PDA

View Full Version : EY Flying to Dub!!!!

Regi
10th Jan 2007, 06:48
Just heard EY are opening Dub route 3 times weekly from Aug!!! Apparently ex GF manement have all the contacts in Dub(obviously from their time in GF!!!)EI will no longer fly to Dxb(not profitable according to EI management!!)Cause they are in talks with EY and JH persuaded them to give the route to EY......

When will GF suffer??

Bezi l
10th Jan 2007, 07:17
Hey Regi... what's your source??? ... with EI pulling out - why would EY go in??

boiler
10th Jan 2007, 09:47
If EI indeed drop DXB, then question now is: Will DUB-DXB pax be better off with GF who will take them directly to DXB with a 1 hour connection. or with EY, who will then have to ferry them to DXB by bus and be stuck for hours in traffic?

apaddyinuk
10th Jan 2007, 11:03
So EI are in the process of increasing the flights for the summer schedule with constant speculation of an extension of the service to the Far East in the next winter schedual. Also a full codeshare agreement with EK being imminent...Yet you hear that they are pulling off the route????

I would have no doubt that EY are looking at DUB with the intention of tapping the market of Irish Expats down in the ME but I think there is plenty of room for EI,EY and GF!

jackbauer
10th Jan 2007, 11:13
This guy Regi is a bull***ter. Just look at his other posts, full of nonsense. Paddy is right EI increasing frequency and possible extension to Far east.

akerosid
10th Jan 2007, 11:15
And don't forget, James Hogan - who took GF to DUB - is now CEO of Etihad.

Good news if true, but if EI pulls out of DXB, what's to stop EK flying to DUB? EK would have far better feed through DXB than EY, through AUH?

Anyway, best of luck to them if it happens.

Shamrock 125
10th Jan 2007, 17:22
i seriously doubt that EI are to pull out of DXB. the route has barely been up a year and with the winter being the DXB high season, loads and yield up to the end of march have obviously yet to be assessed. although pax numbers at times have been disappointing, i can assure you any time i have seen that flight being loaded the cargo pallets are almost at the half dozen mark. remember in the mid 90's when EI were in dire straits, those A330's made a profit with what was in the belly alone hopping across the atlantic every day.

sheryas777
13th Jan 2007, 15:00
:= When GF started DUB,it wasnt for any commercial reason.You remmmber that RK the ugly Irish,has now joined EY and as he did while with GF to operate to DUB,its only for their own comfort.
EY also thinking of SYD,no surprise,when all the Uzzi gang have taken over the airline.
Good luck to EY Chairman
i seriously doubt that EI are to pull out of DXB. the route has barely been up a year and with the winter being the DXB high season, loads and yield up to the end of march have obviously yet to be assessed. although pax numbers at times have been disappointing, i can assure you any time i have seen that flight being loaded the cargo pallets are almost at the half dozen mark. remember in the mid 90's when EI were in dire straits, those A330's made a profit with what was in the belly alone hopping across the atlantic every day.

left_to_first_class
13th Jan 2007, 17:33
Sheryas777 - your obviously not in the know.

There was a business case to fly to JNB and DUB (although you can argue its contents).
RK who could have used it to visit home frequently, never flew on that route.

akerosid
14th Jan 2007, 12:15
The Irish Prime Minister, Bertie Ahern, is leading a large Irish delegation to the Middle East, leaving today and will be visiting Saudi, Abu Dhabi and Dubai; it will be interesting to see if his visit to Abu Dhabi might include talks with Etihad top brass.

Today, in an Irish newspaper, the Sunday Tribune, Conor McCarthy (who has a small shareholding in the new Air Asia off-shoot, Fly Asia Express) expressed a view that the carrier would serve DUB and that this might happen before EI's "long awaited" service to Asia, so the pressure is certainly on EI to get its act together.

sheryas777
15th Jan 2007, 16:06
:suspect: Sheryas777 - your obviously not in the know.

There was a business case to fly to JNB and DUB (although you can argue its contents).
RK who could have used it to visit home frequently, never flew on that route.
Who established the business case ? In whos favor ?

left_to_first_class
16th Jan 2007, 15:01
Business case both JNB and DUB was done by AP (head of alliances).
The contents was and continues to be wishful thinking but signed up by the board.

akerosid
20th Jan 2007, 07:36
Today's Irish Times reports that the Irish PM, Bertie Ahern, who recently visited Saudi and the UAE on a trade visit, paid a visit to Etihad during his stop in Abu Dhabi. Etihad is expected to approve a DUB service during an upcoming board meeting, with services to start later in the year.

"One of the world's fastest-growing airlines may decide within weeks to begin direct flights between Dublin and Abu Dhabi, with onward connections to Australia and major centres in Asia.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern yesterday held two hours of talks with James Hogan, chief executive of Etihad Airways, the Abu Dhabi-based national airline of the United Arab Emirates and other senior company executives.

The airline was established four years ago.

The direct flights, planned to run four times a week, would cut hours off the journey time to Australia and Asia for Irish travellers, who currently have to make two connections in Europe and Asia to reach Australian destinations.

Etihad executive Vijay Poonoosamy said the airline was "seriously considering" opening the service "in the near future - sometime this year", and that the issue would go to the company's board shortly.

The airline announced a week ago that it would begin daily flights to Australia from Abu Dhabi following a bilateral aviation agreement between the United Arab Emirates and the Australian government."

The article goes on to state that EK may also add DUB, but this may be up to two years down the road.

So, good on you, Regi; you weren't too far off the mark after all!

It will be interesting to see whether other aspects of the predictions come to fruition: EI leaving DXB (I nearly wrote "EK leaving DXB" - now that would be fun! :p ), or starting new far eastern services?