PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Airshow 2007

lk978
7th Jan 2007, 22:28
I am wandeirng where people suggest staying for the airshow this year, i will be there for all of the trade days. I was thinking of staying in melbourne and then getting a hire car for the week. or is geelong a better option? any help would be great

puff
7th Jan 2007, 23:08
Depends on a lot of things, but one of the main problems at this late stage will be getting any accomodation in the Geelong area, generally the whole area basically books out. It most certainly is a lot easier to drive back to Geelong on a daily basis than the drive back to Melbourne. Other options if it's just for a nights sleep include areas like Werribee or around the Pt Cook area if you can find a hotel around there. If you are going book now, when I booked accom the hotel said that there was some sporting event in town the weekend of avalon too which I can't remember, as such even accom in Melbourne was hard to find and expensive!

bentleg
8th Jan 2007, 10:27
I am wandeirng where people suggest staying for the airshow this year, i will be there for all of the trade days. I was thinking of staying in melbourne and then getting a hire car for the week. or is geelong a better option? any help would be great

Aberdeen Motor Inin Geelong is VG. I stay there each year as an airshow volunteer. They had rooms a few months ago. Could be worth a call 03 5221 2177 or email [email protected]

topend3
9th Jan 2007, 04:40
rang every outfit in Geelong today and no luck. lots of places only take 3 or even 5 night minimum bookings. I am flying direct to AVV. I scored at Torquay Hotel, it's 20 minutes from Geelong so beats driving up to Melbourne, they say they have plenty of rooms and is close to the beach.

lk978
9th Jan 2007, 05:38
Ssorry for my ignorence but how far is avalon from melbourne is it a comfortable drive?

bentleg
9th Jan 2007, 05:50
Avalon is 58 kms from Melbourne CBD. Nearly all freeway. About a 40 minute drive normally - traffic will be heavy on airshow days. You can spend time in the traffic queue when you get close to Avalon, and you have to walk from where you park.

Geelong is 22kms - about 15-20 minutes drive - again mainly freeway.

jumpuFOKKERjump
9th Jan 2007, 05:53
How long depends where you start from!!! 40min drive from CBD, double that on a public day.

bentleg
10th Jan 2007, 04:44
hey does anyone know if i can go to the show on all 3 days with 1 ticket or do I need to get a ticket everyday??thnx:ok:
You need a separate ticket each day unless you buy a gold pass covering more than one day.

http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/artist/1055606
http://www.airshow.net.au/airshow2007/ticketing/index.html

qantas22
17th Jan 2007, 09:30
Ssorry for my ignorence but how far is avalon from melbourne is it a comfortable drive?

ik978. Stay in melbourne cbd and get the train to lara. From there you can get a free shuttle bus straight to the airshow. No hassles and cheap. I hear they will charge 10 dollars a day for parking this year and you might still need to walk a good distance.

ZK-DAN
18th Jan 2007, 01:03
Is there going to be any PPRuNe tent or similar at the airshow? Myself and Mrs ZK-DAN are coming over from NZ to go to the airshow. Was last in Melbourne in 96.

bentleg
18th Jan 2007, 06:19
I don't really know how it works with the fly ins..do you fly direct to the airport or?...any advice would be appreciated:)

There is an AIP SUP issued each year -
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/sup/s7-h01.pdf

Basically on airshow public days you fly into Avalon East (with several hundred other lighties). Read the AIP SUP above......

It's not a flight I'd be suggesting to a brand new PPL. Try something less complex on your early flights. If you must do it take an experienced pilot with you as extra eyes and ears.

EPIRB
22nd Jan 2007, 07:29
Has anybody heard if the A380 is going to be there?

Launchpad McQuack
22nd Jan 2007, 09:15
Not a bad idea at all.....must be a few Ppruners turning up for the show...I'll be making the trip across the Tasman myself.

Any other thoughts people?? A Pprune beer tent perhaps?? :} :ok:

nig&nog
23rd Jan 2007, 11:51
Like all of the above I will finally be in town again for Avalon, its been 12 years since my last show, but do charter companies from En or Mb still run shuttle services to East Avalon and if so which ones?:)

Soulman
23rd Jan 2007, 21:59
do charter companies from En or Mb still run shuttle services to East Avalon and if so which ones?:)

I believe Direct Air (http://www.directair.com.au/news/avalonairshow-2007.htm) have something set up.

