PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Romania

countbat
3rd Jan 2007, 13:08
Having FAA license with few type rating including B737 is any chance to get hired in a counry such as Romania? Looking to relocate to Europe and maybe to retire sometime in the future in one of this new additions to EU. Checked on internet and it seems to be a charmy place?

embrunman
3rd Jan 2007, 13:42
Romania is a full JAA member,
So an FAA licence is just worth nothing:{

Mexis
3rd Jan 2007, 15:15
Hello,

Does anybody have some information about TAROM?
I looked everywhere on their website, but haven't found anything regarding recruitment? I sent my application to the contact in charge of charter but don't know if my CV will go to the right person...
Also, do they hire non romanian-speaking pilots?

Thanks for your help.

Best Wishes

Vincent
www.geocities.com/vincent.mexis (http://www.geocities.com/vincent.mexis)

countbat
3rd Jan 2007, 19:34
Also a JAA license in USA, but that doesn't stop many EU pilots to come here and get jobs. At the company I work for we have pilots from all over the world. Should I cry out with them?
My question was how to get a flying job in a country such as Romania? OK!...I understand they don't use FAA license. How to get a JAA license? If I get a JAA license will a flying job will be available for someone like me?
And IF NOT why everybody can get jobs in USA and americans can not get jobs in EU?

Lemper
3rd Jan 2007, 19:51
You will be welcome to work in Romania! They need pilots as much as anywhere else in the EU.
However, just like anybody who wants to fly in the US needs first to have a FAA licence, anybody who wants to fly in the EU needs a JAA licence.
No big deal really. Just a few exams, a few checks, just like in the States.
Also, to work in the US one needs, if one is not a citizen, to hold a green card, i.e. the right to work there. Same in EU. Well, it is not called "green card" but "work permit", and it is obtained the same way. A bit costly but quite feasible. Romania will, I think, be easier to get in since it has joined the EU and Romanian pilots now have the right to work elsewhere in the EU, and anywhere in the EU are they going to make more money than in Romania.
Down to you and good luck.
L

Fat Clemenza
3rd Jan 2007, 20:04
Sorry to sound a bit harsh

No foreigner can get jobs in the US, especially when it comes to jobs in aviation and especially Pilot positions. The US has a tough policy on foreign workers and I think it is fair for the EU to protect its labor market especially in this fragile and cyclical industry.

Getting a JAA license won't help if u're not legal to work in the EU and to be honnest with you, there are enough pilots looking for jobs and too many won't make it to their dream job...look at the wannabee section and you'll see how difficult it is. My advice to you is stick with your FAA license, build time and even if it takes longer, you still have many possibilities to work as a Pilot!

embrunman
4th Jan 2007, 00:08
Also a JAA license in USA, but that doesn't stop many EU pilots to come here and get jobs. At the company I work for we have pilots from all over the world. Should I cry out with them?
My question was how to get a flying job in a country such as Romania? OK!...I understand they don't use FAA license. How to get a JAA license? If I get a JAA license will a flying job will be available for someone like me?
And IF NOT why everybody can get jobs in USA and americans can not get jobs in EU?

Yes, you can cry out for us:{ , pilots from all over the world who did train and spent all of our money in the US, did anykind of surviving jobs (diswashing for me) besides flight instructing US citizens, and then after 5 years of working and paying taxes could not stay in the US anymore because "your student visa has expired, sir! You have 30 days to leave the country".
So no sir! to think it's "everybody can get jobs in USA":= just shows your ignorance about the problems facing foreigners there.
To work in Romania as everywhere in Europe as in the States, you need a resident-work permit...
Plain and simple, without it, no need to even think about JAA licence.
Lemper when you say "just a few exams, a few checks, JUST LIKE IN THE STATES", is this tongue in the cheek?
Got both JAA and FAA, found a few differences:rolleyes:
...say 3 times the cost of flight instruction, 10 times the time to write all exams, 10-15? times the cost of medical, licencing fees etc....
Lemper where did you get your JAA?:confused:

countbat
4th Jan 2007, 00:39
I don't know what are you talking about my friend. You do have a lot of hate and anger. I don't work for INS to know every immigrant's case in this country. All I know is that at my company there are 150 pilots and about 45 are foreigners.
I believe you had good reasons to stay 5 years in this country. Maybe you built the flying time which got you the JAA license? And because you are so angry I assume you wanted to stay here. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
In my case I am just looking for a change, a new challenge. Blue skies and smile. Life is too short.

Dan Winterland
4th Jan 2007, 04:48
May I suggest that those foreign pilots have the right to work in the US, married to a US citizen or a green card perhaps?

