PDA

View Full Version : Aussie CPL to JAA CPL

flying_flick
10th Jan 2007, 15:46
I know this question has been asked before but doing my searches I couldn't find one of the posts. Feel free to post links if you know where they are.

So my question is what is required to convert an Aussie CPL to JAA CPL? Also can I transfer my frozen ATPL or do I need to redo all subjects?

Cheers Flick

UnderneathTheRadar
10th Jan 2007, 20:19
Briefly:

1) a flight test (plus the usual bollocks they'll make you do before recommending you for a flight test)
2) no - you must redo all ATPL exams - they only start making dispensation for unfrozen ATPLs and LOTS of exams.

References
- Altlantic flight training website has a section on their courses for converting non-JAA licences to JAA (not necessarily a recommendation for AFT though)
- www.caa.gov.uk - search for a document called LASORS - it's the bible of the UK licensing system.

Also remember that if you're going for a UK CPL then your initial medical issue MUST be done by the CAA medical section at Gatwick airport (your Oz medical is not ICAO compliant and so not valid) - I don't believe there are any exceptions to this rule (I don't know how WAAC get around this for Oz based students).

dxbpilot
10th Jan 2007, 20:22
Hi , doing the conversion at the moment. PM me if you need any info cheers

redsnail
10th Jan 2007, 21:35
Flying flick,

Yes, you'll have to do the ATPL subjects again in JAA land (specifically UK, not famil with other regulatory authorities).

In JAA land, you don't have to do the CPL subjects or the IR subjects IF you do the 14 ATPL subjects.

The source documents can be found online but it is a serious read, look up LASORS at the CAA SRG (UK) and for specific JAA/JAR stuff, go to www.jaa.nl
You'll be amused and confused for hours.

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Jan 2007, 00:15
Underneaththeradar : WAAC Don't get around it, I am starting there on 12th February and have to get my own medical at Gatwick. You also get a CASA one but I don't know the details of that yet.

Didn't think they could - makes it a $1600 + 400quid excercise just to get your medical if you're Australian based and want to use WAAC (not that there is any cheaper way of avoiding it unless you risk passing the entire course before going to the UK and getting it then....)

UTR.

dxbpilot
11th Jan 2007, 14:38
Maybe the best way to do it is to do your ATPL exams in the UK , just before you start the ATPL exams do your JAA medical in Gatwick when you arrive, then get the ATPL's out of the way , then go back to aus to do your flying....