Total ballots issued:558
Total returned:551
For:73
Against:478

I guess those 73 pilots who voted yes are upset!!!:ok:

Mudgie
10th Jan 2007, 03:57
Spot on Bypass!

QF Shorthaul have done it and now us....

Intersesting times ahead.:D

Aussie
10th Jan 2007, 05:34
What exactly were they offering?

Aussie

Led Zep
10th Jan 2007, 06:18
Peanuts, by the looks of it. :}

FrankAlbert
10th Jan 2007, 06:32
Peanuts, by the looks of it. :}

That's about what you would expect after using $30K to get ahead of others, right? :bored:

Bypass ratio
10th Jan 2007, 06:35
I only paid $20k back in 2003 and got back $15k at tax time! So, $5k was well spent I think.....

Mr.Buzzy
10th Jan 2007, 06:45
Dont worry about 'ol Frank. He got his ATPL for free. Ain't that right Frank?

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Transition Layer
10th Jan 2007, 07:01
Good work people!

Now if we can just convince the old school QF longhaulers to do the same with EBA8 (when it eventually comes to a vote)!

Bleve
10th Jan 2007, 08:42
Don't worry about EBA8. The majority of long-haulers are now under 35, have less than 10 years in the company and can see their futures being sacrificed to the god of corporate greed. Combined with an AIPA management team that can say no - EBA8 is not going to get up. Not under the current QF management anyway.

Going Boeing
10th Jan 2007, 08:47
Totally agree with you Bleve, and it won't just be the younger pilots voting No.

Torqueman
10th Jan 2007, 09:19
Total ballots issued:558
Total returned:551
For:73
Against:478

I guess those 73 pilots who voted yes are upset!!!:ok:

73 hey.... That's a lot of management pilots........:}

OPT/MAX
10th Jan 2007, 21:54
The way your company is headed frank, you'll be up for about $35,000 when you get sick of sitting in the back!! All the best with that :D

cunninglinguist
10th Jan 2007, 22:01
I only paid $20k back in 2003 and got back $15k at tax time! So, $5k was well spent I think.....

Can I have the name of your acct pls Bypass, with the top tax rate around 48c ( back then ) that is some very creative accounting :hmm:

Bypass ratio
11th Jan 2007, 01:08
Sorry, that did include a few deductions as well.....

FrankAlbert
11th Jan 2007, 01:39
The way your company is headed frank, you'll be up for about $35,000 when you get sick of sitting in the back!! All the best with that :D

Quite the opposite in fact, but most importantly I have kept the integrity never to buy a job. Not asking others to do the same, I know that just won't work.

Just can't stand the same group of pilots that helped airline conditions deteriorate so much (for their own personal gain) complain about what they have been offered. If you decide to work for a company that has so little regard for you that it won't invest in your training then isn't a little crazy to expect to be treated like a valuable professional by the company.:rolleyes:

Chris Higgins
11th Jan 2007, 02:09
Dont worry about 'ol Frank. He got his ATPL for free. Ain't that right Frank?
bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Unfortunately, these very attitudes are what got you the offer you now had to reject.

When you guys get serious about actually changing anything down there...give me a call.

Mr.Buzzy
11th Jan 2007, 02:21
The highhorsemen ride again!

Not worth the effort. Either of you.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz

Chris Higgins
11th Jan 2007, 02:29
No it's easier to just pay from mummy and daddy's bank account and pretend you're a professional. Do you have the gall to tell your neighbours that you're a QF pilot?!
You're part of the problem "Mr Discount Airline Pilot Guy", not part of the solution.
How's flying around with an engine mounting bracket attached to your wing workin' out for you?
Hey I've got a new slogan for Jetstar...

"When Greyhound won't get you home, we'll be there!"

or;

'When you're out of alternatives, you know where to turn to."

or;

"Because hitchiking is now illegal"

Dubya
11th Jan 2007, 02:44
Amazing of how a thread of great interest and Industrial importance gets screwed by a bunch of morons.
VB pilots actually stuck together to fight for a better future, unlike other "professional" pilots, and the thread turns out to be crap. You call yourselves professional. VB will be recruiting this year into the EMB and B737, and you same whinging clowns will miss out on a jet gig coz you're all so bitter in twisted.

Bring it on, ladies...

