PDA

View Full Version : Parachilna - South Oz

UnderneathTheRadar
10th Jan 2007, 04:47
Hi all,
Looking for info on airstrips near/at Parachilna in South Australia (approx 100nm NNE of Port Augusta).
Nothing in ERSA, I don't have any airstrip guides handy and google earth shows the old airport with what appears to be a large white cross at the intersection.
I have heard incidental stories of an unofficial airstrip somwhere near the pub?
Looking to take a Lance in there next week,
Cheers,
UTR.

bentleg
10th Jan 2007, 05:14
I have no first hand knowledge. Broken Hill WAC and 2004 AOPA guide talks about a strip at Blinman.
"31.07 S 138 43 E
03/21 Dirt 1200m 12/30 Dirt 800m
Animal hazard
Caution trees and hills
Stock Hazard
Airfield is located on the Town race course
Pilots land at own risk
Contact - Ian Fargher 08 8648 4863"
You can just see it in Google Earth. It doesn't sound too flash to me....and probably too far from Parachilna.
Ring the pub and ask them?

rearwhelsteer888
10th Jan 2007, 05:30
I go up there in a cheiftain from time to time and we decided about 2 yrs ago that the airstrip at the pub strip was unusable.
The next nearest in Commodore Station about 10 nm to the south.
N/S Rwy about 950m and a little sandy not soo good in heavy rains but handles hot and heavy 402 and Cheiftain
I dont have any Lat and Long at hand but if you call the parachilna hotel and speak to the owners they will have details.
Permission is required and a landing fee of twenty dollars cash is required before departure.
Word of warning: seroius bird ,Kangaroo, and Emu hazards exists
Happy Landings
RWS888
:E Same contact as above. Enjoy