PDA

View Full Version : AIP's to JEPP's

disco_air
6th Jan 2007, 04:14
Recently made the switch/jump/leap from AIP's to Jeppesen Airway Manual.

Still finding it difficult in parts to find the equivalent things in the latter. Is there any method, cheat sheet or conversion index that would assist in getting used to the new manuals?

Cheers all,

...disco :ok:

podbreak
6th Jan 2007, 05:18
There are things you won't find in Jepps, because its more concise. If you are using it for IRTs etc all the info you really need will be in the jepps. I kept a copy of the AIPs (albeit out of date) just to reference the things that can't be found in the Jepps.

Defenestrator
6th Jan 2007, 11:01
DA,
Firstly a good decision to make the change to Jep. A far superior document.
There is a small reference manual that used to be available that lists the exact location of information in the Jep. I've scoured the net for it and can't find it but it is out there somewhere. I'll keep looking for you. It's very helpful when first converting. I think it may even be allowed in the ATPL exams but not sure of that.
As far as finding your way around the Jep I'll pass on the advice that was given to me. READ IT. It's all there and after a couple of peruses you'll be able to ball park your way to the info. You'll quickly find there are sections that you'll never open and others that you're in all the time. It's not really that different to when you first laid eyes on the AIP etc.
And a word of caution. Be careful not to misinterpret or skim over the information. It's very concise mostly and is easy to read straight past the stuff that will answer your query. And look after the charts. They're pretty flimsy. Be careful when unfolding and folding. Oh, nearly forgot. If you got the non-leather binders DO NOT leave them in the sun. They'll warp and prove a major pain in the arse. And on binder care, always open using the open/shut clasp on the end. Reduces stress on the binding bits and ensures they will always fully close. Trust me on this one.
I'm sure others will add to this but in the meantime......enjoy!
D:ok:

**Send a PM to hughjarse. He has the very thing you are looking for.

ContactMeNow
6th Jan 2007, 11:18
Recently made the switch/jump/leap from AIP's to Jeppesen Airway Manual.

Still finding it difficult in parts to find the equivalent things in the latter. Is there any method, cheat sheet or conversion index that would assist in getting used to the new manuals?

Cheers all,

...disco :ok:

"Read them atleast once every 3 months, I know I do...makes for some good reading"

Guess who :}

disco_air
6th Jan 2007, 12:03
CMN mate thats a gem. :D

Cheers defenestrator for the help :ok: Im sure many others reading this will benefit as well. Anyone else with more tips keep it coming :ok:

...disco

triadic
6th Jan 2007, 14:25
Yes, a good move, but you need to know the pitfalls.

The main one is that Jepps do NOT provide the equivalent to AIP SUPS or AICs. To continue to get that info you need to subscribe to ASA for same.

If you visit a good pilot shop there is a small book that one of the major theory training organisations publishes with a cross ref of sections and para's for both AIP and Jepps. Worth it.
Whilst you are there have a look at the accessories that are available for the charts etc. Small plastic covers for the charts you use on a regular basis is a must and you will find the index inserts handy.

And the bad news is that as you get older you will have to keep your specs up to speed.

Icarus2001
7th Jan 2007, 02:59
There are things you won't find in Jepps, because its more concise For example?

AerocatS2A
7th Jan 2007, 03:45
Yes, a good move, but you need to know the pitfalls.
The main one is that Jepps do NOT provide the equivalent to AIP SUPS or AICs. To continue to get that info you need to subscribe to ASA for same.

Or you can get them for free from the Airservices website. Also, the more important ones are normally NOTAMed as well.