PDA

View Full Version : Most efficient way of attaining UK JAA ATPL/IR on A320?

Hobagoas
11th Jan 2007, 15:12
Was wondering if someoone could be of assistance.
I hold an ICAO ATPL with various TRs incl. A320.
I have recently passed all my UK JAA ATPL subjects and am now looking to comlplete the practical requirement for the UK JAA ATPL. (Not on a light ME aircraft.) MCC-exemption in hand
Does anyone know of a good ATO in the UK where I could do my UK TR A320, Initial JAA Instrument rating and thereby complete the requirements for the ATPL?
Alteon seem quite expensive at 2500pounds per person per training session on the A320. Is that the price I can expect from all ATOs?
How do I go about organising a TR 'observer' from the UK CAA?
Has anyone had any experience converting their ICAO licence this way?
How many sessions should one plan for?
Thanks for the help.
Hobagoas

Finals19
11th Jan 2007, 17:02
Hobagoas..

I was about to ask what time you had on heavies, but seeing as you have just sat the entire ATPL writtens, I assume you do not meet the 3000hr and requisite heavy time requirement which would make the transition to JAA quite straightforward.

Doing your IR on the A320 sim embedded within the TR I think is do-able, but isn't there still a need to perform a CPL skills test too? I know that might sound crazy if you are A320 TR'd but you might want to check.

I am off to check this out right now, so if I find the answer I will get back to you.

Finals.

Hobagoas
12th Jan 2007, 06:18
Thanks. :ok: Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You are right in assuming I don't qualify for the quick route. I have 5000hrs mostly on jets and some turbo-prop but not enough PIC.
I am exempt from having to do any formal courses or training through an ATO, so just the IR test and TR to do.
Question is where's the best place A320-wise?
Hobagoas

G-SPOTs Lost
12th Jan 2007, 22:15
If you have more than 500 hours on type on an ICAO CAA/JAA will give it to without having to do a full course. Your ICAO TR has to be current and you need to do just an LPC with a JAA TRE. Pitch up at Gatwick with your ICAO TR and proof of 500 hours on type and your LPC form and you get the TR the same day.

If you are applying for a JAA ATPL then the LPC also serves as your ATPL skills test.

I have personally done this FAA Multi Crew Type to JAA TR.

Of course if you dont have the 500 hours on type then its not available to you

Hobagoas
13th Jan 2007, 05:39
Thanks G-Spots Lost.
I do indeed have more than 500hrs on A320. About 1000 now. And have a curreent ICAO LPC. Fly +-80hrs on it per month.
What I really need to find out is which simulator/ATO is the cheapest/best deal in the UK?
Or do the Gatwick TREs fly out to other countries such as Spain to do tests?
Where did you go to complete the TR/Skills test?
Was the process at the UKCAA simple thereafter: just hand in your paperwork and get the licence? Did you have to do a Radio licence exam somewhere?
Cheers
Hobagoas

Dotun
13th Jan 2007, 13:58
Hello Hobagoas,
Yes you will have to do the RT exam, visit any of the local flying clubs for this. You will also have to contact the UK CAA to observe the LST. It takes about 2 weeks for you to get the license, with a limitation on the IR (Multi Crew Only). Not sure how to get rid of this, maybe you have to do another I/R single crew or something.

Regards
DMan

fantom
13th Jan 2007, 15:40
If you are applying for a JAA ATPL then the LPC also serves as your ATPL skills test.

Not quite.
It is the same form (1119) but an LPC may not include some of the mandatory LST items (such as No-FDs ILS or RTO).

Do a Skills test.

Should have added: the CAA do not witness ALL LSTs. I happen to be doing one next week which is being witnessed but I have done plenty on my own. They decide (and they can always turn up unannounced...).

Hobagoas
14th Jan 2007, 12:30
Thanks everyone for your info.

Any recommendations on where to go?

ATOs that you know of or can recommend?

Can you use your own SOPs? Or should you do some training with the relevant ATO beforehand?

Hobagoas