Meanwhile, you won't be allowed to work in Europe (bearing in mind since the 1st of Jan Romania is now in Europe) without a work permit. And to fly in a JAR member state, you must have a JAA licence. Much like you have to have an FAA licence to work in the USA.

There seems to a shortage of qulified and experienced pilots in Europe right now. An I suspect since monday Romanian pilots are all applying for better paid jobs in Western Europe, so there may be jobs going thee. But if you have the right to work in Europe, why not chose to work where the pay is better?

Lemper
4th Jan 2007, 05:10
Plain and simple, without it, no need to even think about JAA licence.
Lemper when you say "just a few exams, a few checks, JUST LIKE IN THE STATES", is this tongue in the cheek?
Got both JAA and FAA, found a few differences:rolleyes:
...say 3 times the cost of flight instruction, 10 times the time to write all exams, 10-15? times the cost of medical, licencing fees etc....
Lemper where did you get your JAA?:confused:

Be not confused, mon ami! Did the "EU Continental ATPL in the early 70's. No college degree, no passing!
Did the FAA ATPL on a two days lay-over.
Now watch my cheek and tell me if it is not bloted.
If people want to come and try EU, for economics sake, let them come and experiment, no?

tarjet fixated
4th Jan 2007, 09:01
Countbat,
don't quite know the romanian market specifically but one thing i know for sure there is great demand for pilots in the EU area, especially if experienced.
You will need a JAA licence (some countries like Ireland give you a 1 year validation time of your national licence in order for you to get JAA papers) and you will need a work permit (again some airlines can assist you in the process).
You will need to contact the Romanian authorities for details.

Good luck with your choices.

219joochiat
4th Jan 2007, 15:44
I don't know what are you talking about my friend. You do have a lot of hate and anger. I don't work for INS to know every immigrant's case in this country. All I know is that at my company there are 150 pilots and about 45 are foreigners.
I believe you had good reasons to stay 5 years in this country. Maybe you built the flying time which got you the JAA license? And because you are so angry I assume you wanted to stay here. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
In my case I am just looking for a change, a new challenge. Blue skies and smile. Life is too short.

You're right Countbat, you don't know what you're talking about...
There's a major difference between writing "why everybody can get jobs in USA" and "150 pilots, 45 are foreigners"...
reading your post was like you Americans were discriminated in Europe and foreigners were all welcome to the US...believe me that's far from truth...
And I understand Embrunman's reaction reading if he had to deal with INS for 5 years.
Plus when you said "Romania...a charming place"...what did you smoke??
That's the poorest country of the EU, with very little in terms of infrastructre, health or social programs.
You are from the biggest country in aviation and are trying Romania to land a pilot job???:confused:

neil armstrong
4th Jan 2007, 16:44
maybe he is escaping his past or ex wife?
to bad that as an American you have to pay tax now even if you dont live in yr country!!

Neil

alexban
4th Jan 2007, 17:41
219: ever been in Romania? I suggest you spend a holliday checking the mountains,the Danube Delta and all the rest.You may change your view.
Indeed ,there may be some job oportunities in romania,but the pay is low,compared to most other EU countries.It may be good for a low houred guy,to come learn and build some flight time.The life cost is ok,with low rents,but high food,tax and fuel prices.Most prices are the same like in any western EU countries.
P Fogg: the romanian CAA is a full JAA member,and it follows JAA by the book.If there is something they don't know,they'll ask approval from the JAA boards.Indeed,it seems they will easier tend to reply NO ,just to avoid any complication. In your friend's case,you said that he had a restricted license.That says all.If you issue a document and place a restriction on it why should I,your coleague ,remove it?The one that placed the restriction should remove it,I think.
About Tarom. Well,they have no foreign pilot yet.One condition for employment is the language-a must.You should be able to speak romanian.The same applies with other EU flag carriers,i.e Lot,CSA...
The planes are ok,mostly new (oldest are the 737-300',soon to be phased out,I think),well maintained by Tarom's own technical base.Good training,and a lot of good ,experienced pilots to fly with.Most flights are in Europe now,with some in middle east,also.
The pay is not high,though constantly increasing over the years.I suspect there won't be many pilots leaving soon,as someone suggested.Most accept the lower salary to be able to work near home.
Other company who looks for pilots is Blue Air,a 737 low cost operator.They have some old 737,and it may be a place for a low time pilot.They also do 737 type rating,with Alteon,I guess.They are based in BSA, Bucharest.
Other established operator is Carpatair,based in Timisoara.Operates a fleet of Saab 340,2000 and also Foker100.They had some foreign FO's,I think.
It's a good market,and soon I think other operators will establish bases in romania,one I've heard off is WizzAir in Bucharest.Also Ryanair discussed about operation here.Romania is the eastern border of europe ,with shorter flights to middle east,it may be an interesting hub.

robmac
4th Jan 2007, 18:19
If Neil Armstrong is right and you are on the run....and looking for a new adventure. Try Slovakia. I know one ex-US mil pilot who now flies as a 737Captain with Sky Europe.

