PDA

View Full Version : Life In Dicovery

THE POINTY END
6th Jan 2007, 13:29
Just looking for a some info really. Will be moving to HK as S/O later this year with Wife and dog. Had a look round Discovery Bay during assesment and am interested in how people find it. Also, I am looking at Deepwater as well. Are there any good web sites for accom within the S/O budget of 24000hkd/mnth. I've tried various searches on the web, but everything seems to be above this rate.

WaldoPepper
6th Jan 2007, 23:40
Pointy,

Discovery Bay is a good place for pets and kids. It's convenient to both the city and work (25 mins to each one). A lot of people don't like DB, but then I know the same amount of people who can't stand the city (noise, busy). It's you and your wifes choice, and other peoples opinion doesn't matter at the end of the day. They are not living with you so why should they care where someone else wants to live.

I think you might find Deepwater bay a little expensive but others who live in that area may correct me. You will probably also need a car living that far away from work and that will be an added expense.

My advice is wait until you get to HKG before you make your mind up. You'll be in the hotel for up to 6 months if you want and although initially you'll be busy with conversion training, once you've commenced line training (after 4 weeks or so), you'll have heaps of spare time to go out and look in some real estate agents windows.

Also if you have a dog, go and look at the Gold Coast. They have quite big apartments and plenty of room.

Good luck

Mr. Bloggs
7th Jan 2007, 01:58
Dear Pointy End:

First of all, the people in Discovery Bay will want to know what your WIFE looks like? Can you post a picture?

I hear of Pilots in Discovery Bay like to hop in the sack with with your best friends Wife while you are away.

Seems a bit incestuous over there.

I be careful of the dog to.

:E

dragon501
8th Jan 2007, 00:07
MWAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAAH (it's so true though....)

Truckmasters
10th Jan 2007, 14:19
Try
http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/home.asp

However whilst the Hong kong web links (till end of Jan at least) are running slow you may have difficulty accesing this from overseas.

If you are just wife, no kids and dog you'll easily get a nice place for 24 in DB. But that's just my opinion.

N1 Vibes
13th Jan 2007, 03:10
IMHO Gold Coast does have good sized apartments, but as they were 'thrown-up' in the '97 property gold rush the quality is sh:mad:te

DB as others have so eloquently put it is very, very Stepford Wives. As for 'quiet' compared to the city. Imagine sitting in the DB Plaza having a 'quiet beer' while 2,000 screaming kid's and 'perfect' mum's trying to video them with their mobile phone fight for the best spot while the kid's do double back flips on their heelies.

Nice? :yuk:

superfrozo
13th Jan 2007, 04:08
G'day PontyEnd,

feel I must add my 2cents worth here - I'm a DBer and I find it an ideal place for my young family AND myself. What you have to realise is that DB is the place that Cathay people love to hate!. (In fact, DB bashing is one of the most popular pastimes that the idle majority of Cathay expats love to partake in).

Common terms like "The Truman Show" & "Stepford wives" are often bandied about - my guess is the majority of criticism comes from those who have never lived there, and the remainder comes from people who HAVE lived there but are "glass is half empty" types. :ok:

Sure, DB is NOT HK, but it is a nice compromise and provides a smooth transition to expat life in HK. Whilst I applaude those who go straight into Happy Valley/TST/Midlevels and immerse themselves in "HK proper", I could not fathom that with 3 kids under 5! My kids need plenty of (flat) green space, a safe environment with no/minimal traffic & somewhere where we don't have to rely on a car for daily life. DB fits the bill perfectly. Most importantly you have to remember that the family will be spending most of the time there, not you. Sure, you can sit in the plaza all day and whinge at the "B-scale bar", OR, you can whack the kids in the backpack, put on your boots and tramp to Mui Wo, take a ferry to HK, etc... etc...
In short, DB can be a great place for a young family and to echo the sentiments of a previous poster, make sure you spend a few days checking out places various to see for yourself.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed info.

Cheers.

PS. there is ONE major drawback to DB. I have been here a while now & NOT ONE person has offered to swap their wife with mine..! MInd you, I don't blame them, my missus has a head like a deep sea racing lobster:}

N1 Vibes
13th Jan 2007, 05:08
G'day PontyEnd,
.....I'm a DBer.......I have been here a while now

superfrozo PPRUNE Location: Oz :O

superfrozo
13th Jan 2007, 05:36
N1 Vibes - well spotted, the gig is up!

Profile updated accordingly. Now will someone PLEASE swap their wife with mine.

Oh, and Pointy End - did I mention the prevalence of pedantry in HK (& DB)..!!!!:E

Obscurum per obscurius
13th Jan 2007, 13:49
Superfrozo, the post of the year (well it's only the 13th of Jan) but that just about sums DB (and those who love to hate it) up!

xsbank
13th Jan 2007, 18:33
Superfrozo, thanks Bozo, I shot Guinness out of my nose and I had to change my shirt. Lobster, indeed.