Howard Hughes
11th Jan 2007, 02:57
My grandma used to say, "money can't buy happiness"! From what I read on threads like this, it seems it can buy you plenty of bitterness though...:hmm:

OPT/MAX
11th Jan 2007, 03:38
The overwhelming response to the EBA is the first step to improving what is potentially a great company. Congrats to everyone involved. Would probably be able to count on one hand the number of times a pilot body has stood together. Bickering aside, it is in managements hands now and lets hope they are wise enough to handle it with the integrity it requires. Watch this space.....;)

Gnadenburg
11th Jan 2007, 04:03
The next step will be for VB managment to hint at the huge number of pilots who want to come home from abroad. Hundreds of highly qualified, cashed up expatriates who will fuel Virgin Blue's regional jet and international expansion.

Bluff or bite?

I say bluff. But ask around. Get the jump on management. The market may not be there! Don't be hoodwinked with the consistancy of the Impulse/Jetstar group.

cunninglinguist
11th Jan 2007, 05:59
QUOTE: How's flying around with an engine mounting bracket attached to your wing workin' out for you?

Hows running a 747 off the end of the runway going for YOU Higgins ??
Hey, I got a new name for QF............FIGJAM

Chimbu chuckles
11th Jan 2007, 06:20
If the attitudes of virtually all my mates working overseas is representative there aint a HUGE group of expats mouthing at the bit to race home to ****e T&Cs...anymore.

I would say the attitude of most of us is "**** that, have you seen the contract, I'll stay here and retire earlier and/or wealthier"

Lots of ex AN whingers have gone home and effectively stuffed J* as a pleasant workplace for the foreseeable future.

Many of us remaining, including some ex AN good guys, just smiled and waved bye bye:D

OPT/MAX
11th Jan 2007, 08:23
I think the fact that 87% of the guys are now united, they will stand just as strong for the rest of the negotiations... They need to. I don't think there is anything unreasonable about the log of claims... A mid way point is fair for all, and the pilot group would be happy to meet there:ok: Lets hope management are willing to do the same for the sake of the company!!

Grivation
11th Jan 2007, 09:07
Got to agree with some of the posts above - there just aren't people looking to come home to fly an Embraer (or any jet) for that type of money.

Contract companies are SCREAMING for experienced drivers worldwide.

Hold tight guys - you're about to realise some serious leverage.

Chris Higgins
11th Jan 2007, 11:03
It's not the group it's the nature of the industry... supply and demand.. when supply is excess and demand is low, conditions suffer. When an airline starts up, like VB or JQ, of course it's going to take advantage of excess supply.
Now that the supply is drying up and the airlines have established, the tide is turning. We are winning back power and conditions will get better. It is cyclic. Look back over the conditions 50 years ago till now. It hasn't always been good.
Heros on here who claim that they are better because they didn't have to pay for endorsements and claim anyone who has paid for endorsements are driving conditions down are intellectually inept and don't even deserve answering to.
I hope I'm never a passenger on one of their aircraft, as they probably don't have the intellectual capacity to think outside the square. :cool:
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Did you actually go to a pilot factory to learn that "intellectual" response?
You don't think PFT has driven down the ability of the industry to negotiate a livable wage?
You're acting like an alcoholic who is sitting on a park bench blaming the economy why they can't get a job.
The common mistake in all of your own decisions is you, Einstein!

Chris Higgins
11th Jan 2007, 14:59
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Good on ya buddy. Your post doesn't even warrant a response and I vow this will be the last one you'll get unless you write something not resembling horse manure.
Firstly supply and demand is a very basic economic principle that drives all markets, including labour markets. I have studied economics but you don't have to have half a brain to understand it. Sorry but you may struggle with that one.
Secondly, I have been flying airliners for some years now, I love my job and have done well out of it. So when you don't know s#it don't say bull s#it.
Thirdly, neither I nor any people you refer to have made mistakes. Market forces are just as uncontrollable as the tides buddy. If you think you or anybody can control them then I have given you too much credit for the little intelligence I thought you had.
You and one or two others seem to be the only ones on here souring the otherwise good news that a pilot group is showing unity and strength. You will mostly be ignored, including by me from now on.
Oh and it such a shame you have gone to America, I bet the village you left really misses not having thier idiot around.
Really!
Oh how awe inspiring! How intellectual!
Somebody held your family hostage and "forced" you to sign a contract of indentured servitude did they?
You've studied economics; wow!! I'm so impressed. So you really are an Einstein aren't you? So what happens when this new found unity comes to a screeching halt as your employer comes back to you and puts out a help wanted sign? Will the people that they employ that won't be paying for their jobs be considered scabs?
For agreeing to PFT in the first place you have held up your own sign that says, "We're desperate". How the hell do you think you have any power to renegotiate anything now? It's taken 15 years so far to repair the damage that PFT has done to the industry in the USA, and we still have a way to go.
My "village" in Australia is still quite proud to call me one of their own and my American children feel quite welcome in either place. I will be down at Easter to make a donation to the PMQ SLSC if you want to talk about this some more. My background does include a degree in this field and it has been very useful in turning the tide before.