The freedom to work issue is related to EU citizens crossing EU borders. For foreigner work permit, it is all down to national requirements, and certain nations are more open to negotiation than others.

If its a JAA carrier, you will need to do the crossover, which I am told is expensive and time consuming.

Its true that pay is not so good, but if you live like a local (as all the locals do) you can get by reasonably comfortably. In Bratislava, outside the tourist centre, two large beers and a plate of steak and chips can be about 5 bucks.

219joochiat
4th Jan 2007, 18:57
[quote=alexban;3050886]219: ever been in Romania? I suggest you spend a holliday checking the mountains,the Danube Delta and all the rest.You may change your view.

Indeed, been there in 03...
so I won't change my views and enlight you a bit...
Yes, Romania can be very beautiful if you limit yourself to a couple of spots...But in that case, I've heard that between Mogadishio and Kismanyo you can find the most beautiful beaches of the world :hmm:
Is this worth thinking about landing a carreer there???
So what do you want? the postcard or the day to day reality?
Because for sure you will enjoy having a café in the heart of Little Paris, ie Lipscani district but when going home you will find on your way hundreds of street kids leaving like and with dogs for protection then YOU may change your views (and I am talking about KIDS, not teen agers here).
I have never seen such poverty in Albania or Moldova which are supposed to be even poorer than Romania.
As for the beautiful forest in the Carpathes, their trees are dying of cyanide pollution and there's tensions big time with neighbour Hungary about this pollution coming from Romania and out of control.
So yes, nice places, very educated people who will make a trip enjoyable...
That is if you can turn a blind eye to all the rest.
Remember this TV program showed in the US a couple of years ago about Romanian orphans??
Check on internet, then come back and tell me where I am wrong when I told you about poverty, lack of social services and so on....
Mountains, Danube delta won't be enough to change my opinion.:sad:

tarjet fixated
4th Jan 2007, 19:05
You should be able to speak romanian.The same applies with other EU flag carriers,i.e Lot,CSA...

Not true, english will do.

alexban
4th Jan 2007, 19:27
So,you've been in Romania at 18 yrs old and you saw all of that.It must 've been hard.Came as a tourist?
About the pollution,well,you should check the pollution quotas allowed by the EU,Romania in not so polluted as you think.And you should go to the mountains,not check it on the net:ugh:
Since 2003 there have been some changes,one can say.
By any chance,you were one of those teenagers dressed in white shirts,black tie and pants,seen for some time in romania,doing some job for one particular church..I don't know the details,but if this is the case ,I think you're views are a bit influenced.
Have you been also to Albania or Moldavia? Cause I've been,and I doubt you're saying.
Tension with the neighbour hungary,are you talking about the gold ,or uranium mine...it was controlled by the Canadians,if i'm not wrong.It is closed ,now.I don't know much about that,though.
Street kids? Yes,if you go in Ferentary,the gypsy area.But you may see the same in Paris,if you go in the northern area,Auberville,or something.Or in other big EU cities.
Dogs? Well,we killed most of them,but some were saved by foreign animal rights asociations,like B Bardot's.And after that they were released back on the streets by the same agencies.
It doesn't exist the perfect place,here or wherever.So,try to see the nice things,and improve the rest,and you'll have a full life.

tarjet: last time I've checked with the CSA the language was a must.The same applies for most german companies ,also.Also,I've been told the same by a friend of mine from LOT.So,where you say english will do?

countbat
4th Jan 2007, 21:57
Thank you for taking the time and trying to enlighten me about that place of the world.
First I would like to apologize my fellow pilots called mistakenly foreigners. I did it just to make the difference between someone born here and someone born outside US. To me everybody who put his foot in this country is an American and should be protected by the same laws like myself. I believe we have this law and until INS resolves his case he or she is considered an American and has the same rights as anybody else. Except voting.
Also since 9/11 for someone with no Green Card became harder to get a flying job. It is TSA and that could change in the future. After all we are an immigrant nation.
I had the chance to fly twice and spent some time in Romania. Ordinary people were impressive friendly and welcoming. On the same token I noticed every official from the corner traffic agent to the president of the country was a symbol of corruption, lack of any feeling for its own people, bleeding dead its own people, destroying their own country. I wonder how Romanian people can take all this?
I don’t need a job just something to do during our stay over there. I would like to fly (10000 total flying time, right now B737 Captain) while my wife ( she is the one willing to go to Romania) will be doing her charity work. It might be a long stay so if that the case I am thinking to do something out of it. That’s it.
Fly safe.

