PDA

View Full Version : NSW- Parachitist dies after jumping from chopper

belly tank
7th Jan 2007, 21:05
anyone know more about this?

An tourist from Iceland died after his parachute failed to open properly during a jump at a northern NSW music festival.

The 27-year-old suffered fatal head injuries after jumping from a helicopter at the Superfreak electronic music festival at Bonalbo about 6.45pm yseterday.

A second parachutist, who also jumped from the chopper, completed his jump safely.

A number of people witnessed the incident, and detectives are speaking to festival-goers.

The three-day Superfreak outdoor festival is held at Bonalbo's Gorge Station, two hours' drive from Byron Bay, and features a number of international DJs.

The helicopter jump was believed to be among adventure activities on offer at the festival, police said.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has been informed and investigations into the incident continue.

It is the second fatal accident involving a malfunctioning parachute in as many weeks, with a hang-glider pilot last Thursday plunging 1,500 metres to his death at Forbes, in the NSW central west.

maxspeed
8th Jan 2007, 20:16
Bad news for everyone involved by the sounds, late opening in front of 800 plus rave goers, no approved drop zone. Wont be the last we hear of it.

I am thinking of doing some dropping out of the JR, have done a fair bit of fixed wing dropping but would like to talk to or get some info off any one who has done any Heli meatbombing (sucessfully) in particular out of a jetty, before I consider it. Cheers

bladepitch
8th Jan 2007, 20:26
Max

if your in OZ , there is a JR at a sky diving company out of sydney operating down at picton. when i dropped in last the chopper didnt look like it had been used for a long time (they didnt need to worry about tie downs as the grass was doing a super job on its own!)
there might be some there to chat to for some help or at least point you in the right direction.

BP

PO dust devil
8th Jan 2007, 21:18
Just make sure that your jumpers don't kick off assymetrically from the skids. Best to brief that they should simply step off without a push! That's my best advice FWIW, unless you and your JR are endorsed for aerobatics!

DD

B Sousa
8th Jan 2007, 21:32
Meatbombs can give a Helicopter Pilot a real thrill in controlability. Best to brief them all beforehand and thump the heads of any that dont look awake.
In the states DOA Divers are considered "Aircraft Accidents" and wont look good on your FAA records.. be careful out there.

USPA #1980

Aesir
8th Jan 2007, 23:34
This accident was all over the news here. I was not to happy about how they put emphasis on the fact that he jumped from a helicopter, like it mattered!?

Hughes500
9th Jan 2007, 07:46
Maxspeed

Only dropped them from 500's. Best advice - make sure that all safety belts etc etc are well lashed in. Just about everything wants to leave the ac with the jumpers. Seatbelts have a nasty habit of ending up flapping outside - doesnt do the paint or skin much good.
I seem to suffer a bit of vertigo at 4000 ft ( normal jump height ) strange really as I have flown for 20 years and used to do a lot of climbing. It always seems quite sureal with the jumpers standing on your skids, doing 60 kts and having a conversation with a guy outside the machine.
Jumpers will always leave one side first so expect a bit of rocking as they go ............... then the sense of loneliness looking down at the canopies.
Always make sure that you track the canopies down plus have radio comms with dz . very easy to beat them down if you autorotate

Have fun