boocs
11th Jan 2007, 16:13
Gnads,

How true it is!!!!! For goodness sakes, don't tell anyone.

Pete Conrad
11th Jan 2007, 21:34
ahhh, cunninglinguist does it again..the typical Jetstar defensive attitude comes out yet again.......hasn't anybody ever told you linguist, holier than thou attitudes are bad in aviation....

Well done to the VB guys.....good to see people making a stand. Something that the J* heros really can't attest to.

Truth Seekers Int'nl
11th Jan 2007, 22:18
..........without wishing to divert this thread and incur the wrath of the mods.......... but I think the fact that 87% of the guys are now united, they will stand just as strong for the rest of the negotiations... ....can i remind you that in 1989 the afap had 98% of the domestic pilots "united" before resigning en masse................

..........play it real cool guys!.................

Bleve
12th Jan 2007, 00:07
Different circumstances now. In 89 both TN and AN were exposed equally to industrial action, therefore niether was going to get be at a commercial disadvantage by taking the pilots on. Virgin and QF pilots are now industrially seperate. If any pilot group took an industrial stand it would expose that organisation to the other one moving in and cleaning up market share. Do you think management would risk that? No. Whilst DJ management will bluff and bluster ultimately they will need to come to an acceptable arrangement with their pilots. So yes indeed play it cool, but stand firm in doing so.

Hawk777
12th Jan 2007, 00:17
All I can say is good work DJ boys and girls.

Keep up the hard work.

Hawk777

Truth Seekers Int'nl
12th Jan 2007, 00:46
what you say is correct bleve but that was not my point.make sure that when the **** hits the fan,it's only those 13% that sign up for the awa.if more roll up,the game plan will crumble like a deck of house cards.

Chris Higgins
12th Jan 2007, 01:34
what you say is correct believe but that was not my point.make sure that when the **** hits the fan,it's only those 13% that sign up for the awa.if more roll up,the game plan will crumble like a deck of house cards.

And do you guys really want to risk losing your jobs to the red tails while your aircraft are repainted and sent to Europe and Africa?

Gnadenburg
12th Jan 2007, 01:36
what you say is correct bleve but that was not my point.make sure that when the **** hits the fan,it's only those 13% that sign up for the awa.if more roll up,the game plan will crumble like a deck of house cards.

Truth Seekers Intl

To give some perspective to the Virgin Blue people, will you forsake Cathay or Dragonair, to come home and fly an EMB, eating your lunch out of a brown paper bag, whilst flying max hours without the lure of overtime?

Would any of your friends do it?

Lets help them ( VB ) out here. The Impulse guys were hoodwinked with bluffs of the expatriate hoardes returning home. They are now looked on professionally, as if they've slept with their sister! :}

DutchRoll
12th Jan 2007, 02:45
Well done DJ pilots, hats off to you. Then again, from what I heard they offered, it was almost a foregone conclusion!

AO pilots just recently told management where to stick their latest EBA offer (yuk - very messy), and QF shorthaul guys likewise suggested a similar course of action by a 3/4 majority. The QF longhaul EBA is up soon, and pilot sentiment (among both old-timers and newbies) is not much different to the above.

Looks like there are a lot of very soiled and smelly EBA proposals sitting on Airline Management desks around the country at the moment! Maybe one day they'll get the message.

