PDA

View Full Version : No such thing as a free lunch – Nationwide

Deskjocky
10th Jan 2007, 06:49
This is a very interesting trend as it points to the fact that they have finally come to terms with the fact that they are a LCC. The cost savings in doing this are negligible given the fact that all the infrastructure will still have to be retained as its now going to be used to sell the food. Suppose you will save a few bucks on the booze but IMHO it not worth the trouble. If they are looking to cut costs then chopping a few percent off the commission they pay travel agents will save them far more. Although that’s a two edged sword- the trade support them because of the generous back end deals that are in place so if they were removed then I think a lot of traffic would swing to the other carriers. Perhaps ol Uncle Vern’s business model is finally catching up with him- coupled to the shortage of crew could spell a rough road ahead?

NATIONWIDE will begin charging economy-class passengers for food and beverages on its domestic routes from January 16.
There will also no longer be special meal requests in economy class in the domestic network.
According to Nationwide, the move does not make it a low-cost carrier as its business model remains different to those of the LCCs. It said in a statement: “Our customers told us that rather than having a limited range of items for consumption on board, they would prefer a wider selection from which to choose but understood full well the cost implications.”
Business-class passengers can still expect a full, free food and beverage service onboard domestic flights.
Free food and beverages will still be served in all classes on the Johannesburg-Livingstone or Johannesburg-London Gatwick routes.

Lucy Siebert
([email protected])

Bubesi
11th Jan 2007, 01:01
According to Nationwide, the move does not make it a low-cost carrier

No, just a cheap, not for the customer though, carrier.:yuk:

I.R.PIRATE
12th Jan 2007, 08:33
What the idiots always seem to forget is who makes up the majority of their pax. Yes, us - the cattle class! I would rather look after economy pax a little better first. Just shows that they feel absolutely nothing at all for the people who pay their salaries. With the price of air travel being what it is in SA, its surprising we dont get fed Fillets and select red wines. They have totally lost the plot. How can they justify those prices, and yet operate in the same style as LCC? Help me out here someone? or am I missing something.

I dont mind having to fork out for my own chow when I have only paid R300 for a ticket. But on a full fare arline - - get knotted clowns!

Woof etc
12th Jan 2007, 16:55
Maybe they are going to use the cash to finance salary increases across the board - yeah right!

Bubesi
13th Jan 2007, 01:52
...as soon as they finished paying Christmas bonuses!!!

saywhat
13th Jan 2007, 07:49
Maybe they are going to use the cash to finance salary increases across the board - yeah right!

More like....................to the board!!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh:

Woof etc
13th Jan 2007, 16:47
ha,ha - well spotted!

Shrike200
14th Jan 2007, 04:21
There is no board at Nationwide of course. I have yet to speak to a single trooper on the front lines (cabin and flightdeck crew) who believes that this is something even remotely approaching a good idea. Low cost services with full fare prices? WTF is Nwide smoking? What kind of business model is that?
And don't even get me started on the apparent lack of crew meals (hopefully I'm wrong on this one) - a nice double George, with the bonus of having their own company make money off them when they get hungry! Another morale-improving winner from Nwide management (known for many such efforts).

putt for dough
17th Jan 2007, 06:32
Yesterday was the 16th. Nationwides first
day of economy class pax having to fork out for their
food and drink. How did the bitter pill
go down with the pax? Anybody in the know?
And also does anybody know whether CE are
dropping their economy class fares now?

Time will tell how they hold out I suppose........