PDA

View Full Version : UK to Khartoum--query / advice

Krystal n chips
9th Jan 2007, 06:35
It appears there is good chance I will shortly be travelling to Khartoum. The options seem to be limited however to BMed for the frequency of flights.

Has anybody here used this service please. Are there any potenatial problems at all ?. Any ideas as to load factors, service etc and any potential problems on arrival at Khartoum that I should be aware of ? .

In short, any advice / coments re this route would be welcome please.

ALLDAYDELI
9th Jan 2007, 08:32
are SUDAN AIRWAYS not operating thier twice weekly LHR-KRT with A300-600?

flybywire
9th Jan 2007, 13:43
Has anybody here used this service please. Are there any potenatial problems at all ?. Any ideas as to load factors, service etc and any potential problems on arrival at Khartoum that I should be aware of ? .
In short, any advice / coments re this route would be welcome please.

Hi!

I have never been to Khartoum, however I used to go back and forth to Amman and on some days I had to take the Khartoum service with intermediate stop in Amman.
I do not know if BMED fly non-stop to Khartoum now, I doubt it as they fly with A320/321 and the flight is really long, so you might have to have an intermediate stop in Amman for an hour or so, the time to get a new crew and possibly new catering.

I have never had any problems with BMED I have always found them quite pleasant in fact. The cabin at the back is similar to world traveller on BA although the IFE is shown on the drop-down screens. They have a fair choice on radio channels and I will never forget how much I laughed once when they had a special programme on Billy Connolly :E

Club world, though, is quite different, as their A320.321 do not have lie-flat seats. However the food is at Club world standards.

As for the kind of passengers on the route, to be honest I have never had any problems, maybe the BMED cabin crew might say the opposite, but I have always had a very good and relaxing journey. You will get a mixture of people from Jordan, Sudan and possibly some UN workers and militars en-route to Iraq.

Have a good journey whichever airline you choose!!

FBW :)

PS:I think Royal Jordanian flies to Khartoum too, but then you'll have to change aircraft at Amman....not difficult, but maybe not as convenient as BMED.

pzu
9th Jan 2007, 15:56
Been a while now (July '04) since I did a regular KRT run - before BMED started

Fortunate enough to travel C Class, route of choice then was LH via FRA (on board transit CAI),

Airline of choice was EK via DXB - limo pick up in UK and hotel in DXB both ways

another option was KLM/KQ via AMS & NBO on way out and KQ/KLM via CAI & AMS on way home but must be C class to avoid 'black hole' of CAI transit!!!

my first trip out was BA to JED and then SV from there - interesting transitting Saudi w/out a visa!!!

PZU - Out of Africa

George Foreman
9th Jan 2007, 22:16
I work for BMED and I've done a few Khartoum trips, with another coming up this week. It would be our pleasure to have you on board. For the current season we typically go via Alexandria or Amman and return via Alexandria, Amman or Beirut. The transit stops are as short as we can make them, typically 30-45mins, to take on fuel and catering.

Skylion
10th Jan 2007, 09:06
Recent visitors to Khartoum and northern Sudan report very welcoming people and no problems.
BMed/BA franchise is an excellent airline and is definately the best choice ex London as the service is direct ( ie no change of aircraft).

Krystal n chips
10th Jan 2007, 15:29
Thank you to all who replied :ok: If the plans continue as anticipated--and this is still in the planning stage--it will be BMed sometime in February.

Long Haul
11th Jan 2007, 00:13
KLM operates non-stop flights from Amsterdam to Khartoum on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 10:40, arriving at 18:50. The returning flight leaves at 20:10 and arrives at 5:40. You can connect to Amsterdam from just about every airport in the UK that has airliners present.