DutchRoll
12th Jan 2007, 09:59
Heh, actually they've already done something similar to that a couple of times.......and, well to be honest I hope Management aren't doing what most voting pilots are repeatedly telling them to do, otherwise they'd be feeling rather uncomfortable by now.:E

They've kinda upped the offers from "what, do you think we're idiots or something?" through "still pretty bloody insulting" and on to its current stage of "better, but you're really going to keep trying this caper on, aren't you?"

clear to land
12th Jan 2007, 10:08
Congratulations VB Pilots. This SHOULD/MAY get through to the people dancing around under the mushrooms in the old Telstra building. You van but hope!!!! It surprises me that 70+ guys thought that this document was worth more than toilet paper. But, I guess you all know who the sychophants are by now. As far as guys overseas wanting to come back, there will always be SOME. But of those I have spoken to here in the sand, there are NOT that many Australians who want to come and work for the present conditions, especially after talking to those of us who have experienced it. There will be a few more from various African countries seeking citizenship (understandably so if you saw where they are from!), but the ability to crew a whole operation from here would be very unlikely (ask Jetstar). Good luck in the coming negotiations, and remember-as you have just demonstrated, their is strength in unity. The management has committed to a course of action (EMB) and will not risk the loss of face in the media that postponing/delaying this will entail. The ball is definately in YOUR court for a change. Make sure you use your best endeavours!!:D

ITCZ
12th Jan 2007, 11:16
It's not the group it's the nature of the industry... supply and demand.. when supply is excess and demand is low, conditions suffer. When an airline starts up, like VB or JQ, of course it's going to take advantage of excess supply.
Now that the supply is drying up and the airlines have established, the tide is turning. We are winning back power and conditions will get better. It is cyclic. Look back over the conditions 50 years ago till now. It hasn't always been good.

Supply and demand curves are only part of the story. Important, but just the starting point.

Example: House prices are going berserk in Perth. Yet there are still some bargains to be had - some homeowners aren't hanging on for the best price. Had a mate nearly pick up a house in Freo for $300k until someone offered the old digger $550k. The old digger would have been happy with $300k, ten times what he paid for it way back when. And he hadn't done any research, he backed out after he went and told a neighbour what a great price he was going to get for his house!

Supply and demand will assist pilot wages go up, but only if pilots sell for what they are worth, not what the employer would like to offer.

Supply and demand was part of the mix when airline pilot wages started going up in the late '50s to '70s. But it wasnt just plain 'market forces' at work. It took determined, disciplined and protracted industrial action and lobbying.

Employers resisted paying higher wages then, and they will resist paying higher now. No point sitting back and hoping 'the market' will do the work for you.

VB boys and girls - well done in Round 1 of the big match. Watch out for Round 2, management will come out swinging with their Plan B.

Mesopause
12th Jan 2007, 15:15
Guys Relax!!!

Your airline Bosses are smart people. They know the imminent pilot shortage is massive!!

It will actually make the fuel crisis seem insignificant.

Ryanair knew this. I believe they gave reasonably large pay rises to their pilots and their rostering clerks now roster pilots 4 days on followed by 5 days continuously.

When you do the sums it actually works out that a captain of a 200 seat jet who is given a 100k pay rise only costs about 98 cents per passenger, 200k $1.96 and so on....

Take a deep breath and sit on your hands.

The fire handle is alight and the bells are ringing. Is it really a fire? Do you pull it and cut off everything or sit on your hands for 2 or 3 seconds??

You don't need to do anything. All sorts of offers are about to come your way.

Take what you can get and wait awhile but don't lock yourselves in!

If I owned an airline I wouldn't be telling you how valuable you are but I would try and lock you in on some long term arrangement. I know that without you I may not have an airline much longer!

The oldest trick in the corporate book is divide and conquer

Smell the Roses Guys!! Take a deep breath!! Go for a walk on the beach!!

Life is good!!!!:ok:

Aussie
12th Jan 2007, 23:23
Good effort from the VB guys, whens round 2?

Aussie

Truth Seekers Int'nl
12th Jan 2007, 23:46
will you forsake Cathay to come home and fly an EMB, eating your lunch out of a brown paper bag, whilst flying max hours without the lure of overtime?

.......no way!!!!! and i have a couple of mates in virgin who have already passed round 1 of the interviews up here and good luck to them.i know the guys are angry and will probably get their improved eba...........i'm just saying be cool.............:cool: