PDA

View Full Version : Caps Lock

daedalus
6th Jan 2007, 16:53
Does anyone know why this utterly stupid key even exists? Even if some people require it could it not be put somewhere else (a switch on the side of the laptop for example). Who needs the bloody thing and why is it still there on all (to my knowledge) keyboards? How can you disable the bugger?
At least with the old and superior Word Perfect, if you'd typed paras and paras, if not pages of CAPS, you could go into reveal codes and rectify the situation. Not with bloody WORD you can't !

As far as I'm aware you can't even block a text and choose CAPS or lower case.

Anybody know better?

:ugh:

BOAC
6th Jan 2007, 17:30
.........but how would people SHOUT on forums..................?:ugh:

stevef
6th Jan 2007, 17:38
I'm using Word 2002 and use: Format - Change Caps.
Don't mind the Caps Lock; it's the Insert button that annoys me.

matelot
6th Jan 2007, 17:40
It's Necessary For The 419 Scammers To Type Their Emails. What Would Charles Soludo And Miriam Abacha Do WITHOUT A CAPS LOCK?
Why Won't This Post Stay In Caps?
WHY DO THE PARAGRAPHS KEEP CLOSING UP?

Farmer 1
6th Jan 2007, 17:59
Daedalus,

I've just changed to Word 2007. First impressions are that it's different. Can't figure out yet how to do the Change Case trick, which was simple enough in the previous version.

If I remember correctly, which may not be the case, you highlight the relevant section, then click on Format - Change case. It gives you various options, most of which are reasonably self-explanatory.

Reasonably simple, honest.

ZH875
6th Jan 2007, 18:20
Usually, in Word, select the text you wish to change case of, and press 'Shift F3' and it will change case, it will go between CAPS, Title Case, and lower case depending on how many times you press 'Shift F3'.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jan 2007, 18:39
Does anyone know why this utterly stupid key even exists?
If you were taught to type properly on a typewriter you would have been trained in the use of the SHIFT LOCK key, which was seriously useful when wanting to type more than about one word in capitals.

The CAPS LOCK key on computer keyboards was someone's idea of trying to be clever, and emulate the SHIFT LOCK key to get letters to be typed as capitals without also getting the numbers to be typed as !"£$%^&*(), as happened on typewriters with SHIFT LOCK.

Once upon a time (in the early 1980s) I was of the opinion that this clever clogs had got it wrong and that a proper SHIFT LOCK key on a computer keyboard would have been better ... but I can't remember now why I thought that.

hobie
6th Jan 2007, 18:45
If I remember correctly, which may not be the case, you highlight the relevant section, then click on Format - Change case. It gives you various options, most of which are reasonably self-explanatory.

Reasonably simple, honest.

Spot on for Word 2003 ...... :ok:

edit - spelling correction....

Irish Steve
7th Jan 2007, 00:05
Just be VERY thankful you don't work with one of the people I work for, who despite much pleading begging and other forms of entreaty, insists on typing EVERYTHING he does, including E-mail, in UPPER CASE. As he's using Word, that means spell checker ignores everything he does, which adds to the impression that he's a complete a:mad: e:} .

Then again, I suppose I should be thankful, at least it confirms to most of the people that he's dealing with that he's a complete bozo!

Agreed, the Caps Lock key is a darn nuisance where it is, but the chances of changing it now are slim to none.

I suppose you could always take the keytop off the stem and put a blocker piece under it, which would at least mean that it's not turned on by accident when trying to speed type.

Mac the Knife
7th Jan 2007, 03:13
Go here - http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_caps_lock/ - and suffer no more.

stickyb
7th Jan 2007, 12:16
Just be VERY thankful you don't work with one of the people I work for, who despite much pleading begging and other forms of entreaty, insists on typing EVERYTHING he does, including E-mail, in UPPER CASE. As he's using Word, that means spell checker ignores everything he does, which adds to the impression that he's a complete a:mad: e:} .

In Word (I am using 2003, but the oprtion was ther in arlier models), go to Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar. Untick the box IGNORE UPPER CASE WORDS and they will get spell checked!

7th Jan 2007, 18:46
I can highly recommend the caps lock link given by Mac..

I've installed it on 2 computers, (One being a work computer, which was used by the same sort of d1ckhead described by Irish Steve), and never had a problem.
If you do decide to use it, make sure that you download and save the
"remove scancode mappings.reg" prog.
That way, when and if you want to get the PC back to normal, it only takes a couple of seconds to do.

When you've clicked on the link, you must restart your computer before it will have any effect.

BOFH
7th Jan 2007, 20:25
Gertrude

a proper SHIFT LOCK key on a computer keyboard would have been better
It works that way on my German keyboard on a Windows system. Odd, ISTR noticing the difference when I'm using my (English) systems in the office.

matelot
You're right! Control Panel/Regional Settings/Input Langiage/Nigerian

I tried to sign off with 'BOFH' and got this instead:

GREETINGS IN JESUS NAME
BARRISTER PROF. ADAMS CHARLES ENGR

Lord Lucan
8th Jan 2007, 07:09
I agree, Caps Lock is a real bore. I have been using capsunlock for a couple of years, never had any problems with it.

http://www.brainsystems.com/capsunlock/

give it a try