PDA

View Full Version : Regional Airline Pilot

Metro man
5th Jan 2007, 00:25
This is American but should seem familiar to GA pilots trying to move up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayMaswju1A

podbreak
5th Jan 2007, 05:27
wow, 1900 drivers earning the same as CRJ, whats the world coming to! Supply and demand, and in the states there ain't a short supply of pilots of late...

heywatchthis
5th Jan 2007, 14:19
Who ever made that did a great job!! Its sad here in the USA that people will actually work for so little. On the other side you can get a job flying a CRJ or an EMB with 600 hours total and 50 multi. I have a number of mates working for regionals here in the USA and while the first year is tough 2nd year pay is almost double. (in the mid 30's)
I just hope the Aussie regionals dont catch wind of this and decide to do the same thing!!
Always amazes me that as the years go by, salaries are decreasing instead of increasing??????
It makes about as much sense as starting your career in a 747, and hoping one day you will be able to upgrade to a Cessna 172!!!!!

busdriver007
5th Jan 2007, 19:40
According to a national wage survey for 2003-04 pilot's salaries rose 15.6% in the States putting them on top of the pile as far as increases were concerned. Mind you they did take a hit around the end of 2001. Supply and Demand.:)

redsnail
5th Jan 2007, 22:53
One of the biggest killers of wages are seniority lists that are fixed in stone.

Why would a captain risk shifting jobs if he/she would lose money by becoming an FO again? Now, if a command job in company X was paying significantly higher than what he/she's earning now AND can retain command why wouldn't he/she jump? If the company they were working for knew that their captains were thinking about moving (seriously) then their wages would be increased to keep them.

A simplistic view (after a few vinos can you excuse me?) but if companies in Australia knew that their captains and senior FOs could shift without significant penalties then wages would either stay the same or increase to attract crew.

In Europe, there are "seniority" lists but most are based on appropriate hours and sim scores. This enables those who've recently joined the company with X thousand of hours aren't sitting behind newly minted pilots with the "right seniority" number idly waiting their turn and losing incentive.

neville_nobody
6th Jan 2007, 01:09
Yeah the wages might be low, however you don't have to spend 4 years + in GA flying 30 year old bugsmashers, sweeping hanger floors, sucking up to the boss etc etc

You get a small amount of experience then you are off to an airline of some description and the wages will go up over time. Whilst it's not fantastic and you won't be living like a king at least it is an airline and you are flying something decent and the bags, the fuel and pax are all tkaen care of.

Redsnail your theory works in a large market with a high number of operators however if you introduced it in Australia I think it would have the opposite effect. With only 3 players in the airline game I think you'd find that people would end up under bidding people "just to get a job".

Think of the number of Australians working in major foreign airlines who would be happy to come back to Australia and get DE commands at QF?? It would be a bloodbath!!

tinpis
6th Jan 2007, 01:31
Meanwhile back in the real world 75000 jobs in the mining industry in the next few years
HaulPak endorsements paid for by the company command in a few weeks $100k plus fly in fly out poke ****e at the commuter pilots :hmm:

http://www.murdoch.edu.au/ciee/pages/Fall2002%20-%20NW%20Trip/HaulPak.JPG

Green gorilla
6th Jan 2007, 02:30
It is not the critic who counts not the man who points out where the
strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them
better the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena whose
face is mared with dust and sweat and blood.
At best he knows the triumph of high achievment if he fails at least he
fails while daring greatly so that his place will never be with those cold
timid souls who knew neither victory or defeat.:ok: