PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical concerns

Katherine Alexandra
5th Jan 2007, 20:10
Got mine in Feb, and, as with everything, have so many concerns.

I am assuming they're just silly but maybe someone can tell me!? This did hardly constitute a new topic, but I guess it's the
With BMI, what levels do they accept up to? Mine is 24 (I think) but do they accept 26-ish in young females? More for interest than anything!

Also, eyesight; think mine's OK (6/18 unaided in both eyes (?), Sphere -2 both eyes, Cylinder -0.75 R and -1.00 L, Axis 90 R and 80 L) but you never know.

And, most importantly, any ideas on how to calm down pre-medical?!

Thanks,

Katy

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Jan 2007, 20:44
BMI no worries for the medical but from a health point of view, slip beyond 25 and you are now overweight!

Eyes; take it that is similar to last medical so again no worries. You can check exact standards on the CAA website. Horse's mouth and all that!

Very few people fail their renewal medicals!

Katherine Alexandra
7th Jan 2007, 09:58
Hi there,

Thanks for your advice; although this is technically my second medical, it is my initial class one...!

Katy

mustflywillfly
29th Jan 2007, 10:54
All,

Help!!

Simple question:

My Class 1 Expired on 23/08/2002, can I get a renewal done at a local AME as long as it is before 23/08/2007 OR do I need an initial again?

Can I get an answer which everyone agrees with, is there info in LASORS or on the CAA website, did the girl I spoke to at the CAA know the answer ....NO to all!!

Please does somebody know the answer. Is it that difficult??? :ugh: Agggghhhhhhh...

Thanks
MFWF

world
29th Jan 2007, 11:01
BMI no worries for the medical but from a health point of view, slip beyond 25 and you are now overweight!

Whats 25 in kg :confused:

2close
29th Jan 2007, 11:52
Mustflywillfly,

Class 1 renewal within 5 years is a bog standard renewal with your AME.

5 - 10 years is an Extended Class 1 at the CAA AMC.

> 10 years is an Initial Class 1 all over again.

So best move on and get it done.

HTH

2close

mustflywillfly
29th Jan 2007, 12:53
2Close,

Many thanks. It does help. Where did you get this info as I can't find anything "official" anywhere!

Cheers

MFWF

2close
29th Jan 2007, 13:33
From the CAA AMC, when I was last down there in November last year.

I'll drop my inside contact an e-mail and confirm it but it may take a few days for a response.

2close
29th Jan 2007, 15:40
MFWF,

Wow, what service!! Hot off the press from the CAA AMC.

Confirmed as stated above plus the effective time period commences from medical expiry date not issue date.

2close

likair
29th Jan 2007, 16:14
Can anyone shed some light for me?

Today I went to do a first class medical test. I have a second class medical test which I did for my NPPL license that I'm still doing.

When filling the application form, the doc told me that he can't issue me a 1st Class Med. test. This is beacuse one has to be already a pro. pilot with ATPL. :ooh:

Any help?

Thanks

mustflywillfly
29th Jan 2007, 18:12
MFWF,

Wow, what service!! Hot off the press from the CAA AMC.

Confirmed as stated above plus the effective time period commences from medical expiry date not issue date.

2close

2close, many thanks for your help. That's saved me a few quid! MFWF:ok:

rusty_y2k2
29th Jan 2007, 20:28
When filling the application form, the doc told me that he can't issue me a 1st Class Med. test. This is beacuse one has to be already a pro. pilot with ATPL. :ooh:

Any help?

Thanks

How can you be a professional pilot with an ATPL without a class 1 medical? Chicken and egg situation there....

I'm not sure how it works to be honest, but I know that every single person on the CTC wings course here has to have a Class 1 medical before being properly accepted onto the course - myself included - none of whom are professional pilots yet, nor do they have an ATPL.

Leon H
29th Jan 2007, 23:06
Hi Katy,

I can understand how nervous you feel. Its always a good idea to allow plenty of time to get there. Nothing worse than rushing in late or worrying if the car is parked okay or similar.

Arrive in good time and just sit and relax, promise yourself a treat afterwards.

seems to work for me.

Good luck,

Leon H.

2close
30th Jan 2007, 11:59
likair,

As stated above, you can't hold a professional licence without a Class 1 medical; in fact, you need one to even apply for the licence and you won't find many training organisations that will consider starting your training until you have the medical.

