PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the WIFI Skype Phones?

Guern
7th Jan 2007, 22:36
Hi Guys & Gals
Anyone tried the WIFI Skype Phones that just need a WIFI point not a PC so you can use them when away from home? Not talking about ones that you can just use in your house but ones that ones that work from any WIFI hotspot that is open.
eg http://www.belkin.com/skype/howitworks/
any feedback gratefully received.
Cheers
Guern

Keef
8th Jan 2007, 00:14
I suspect they only work to your existing Skype contacts list, so a bit less useful than Skype plus Skype-Out loaded onto your iPaq. With that, you can do the same (connect via any hotspot), but then you can use your 1p a minute calling credit.

That's a lot cheaper at an airport (with free hotspot) than using your mobile phone!

planecrazy.eu
9th Jan 2007, 10:06
Hey There. I have had a similar thing since last year. Its a box that hooks upto the net and you just put the regular phone into the box and then it connects with skype. It was terrible, sounded like an indian call centre as sometimes the people sounded distant.

I have heard the newer ones are streaming at 128kbs so that should be perfect, but not so sure.

Skype are offering calls on my 3Phone now too, might give that a try

sloppysue
9th Jan 2007, 16:17
Think it will be a lot better when you can seemlessly move from one hotspot to another. At the mo if you go out of the range of one you'd be cut off.

Guern
9th Jan 2007, 23:18
Just like the idea that I can use it at home with my Wifi router and also when away for cheap / free calls