PDA

View Full Version : Can not load a website.

rickity
9th Jan 2007, 22:01
And its the wifes favorite :uhoh: only go to www.bonanzabrand.net if you really want to. (at least its clean)
Ok story so far, typing in the url gets a blank and eventually times out, but this is on 3 computers around the house, it works from work ok and digging out an old dial up account (on Tiscali) it works on that, so the site is ok, my computers are ok, which leaves my router, cable modem and ISP (NTL). I hear a wisper of try DNS, ok ping resolves www. to IP address ok, even tracert works.
getting slightly desperate (and may be a bit technical) now so dig out a packet analyser, this tells me that tcp is sending 3 "syn_sents" times 3 to the server that bonanza sits on and is not getting anything back:confused: pretty sure that the router is ok as I think all other sites appear ok, and the cable modem should'nt effect things at this level. Is it possible that the ISP may be blocking the reply. Router and cable modem have both been powered off and on. My understanding of TCP syn_sent is that it is initiating a connection, getting the appropriate reply would allow the connection to be established, and from there data to flow.
So anyone seen the likes of this else where, any suggestions of other tests which may throw some light on the matter. Not sure that NTL help desk will cope with this, but underpressure of having to talk to the wife if I dont find a fix.
other bits OS is XP pro, browser IE7 ( but mozzilla and firefox same result) firewall is zonealarm (same result on or off) and AVG for virus (same result on or off)

exeng
9th Jan 2007, 23:00
For me the site loads with a full page. However it says it is 'under construction'.

Regards
Exeng

Tarq57
10th Jan 2007, 07:40
Ditto. Loads in seconds..."under construction".

planecrazy.eu
10th Jan 2007, 11:23
Same here, works with IE and Firefox

NutLoose
10th Jan 2007, 11:41
In the inernet browser window, go tools, internet options and check your security settings are not to high etc........ if you turn it almost all the way up you cannot normally access diddle squat on the web, just a thought..........

BOAC
10th Jan 2007, 21:42
rickity - what actually shows in the 'address bar' when you try to load?

rickity
10th Jan 2007, 22:16
BOAC, the correct URL remains in the address bar, so I'm not suspecting any hijacking if thats were your going.

Nutloose, tried to lower security with no changes and it worked on the dialup with normal security set

Tried a proxy server tonight and that worked ok too

which leaves me with the dread of having to contact NTL :{

Anybody out there using NTL broadband that can try the site and let me know if they can access would prove a point I guess.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

Rickity

Saab Dastard
11th Jan 2007, 09:37
rickity
I'm on telewest blueyonder - the same company as ntl now - and it exhibits the same behaviour for me as you are experiencing.

SD

rickity
11th Jan 2007, 20:00
Thanks SD its good to know I'm not alone.

But Miracles occasionally occur its suddenly started to work OK.

Could it have possibly been because of the e-mail to NTL ( to which they responded with a please phone.....)?

Could it have been an impossibly long time for NTL servers to replicate addresses.?

or just luck.

So Wifes happy, and ive got time back to browse Pprune.

Cheers All

Ricity

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Jan 2007, 20:58
Any problems with NTL's "transparent" proxies (which typically occur every few weeks or months), see, as always for cable modem problems, Robin Walker's web site.

rickity
11th Jan 2007, 22:44
GTW got a link for robin walkers site?

Saab Dastard
11th Jan 2007, 23:22
Robin Walker's Cable Modem site (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html)

Seriously useful stuff - I've added it to the FAQ above.

SD

rickity
12th Jan 2007, 21:08
Thanks SD, seems like everything you ever needed to know.

Rickity