PDA

View Full Version : Medal Awards

SPIT
4th Jan 2007, 17:22
Hi
Being a bit of an ignorance ?? about this I thought that the VC could only be awarded for VALOUR in a Declared War. If I am wrong (again) would somebody please explain it to me as there is a small wager in the local !!! :confused: :confused:

PPRuNe Pop
4th Jan 2007, 17:36
Don't know about an actual declaration of war but it is the UK's highest award for bravery (valour) by a military person in the presence of the enemy.

Simple but true.

cooheed
4th Jan 2007, 17:53
War was not declared by either side during the Falklands Conflict, yet 2 were awarded for acts of valour in the face of the enemy. Seems crystal to me.

Farmer 1
4th Jan 2007, 18:05
The Victoria Cross (VC) is the highest recognition for valour "in the face of the enemy" that can be awarded to members of the British and Commonwealth armed forces of any rank in any service, and civilians under military command. It is also the highest military award in the British honours system.(Wikipedia)
No mention of the declared war bit, though. Definitely for valour, though. At least, that's what it says on the medal.

Mystic Greg
4th Jan 2007, 19:46
And the award is not restricted to military personnel - VCs can be (and have been) awarded to civilians for valour in the face of the enemy.

airborne_artist
4th Jan 2007, 19:58
in a Declared War

I suspect that a declared war went out with gents wearing bowler hats to work in the City etc. A wonderful relic of the days of chivalry, but not quite Noo Liabour PC I feel. These days it's all based around UN resolution XXX

FOMere2eternity
4th Jan 2007, 20:15
These days it's all based around UN resolution XXX

Or spirit of a previous UN resolution if you can't quite get one to go along with your predetermined plan...

fantom
4th Jan 2007, 20:24
Hi
Being a bit of an ignorance ?? about this I thought that the VC could only be awarded for VALOUR in a Declared War. If I am wrong (again) would somebody please explain it to me as there is a small wager in the local !!! :confused: :confused:
Go and have another beer.

day1-week1
4th Jan 2007, 20:28
It doesn't have to be a declared war but it does have to be 'in the face of the enemy'. Recently in afgan a para cpl was awarded the VC (pos) for storming a taliban MG postion. Another guy was killed when he rescued his section from a minefield and was killed in the process. He was awarded the GC (pos). Whilst by all accounts he displayed the utmost bravary worthy of a VC in his actions, as his act was not 'in the face of the enemy' and therefore didn't meet the criteria for the VC. I think there have been a few similar incidents in Iraq in the last few years.

Clockwork Mouse
4th Jan 2007, 21:30
A state of war exists when the armed forces of two countries engage intentionally in warlike acts against each other. Doesn't have to be formally declared. Hitler never declared war on anyone, just went in. We Brits, of course, did it properly and officially after giving him an ultimatum. The Japs actually intended to declare war on the US before Pearl Harbour but their embassy cocked up the timing.
There were Brit VCs in the Indonesian confrontation and Aussie ones in Vietnam.

Archimedes
4th Jan 2007, 21:52
VCs were awarded during several colonial policing campaigns as well - and if the declared war criteria existed, we'd have had to have (in effect) declared war on ourselves for the VC awards to be permissible.

There was one VC in the Indonesian Confrontation, awarded to Rambahadur Limbu.

SPIT
4th Jan 2007, 22:06
Hi
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY'S GENTS, all is a LOT CLEARER NOW but it cost me some beers but it cost some of the BRAVE HOLDERS a LOT MORE that a few beers:ok: :ok: :ok:
All the BEST
SPIT:

Aynayda Pizaqvick
4th Jan 2007, 22:23
Hi
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY'S GENTS, all is a LOT CLEARER NOW but it cost me some beers but it cost some of the BRAVE HOLDERS a LOT MORE that a few beers:ok: :ok: :ok:
All the BEST
SPIT:
And apparently you also helped them drink some as well:ok: