PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy landing again at Birmingham

Maddie
7th Jan 2007, 22:45
Hello everyone.

I came in to Birmingham this afternoon at 15.26 from Dublin. We had been advised that it was a bit windy at Birmingham, so we might experience some turbulence on the approach. As it happened everything was fine until we cleared the clouds which were quite heavy. We seemed to becoming down through them for about ten minutes. However, in the 3 minutes before landing (i.e. just after the final approach bell rang and the exit signs illuminated) the plane suddenly appeared to be caught in a cross wind. It shook from side to side quite severely and it wasn't just me (the perennial nervous passenger) who noticed it. We then seemed to brake very very heavily on touchdown.

I checked afterwards with the BHX information desk and the wind was apparently only 15 knts at that time. Could anybody explain what may have happened and the likelihood of it re-occurring.

I always sit at the back of the plane seat 29D or E which I know is the worst place to be in for feeling turbulence, but I am very claustrophobic as well which is why I choose this seat. A few weeks ago we had what I thought was a relatively 'choppy' landing as well, on that occasion the wind was 30 knots, however, we seemed to bounce up then rather from side to side.

On an aside I must say thank you to everyone who has replied in the past to my postings. It really helps me. When I am travelling I think back on the words of reassurance I have received and it does make a difference.

A belated Happy New Year to you all.

perkin
7th Jan 2007, 23:31
For what its worth, I had a very similar approach to Amsterdam this evening (I also sat in the back row as it happens), with a fair bit of lateral movement after we descended through and out of the base of the cloud, so it could well be down to the prevailing weather conditions over this part of Europe (AMS weather seemed pretty similar to MAN, from an innocent bystanders point of view). I'm happy to stand corrected by a more informed ppruner tho...

May even be worth asking the cabin crew after you've parked at the gate if you can speak to the flight crew (of course bearing in mind their turnaround times etc!) to find out exactly what the bumps & braking were all about, at least then you'll know for next time. I'm sure most flight crew would be more than happy to take a couple of minutes out to assist a nervous flyer :)

TopBunk
8th Jan 2007, 06:36
EGBB 071520Z 19017G27KT 9999 -SHRA SCT018 SCT024 10/08 Q1002

This was the actual weather a couple of minutes before your landing. It would mean you probably landed on runway 15 (towards the southeast) with a wind from 190degrees (just west of south) gusting to 32 mph. Not an unusual day at BHX, ie quite a blustery crosswind which can be quite a testing set of conditions in which to land. I say well done to the guys up front for another successful flight.

Avman
8th Jan 2007, 07:01
Hi Maddie, the heavy braking can be simply down to the crew wanting to safely vacate the runway as expeditiously as possible via a particular taxyway.

22/04
8th Jan 2007, 08:23
I'm not a weather expert but yesterday, from the left seat of my DR400 (little aeroplane) was very rough ( more than the windspeed might suggest) with strong turbulence just below cloudbase.

Non of this is a problem as all aircrew are mindful of staying within their limits and those of the aeroplane, although I know it's never pleasant ot be thorwn around.

Twin Peaks
9th Jan 2007, 18:36
BHX is a ****ty little airport. Permanent crosswinds, bumpy surfaces and very busy to boot. Hated the place when i had to fly there. Not surprised that the topic starter had a less than enjoyable time of it.
Absolutley amazed it attracts the traffic it does:oh:

TightSlot
9th Jan 2007, 19:54
Well, Twin Peaks - a post that is certain to reassure a nervous flier - filled to the brim with the same professional and detailed comment that you have demonstrated on your previous posts (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=820153) (I assume that you are actually employed as a commercial airline pilot?)

Give us all a break chum - the lady asked a reasonable question, politely phrased and with what appears to be a genuine concern: She deserves a little better than a cheap cynical snipe that fails to advance the issue one jot.
Why not flypast one of your own previous postings in the Private Flying forum?

if you can stand the self opinionated, unprofessional, obnoxious, un-qualified and down right rude comments

tiggerific_69
9th Jan 2007, 20:07
well said tightslot :D Twinpeaks,go and post your arrogant and insulting remarks elsewhere.try going to frankfurt,its busier and bumpier there.

i am bhx based,and it was pretty windy coming into land this morning,specially in a smaller aircraft than what i presume was an A320.the crosswinds are pretty strong at BHX sometimes,but the pilots know what theyre doing,they know how to control the aircraft in these situations,and if for one second they thought the wind was too much,they would go around and try again.the pilots probably brake harder after landing so that they can slow the aircraft down more quickly and therefore combat the winds,as when youre going slower,they seem to have less of an effect!i often notice when landing on Runway 15 at BHX (where the terminal is on the left hand side of the aircraft as you come down the runway) that the wind will catch you at the last minute,however today it was fairly windy all the way down!i dont know what the forecast is for the next few days,but hopefully it will start improving soon :)

Maddie
10th Jan 2007, 22:17
Thank you one and all for your answers.

Don't worry I'm not offended by Twink Peaks answer, I guess he is just a guy/girl who calls a spade a spade rather than say a muck digger.

My question was very genuine. I have very serious care committments in Dublin, which I have to attend to every weekend. The only way I can deal with them keep my 'other' job over here going and juggle all balls in the air (no pun intended) is to fly back and forth every week, sometimes more than once.

I gave up flying about 10 years ago, through absolute fear, and only re-commenced it 3 years ago, when following a family bereavement, I had to take on these care responsibilities. Yes, I have been doing this journey regularly for 3 years now and no it doesn't get much easier.

However, I also meant sincerely what I said about the support I get on PPRUNE in reply to my questions. When the plane starts to shake and I cover my head with my coat, I start reflecting on the sound advice you have given me and it keeps me sane (well jus about).

Thanks again one and all.

Maddie