PDA

View Full Version : Flight engineer

pol01
4th Jan 2007, 11:58
Hello,

Iam looking for some information about the requirements to apply for a job as Flight Engineer. I looked on the website of my governement but didn't find anything specific. Someone told me you only need to pass the ATPL theoretic exams...
Does anybody have some more information about this topic?

Thx

Flying Torquewrench
4th Jan 2007, 18:50
Pol01,

you might be better of asking this question in the Engineers & Technicians section of Pprune.

Unfortunately i can't tell you the requirements to become a flight Engineer. However once upon a time i played with the same idea and after doing some research decided against it. Biggest reason for voting against it is that there are not an awfull lot of flight engineers around anymore and their number is decreasing. If you choose to go ahead with it than be prepared that the chances of finding a job in europe are very small. I think you can forget about the States also (greencard etc.) So you are looking at a job in Africa or the Far East.

I havent answered your question but hopefully it helps a little bit.

Flying Torquewrench

pol01
4th Jan 2007, 19:15
He Flying Torquewrench,

Thx for the reply, i'll try to get some more information in the engineers section.

Techman
4th Jan 2007, 19:46
Someone might have told you that you only need to pass the ATPL theoretic exams...But there is more to it than that. Much more.

As you are in Europe have a look at JAR-FCL 4 which covers Flight Engineers.

JAR-FCL 4.160 Theoretical and practical
knowledge and skill
(See Appendix 1, 2 and 3 to
JAR-FCL 4.160)

An applicant for a F/EL shall:

(a) (1) hold a theoretical ATP(A) in
accordance with JAR-FCL 1.285; or

(2) have passed an ICAO ATP(A)
theory test, including RT privileges or hold a
R/T certificate/licence, in the JAA Member
State of licence issue;

(b) (1) have completed an approved
technical training course of the maintenance of
JAR 25/FAR 25, BCAR, or AIR 2051
aeroplanes as in Appendix 1 to JAR FCL 4.160;
or

(2) have a university level of education
in aeronautical engineering and have practical
experience acceptable to the Authority in the
maintenance of JAR 25/FAR 25, BCAR, or AIR
2051 aeroplanes; or

(3) hold an Aircraft Maintenance
Licence class B1/B2/C according to JAR 66 or
equivalent national licence/approval.

(c) have completed a "flight appreciation
course" (see Appendix 2 to JAR-FCL 4.160);

(d) have demonstrated the ability to use the
English language as set out in Appendix 3 to JAR
FCL 4.160.

The Technical Training Course (TTC) mentioned under (b)(1) consists of 100 hours theoretical instruction in the following subjects :

Airframe and Systems
Electrics
Powerplant and Emergency Equipment
Flight Instruments and Automatic Flight Control Systems

After that, there is 30 days of practical training to be done together with experienced maintenance staff.

There is also a MCC course that have to be passed. And the Flight Appreciation Course.

Then there is the type rating course. Ground courses followed by simulator training and line training. Which is a minimum of 100 hours.

These are the minimum requirements.

So just to start the training you need either a CPL with a fATPL, a University degree or an Aircraft Maintenance Licence.

The easiest and quickest way is to get a Pilot's licence first.

pol01
4th Jan 2007, 21:25
Techman, Thx for the info!
I'am holding a theoretical ATP(A) and worked as an aircraft engineer for a couple of years where I received the technical training course of maintenance as mentioned in JAR-FCL 4.

Do you have any idea that Airlines still provides further training to become Flight Engineer to people who have the JAR-FCL requirements but not yet obtained a valid F/E License and type rating?