Sunfish
24th Jan 2007, 03:23
Avalon is about 40 minutes from Williamstown so I have no excuse to fly.

25th Jan 2007, 09:24
Just heard today that I'll be there also showing off the boss's shiny new aircraft. Did the same two years ago with an older version.

Enjoyed myself - stayed in Melbourne CBD and it was a long drive but no hassels.

Bring on the PPrune beer tent

john_tullamarine
25th Jan 2007, 10:29
Like Sunfish it will be Williamstown for me ..

Re a beer, the Little River (from which the pop group took its name) Pub is closest (bit back toward Melbourne). When last I worked at Avalon I ate there regularly .. good meals and convivial. Can't provide a recent reference though .. perhaps someone closer could do a subtle recce ?

yowie
25th Jan 2007, 11:19
Hey nog,
Get a plane off your old mob and scare yourself,its good for the soul:ok:

Launchpad McQuack
26th Feb 2007, 22:38
So no move by anyone to arrange a social gathering at all?? Must be a few ppruners turning up......:confused:

GK430
1st Mar 2007, 15:26
All the way from up in the U.K. Third visit to the show and I'll be in Williamstown - again.
Remember the Little River band - got a vinyl and remember seeing the sign to it off the Freeway - pub any good?

How many speed cameras on that Freeway now:ugh: :=

john_tullamarine
1st Mar 2007, 19:35
There will be numerous PPRuNers in tow for the show ... Gaunty, Milt, JT for starters in addition to those nominating in this thread ... the FTSA days will have a few more in attendance I'm quite sure.

.. unfortunately, that fine fellow and stalwart drinking companion, OzExpat, will be up to his ears conducting audits in a place far away during the said week .. so his absence will be quite a tragedy in the evenings ... guess that means that Gaunty, Milt, and I will have to drink his share ... it's a tough life but someone has to do it ...

Perhaps I should wear my OzBash tee shirt from several years ago ... then again, maybe not .. horrible sight

Re the LR Pub .. I had a permanent room there some years ago when I was last at Avalon ... can't give a current report ... but back then ... lovely folk and real good nosh. Probably not many realise that there is accommodation there .. could be worth a call to check.

Looks like there will be sufficient numbers coming from Williamstown to have a convivial or two there perhaps ?

Skystar320
1st Mar 2007, 22:07
A fellow pprune member and i will be in Melbourne for the Avalon Air show.

djpil
2nd Mar 2007, 00:30
JT, I'll be staying at Lara throughout but can travel back to Willy for drinks if necessary however I'd prefer to crawl back from somewhere closer such as the Lara pub (from recent experiences, good food but likely to be busy) or social club (downmarket but probably won't be as busy as the pub), even LR (the venue for many aviation sessions over the years).
GK430 - treat that road as if speed cameras are every inch of the way and on 24/7 (also, too many of my friends have been killed on it).

john_tullamarine
2nd Mar 2007, 03:07
G'day, Dave ... I'll PM you my mobile if you could do the same. I should be there for most of the week. Certainly will catch up with you.

GK430
2nd Mar 2007, 13:41
Sorry to hear that djpil.

I drove down it in the wet after a long dry spell; it was like a skid pan.

I know about the cameras - I can never spot them. They're so covert compared to what we have to contend with.

galaxy flyer
3rd Mar 2007, 17:03
This Ppruner should be there-working:{ ! Showing one of the Canada's finest aircraft :D First time in ML, too.

GF

GK430
3rd Mar 2007, 20:43
Galaxy Flyer - A Global Express?
But a Galaxy comes from the competitior's stable....! Or is that a G.200 now.

Ooops, no just checked.....a C-5 Galaxy...;)

galaxy flyer
3rd Mar 2007, 21:32
The company will have GLEX, CL605 (brandy new!) and CL300 at the show. My wing brought a C-5 several times, but times change and we (they?, I'm retired) don't do airshows much anymore, except the one's with real firepower demos.

GF

Been to Richmond's show a couple of times.