tinpis
15th Jan 2007, 21:47
I had a **** of a time of it working on a visa in pommyland.
Every six months or so the company had to send in a truck load of paperwork and then it was shuffled an asked for all over again
In the end I got booted out after about 2 half years
I remember sitting in an waitng room to be interviewed somewhere down near LGW
I was the only bugger amongst the hundreds there not wearing a turban I reckon
Having said that if you can get in and get a job the misery of living in poverty rock is offset by a terrific bunch of guys (and gals:E ) to work with

pakeha-boy
16th Jan 2007, 00:14
tin mate.......wuzz this before WW1 or before WW2???:}

tinpis
16th Jan 2007, 00:24
Come over and I'll show ya my medals sometime....:hmm: