PDA

View Full Version : Need help with *.pst files

Al Fakhem
8th Jan 2007, 02:07
I am trying to open archived MS Outlook files in *.pst format. If I go to the icon of the folder containing these files and click "open", Notepad opens up and I can see in left bottom left corner of the window that the file is loading. However, whenever it has reached something like 10 to 12%, the counter returns to zero and the folder is never completely opened.

Does anyone have a better way of opening these archived files? Any help greatly appreciated.:ok:

extreme P
8th Jan 2007, 03:03
Can you import the file back into Outlook?

Oceanz
8th Jan 2007, 03:37
In Outlook:
File>Open>Outlook Data File

Al Fakhem
8th Jan 2007, 04:47
Wow.... so simple. Why doesn't one think of the most obvious first? Thanks, everybody:D

Mac the Knife
8th Jan 2007, 06:58
Apart from everything else, Notepad fell over because it can't open files larger than 64k

Use Metapad (free) - http://liquidninja.com/metapad/ - instead.

:ok:

Saab Dastard
8th Jan 2007, 18:24
Apart from everything else, Notepad fell over because it can't open files larger than 64k

Only true of the old 16-bit version (win 9x).

The 32-bit version can open massive files - I've opened files of 50MB and more using notepad under any version of Win NT / 2K/XP.

Fair's fair ;)

SD

Oceanz
9th Jan 2007, 03:26
Saab's correct ... though if you don't have a fast machine then a large file might be open by the time you get up for breakfast tomorrow :uhoh:. Task Manager may report "file not responding" but it will usually still be chugging away in the background.

No idea why notepad takes so long when other freeware and paid notepad-type programs can open it in a small fraction of time.