tarjet fixated
4th Jan 2007, 22:15
Alexban,
there are non czech/non polish speaking foreigners in CSA/LOT as there are non mother tongue pilots in most EU carriers apart those very few who can still afford in-house ab initio academies like LH or KL.
Limiting professional workforce on the basis of secondary languages isn't economically feasable for any company that wants to be competitive in this business; so that you know one of the above mentioned carriers has even taken on non speaking foreigners who paid their own type ratings.

As far as Romania is concerned it isn't obviously a top spot, it's a poor country with one of the lowest living standards in the european area.
This should be clearly stated when it comes to giving fair suggestions to a fellow pilot looking for relocation info here; national pride should stay out of the discussion.

alexban
5th Jan 2007, 10:15
Tarjet : check this site http://www.csa.cz/en/czechia/cz_spolecnost/pracmista_en/cz_pilot_recruitment_en.htm You will see the language requirement at point 2.
Local language is not secondary language ,my friend,it's their first language. You should know it,cause you'll interact with many people in the company,and most won't know english,it's not required for them.
The same for LOT,but you won't find on their site.I'll check with some friends,to see if it's still valid.But I guess will be,for the reason I've stated above.
PF :you made me laugh,thks. What if the person you've talked about is your friend or aquaintance,or if you defend him or not?:ugh:
You seem to think the CAA is there to maintain as many planes and people in the air? You are so far from the truth..Their reason for existance is to make sure that everyting that get's up in the air do it in accordance with the law and regulations.I know most of us don't like them for one reason or another.
What was the reason for that fellow licence restriction,in the first place?
Other JAA endoresed that fellow licence? Name one.
So,if on you're driving licence will be clearly stated 'only allowed to drive in england" ,you think that when going into france you'll automatically get a driving licence?.Dead wrong.
Pilot shortage,you say?..well,check 'number' experience with Blue Air ,in Bucharest :
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258477
You know,not all the available jobs are here in EU. I have friends flying for many years in Coreea,Japan,middle east,marroco,Pakistan..
Also,one intersting thing,you may not know,but ryanair started with romanian pilots.Also,romanian pilots were flying for years in Germany,on CRJ,or in Ireland ,flying the ATR.
I like to think that we are all friends here,and we exchange ideeas,or pertinent info's,so no reason for things like 'talking sh1t'....even if you're a 20 yrs youngster,you're not excused.:=
Brgds ,

Robert Palmer
5th Jan 2007, 10:39
"I like to think that we are all friends here,and we exchange ideeas,or pertinent info's,"

Geez, I have an ideea and some pertinent info's.

THERE IS A SPACE AFTER A COMMA,(space)your post will be much easier to read,(space)if you use correct punctuation.

Fiske
5th Jan 2007, 11:27
I've flown with Tarom pilots for a couple of years who were on secondment from the B737 fleet and working via Parc for another operator. They were all very good pilots, albeit slightly old school and had alot of experience. They all loved their home country, as most people do, but said it was much better to work abroad and reap the financial rewards.

They all said Romania was a beautiful country and invited me to visit. However they all said if I did visit to let them know and they would come and meet me as it would not be a good idea for a foreigner to be wondering around Bucharest on their own:ooh:

All these guys were complete gentlemen and perhaps it was only out of politeness they were saying this, but I doubt it as they had no such qualms about wondering around Budapest, Kosice, Bratislava, Warsaw, Krakow, Katowice etc etc.

Just a personal take on the matter!

X-Centric
5th Jan 2007, 12:03
"I like to think that we are all friends here,and we exchange ideeas,or pertinent info's,"

Geez, I have an ideea and some pertinent info's.

THERE IS A SPACE AFTER A COMMA,(space)your post will be much easier to read,(space)if you use correct punctuation.

Really quite rude, extremely pompous & totally uncalled for, Robert Palmer. How's your written Romanian? :=

tarjet fixated
5th Jan 2007, 13:57
alexban,
you seem to be a very good website reader, allow me to tell you that real life is somewhat different.
Of course i will not post any names of non czech speaking CSA pilots here but believe me that what CSA (and others) state in their websites doesn't have to be necessarily true.
When i said "secondary" language i was referring to the world of aviation where if you don't know english you cannot operate internationally as per ICAO requirements (unless of course you speak the language of every country you overfly); once again you seem to take every comment a bit too personal.Grow up.

