PDA

View Full Version : Police / HEMS?

Seymour Belvoir
4th Jan 2007, 19:12
I am a current RAF pilot who is thinking of leaving. I will have 2,000 hrs and an ATPL(H) in my back pocket and I am interested in finding out more about flying for the Police or Air Ambulance.
Any information on the following would be appreciated:
Shift patterns.
Recruitment procedure and length of contracts.
How long do you have to 'float' for before getting a permanent position.
Pay & allowences.
Thanks for your help,
SB :hmm:

cyclic
4th Jan 2007, 19:18
You won't have to float at the moment. Speak to the major providers directly and I'm sure they will tell you everything you need to know. There are plenty of opportunities and they will only be to pleased to speak.

MamaPut
4th Jan 2007, 20:57
SB,
It might seem like a silly suggestion, but why not try Africa? Bristow are desperate for people at present and pay amd allowances are good (as they need to be because of the risks involved - though, if you ever got to NI/Falklands/GW it would be as nothing! :} ). They're offering 6/6 or 8/4 touring rotations (good for avoiding UK tax liability :) ) and you'd fly around 80 - 100 hours a month, so good for hours building. It's not too long away from your family if you have children and all the time off is completely free, which is great. With your hours, you probably wouldn't qualify for a command on most oil company contracts, but Bristow now employ some expat SFOs, you'd get valuable offshore and IFR time and soon have enough hours to meet the oil company requirements. You'd also get a Bell 412, EC155 or S76 conversion which may be useful down the road. Although Bristow is an American company nowadays, it still has an office in Redhill which does a lot of the administration for Nigeria and the 2 ops managers in Nigeria are both currently Brits. If you want to know more PM me

MightyGem
4th Jan 2007, 23:41
Seymour, check your PMs.

MarkFour
5th Jan 2007, 10:59
Seymour,
Watching with interest, I am in a v similar position but from a FAA background. I'd be most grateful for any useful griff.
MkIV.

Bertie Thruster
5th Jan 2007, 12:03
Seymour,

You put pay and allowances at the bottom of your list. However, if cash or pension contributions are significant factors for you, you might not be happy in the UK Police/Hems world!

regards, BT

Tokunbo
5th Jan 2007, 12:19
Seymour and PF,

MamaPut is right, the pay in Nigeria is good at the moment, but it's for a good reason - the place is dangerous :suspect: . The threat of hijacking and kidnapping is very real - 2 Bristow employees were kidnapped last year and 4 hostages have now been in captivity since before Christmas. The companies are belatedly working to improve personal security and offer extra pay for the danger. If you make some good money and get plenty of flying it's worth considering, but go in to it with yur eyes wide open.

topendtorque
5th Jan 2007, 12:34
I will have 2,000 hrs and an ATPL(H) in my back pocket
SB :hmm:

Mate, have I got the job for you, just check out the current thread on Interesting times in Aussie SAR/EMS .

All you’ll need is a winch ticket in the other back pocket a couple of Big Jim torches and you’ll be set.

Oh, and floating is a requirement, from front to back of an AW139, just plainy disregard any OZ CASA Regulations which might dribble on about being tethered in somewheres.

There was a court case in Cairns Queensland involving in part, that very same issue some (16?) years ago. In light of that these latest ‘floating’ antics are very surprising.

Sunny Queensalnd, down under, you’ll do well.
Cheers tet.

tigerfish
5th Jan 2007, 12:53
Seymour,
Check out Premi Air. I think they are recruiting at the moment!
Tigerfish

tigerfish
5th Jan 2007, 13:01
Seymour,
Check out Premi Air. I think they are recruiting at the moment!
Tigerfish

flarecheckohdear
5th Jan 2007, 17:49
Pop into Benson and speak to the Police Unit.....the tea is free and you'll get all the gen.:ok:

Seymour Belvoir
5th Jan 2007, 19:09
Chaps,

Thanks for all the useful gen so far, any further info would be most welcome.

MarkIV, see you on shift somewhere soon!!

SB

jayteeto
5th Jan 2007, 22:42
SB, I will give you a call next week. Not sure what MightyGem PM'ed to you, but we work at the same unit. Feel free to 'drop in' to Woodvale anytime and get the feel of what goes on. I am a changed man!! Hardly ever drink and behave proper in public don't you know. Something to do with the pressure being off; in the civvie world, a pilot is a pilot first and errrrr a pilot second. No niffnaff and trivia, but much lower pay!! It's worth it.......

FloaterNorthWest
6th Jan 2007, 10:15
Thought the new women was the thing that changed you Jayteeto!

Happy New Year to all at Woodvale.

FNW

Droopy
6th Jan 2007, 11:10
New women? What do they put in the water at EGOW?

jayteeto
6th Jan 2007, 14:05
How to get me into trouble. Woman times ONE. Plus the doctor telling me that my stomach was shot to bits. Better now but I quite like the semi sober life.

FloaterNorthWest
8th Jan 2007, 11:26
jayteeto,

Sorry mate, typing error only meant woman in the singular.

On the flip side could have boosted your standings with the macho types on here, she'd never have seen it.

Cheers,

FNW