PDA

View Full Version : Flight Data Recorder required in Biz Jets ?

oceanpilot
11th Jan 2007, 07:27
Based on ICAO Annex 6 (for commercial operation) all aircraft above 5700KG are required to have a Flight Data Recorder and a CVR.
There are more requirements as for the type of FDR, for newer and older aircraft in relation to first registration, etc. but regardless of this

How is the ICAO FDR requirement implemented in your country?

Nearly all Business Jets would need one and this since 2005.

Fossy
11th Jan 2007, 10:33
Owing to that ICAO is only an organization and not an authority, its not mandatory to have a FDR installed by their Annex. But I do not know one single NAA, which isn't following it. Therefore it's a requirement of the NAA where the aircraft is registered, to have a FDR installed. By the way, by JAR-OPS 1 it's required since a long time.

Fossy

corporate kid
11th Jan 2007, 10:36
There are changes about to happen but its not a requirement for VP-B registered aircraft private catagory no matter the MTOW.

oceanpilot
12th Jan 2007, 15:21
Thank you for the two answers so far.

But my question was directed to the Lear, heavier Citation, Hawker and all the other on-demand charter operation pilots where ever they might fly. Maybe even with Net Jet (oh they are to busy complaining about the work condition)
I just wanted to know do you have one in your aircraft or not.
And if not what about the requirement in your country to get one?
I hope the question is not difficult. Or don't you know what a FDR looks like.
It’s actually orange not black and maybe hidden in your plane, very useless box until something happens, then other people come to look for it, mostly after the pilot f**ked it up and this the box can tell.

Happy landings

fortuna76
12th Jan 2007, 16:25
No need to get snappy sir, we are only trying to help!

In the future a black box will be mandatory on all airplanes over 5700 kg. Also it is at the moment mandatory for JAR-OPS, hence all Netjets planes have them!

Hope that helps you!