Where are you? Your location says Malta but you talk of the NPPL, which I thought was uniquely UK at the moment but I may be wrong.

2close

likair
30th Jan 2007, 16:47
2 close and rusty_y2k2 thanks a lot for your replies.

Yes both of you are correct. In fact I was astonished when discussing it with him.

So to be more precise, the doc told me that one has to, firstly do the 2nd class med. test and than after gaining a professional license one can apply for a 1st class med. Cause basically the tests are very similar.... (his view) :ooh:

So I wanted to make it more clear ...

Regarding the NPPL. No, this license is also done in Malta (sunny weather :E ) which I'm doing at the moment. I have in mind to continue further training thats why I need a !st Class Medical Test.

Thanks a lot

Baron Von Mildred
30th Jan 2007, 22:19
I got my initial class 1 (pre JAR) before I even learnt to fly.

Thomas coupling
30th Jan 2007, 22:59
BMI is going to be replaced by the midrif measurement. A lot of practitioners are losing faith in the BMI chart because of enormous irregularities in its accuracy. The waist measurement (half way between the bottom of rib cage and hip bone actually) is far more accurate in warning the doctor of impending issues with the heart and circulatory system. (>37" by the way)

Talk to your AME about your "white Coat Syndrome" (fear of medicals/doctors tests). They have all been trained to recognise it and take it into consideration. For instance they (should) chat to you to assess your behaviour. If they sense anxiety/irritation etc they will expect higher than normal BP for instance or a different ECG print out. They have seen it all before.
I suffer enormously from it and the longer the wait in the waiting room the worse I get! I have had a frank and honest chat about it to the doc and he and I both know that future visits will prepare for this change in 'arousal state'.

rusty_y2k2
31st Jan 2007, 02:42
I can tell you that over in the UK I had my class 1 without ever having done a class 2. I have now done a rather suprisingly rigorous class 2 out here in New Zealand though, but that was after having done my class one and I'm still not entirely sure why we have to do it... did I hear you whisper "money making scam"?

So that's how it is in the UK - I would suggest taking it up with the CAA to get the official line. It would seem to me that his take on the Class 2 first is incorrect, because that still wouldn't allow you to apply for a professional licence... It all sounds rather odd to me.

A lot of practitioners are losing faith in the BMI chart because of enormous irregularities in its accuracy.

Tell me about it - the cheeky computer classed me as overweight (25.2), much to the amusement of the doctor, as I am a bit of a gym monkey. The system is incapable of differentiating between different builds and muscle mass vs bodyfat. It would seem wiser to me to start using a bodyfat percentage analysis (be it fancy whizzy electrical resistance or good old fashioned calipers)...

BigAl's
2nd Feb 2007, 19:08
Please tell me I wasn't the only one that read BMI and thought everyone was talking about that well known carrier! :E

... anyway, to more serious matters!

I booked my class 1 med this week, and have now received the conf. letter from CAA HQ. In the docs, there is a brief rundown of what to expect. Now, under the eye test part it says, (quote) "As part of the eye examination, drops may be used to blur the vission. Although this should improve prior to your departure, you must not drive for 12 hours following this in the interest of safety"

This is a bit of a bummer, as I was planning to depart in fashion rather similar to that in which I intended to arrived - In my car. :ugh:

So the q is, what are the chances of them doing this blury blury thing, and will I have to con my old man into driving me to Gatters, sitting in the car for a few hours, then driving a bleary eyed me home? :bored:

Probably a silly question, but hey, you've got to be good at something. Thanks in advance! :ok:

Big Al (or 'BMI Al' depending on how you look at it)

MIKECR
5th Feb 2007, 19:37
Unless you admit to laser eye surgery then I doubt very much they'll be squirting anything in your eye! I did my class 1 last September and it was a straight forward eyesight/colour blindness test. They did the eyeball pressure test by blowing air into the eye but that was as scary as it got.

BigAl's
5th Feb 2007, 19:45
Excellent, thanks v much for the reply! :ok:

MIKECR
5th Feb 2007, 20:08
Your welcome! One of the guys on my ATPL course had the old squirt in the eye stuff. They suspected he'd had laser eye surgery but in fact he hadnt. That was the only reason it was done. The eyesight test is straight forward, nothing to worry about. You look like a complete **** with the 'mad scientist' glasses/lenses on but its all harmless.