IFORD,
you and I know very well that living in eastern Europe on a western salary,roster and benefit package is somewhat the perfect scenario especially if we are talking about Prague, Budapest or Krakov where lifestyles are almost western but still at a much lower cost.
Bucharest and Romania in general are unfortunately another story.

alexban
6th Jan 2007, 07:52
Sorry about the spelling PF, but you may know that some names are spelled diferently in other languages.I've lost my training in written english,in fact pprune is the only place I'm practising it, and , especially if tired, i tend to mess it up good.
For ex ,in my language, I spell corectly Maroc and Corea.You may see that trying to do that corectly in english I did it wrong in both languages :ugh:
Anyway ,Rober Palmer tried to correct my comma and space use, so what can I say..I'm improving...thks RP
:ok:

219joochiat
6th Jan 2007, 16:57
Maroc, Corea?
So what language is this?

Atishoo
6th Jan 2007, 17:13
WOW !!

Dont u guys fight a lot ? !! LOL :=

robmac
6th Jan 2007, 17:24
Incredible, this thread looks like a giant kindergarden, some of you people need to grow up :ugh:
Countbat, Eastern Europe is often a case of who you know not what you know ;) If you really want to go for it, turn up for a month in the summer, and go flying GA with the locals. In my East Europe GA experience, most of the airline pilots in that part of the world still enjoy their private or club flying.
A bit of flying, a few beers and who knows what will happen if you have an open mind :) As a 10000 hour 737 captain, with a great personality ? and the ability to mentor the locals, as long as your price is right, I am sure you can get a foot in the door somewhere. But don't stick to Romania, cast your net wider for a better chance of something popping up.

Good luck !!

captplaystation
7th Jan 2007, 17:52
Wow what a welcome to the new Europeans you guys offer. I have to agree with a previous poster, how good are the rest of our language skills in a foreign language guys? If you are a Brit / Yank, the answer ( probably) is somewhere between nil and piss poor, so , in the interests of unity politeness and realism perhaps you could all give some leeway to our non Queens English posters ? I visited Romania last summer and my partner reckoned it had actually gone downhill since her last visit 4 years ago, and seemed to have barely advanced since she left 11 years ago, and that, from a Romanian. We also visited Hungary, and that seemed to have undergone a fairly dramatic transformation since I last visited ten years ago. Assuming therefore that the dreaded corruption problems can be solved, Romania might be a nice place to live in 10 years time, but for the moment . . . . . hmn, I don't think just yet.

Phileas Fogg
7th Jan 2007, 23:24
I think you'll find that Romania has been in Europe for quite a long time and accordingly Romanians are not new Europeans, they'd probably be quite offended by such a suggestion that they have been somewhere else other than Europe :)

ExMedevac
8th Jan 2007, 15:17
Having FAA license with few type rating including B737 is any chance to get hired in a counry such as Romania? Looking to relocate to Europe and maybe to retire sometime in the future in one of this new additions to EU. Checked on internet and it seems to be a charmy place?

There is a chance. TAROM and Blue Air operate 737's, they might hire you. You definitely have the experience, you just have to show up at the right time and talk to the right people. You'd also have to look into the work permit issue, I don't think US citizens automatically get work permits but a lot can be done here in person.

Good luck

mikepops
5th Mar 2007, 21:08
Hi Vincent, I currentlt fly ATRs for Tarom. I know my post is somewhat late but if you are still interested contact me initially by PM. I think I can help.

Mike:ok:

ant1
5th Mar 2007, 21:29
Countbat, you may want to take a look at Licence conversion (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231486&highlight=conversion) (see posts #17&19)
and also From FAA to JAR (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266452)

Work permit is another issue

Best wishes

calypso
6th Mar 2007, 09:03
Who would have thought that under such an inocent thread title I would find such fireworks? Fun and games...

Back to the tittle though, you could always get a job with Netjets and comute from Romania. They do something like 6 on 5 off and you can be based anywhere you choose.

I hope my spelling and punctuattion is Ok, otherwise I will definetly know about it...

mikepops
6th Mar 2007, 12:51
Calypso, I know I was disapointed too. Fireworks is a nice diplomatic term, but a better description by a ppruner a while ago was "the classic teenager slanging match about who's dog has the biggest d1ck" that we keep seeing on pprune day in day out. Theese people with no lives find the excuse in most subjects discussed to pollute every thread with their sad and immature way of venting their frustrations by having a pop at someone, and what's more they behave in a primal way, like wolves that can smell blood, some join in and gang up on the victims of this abuse. It is really disappointing that this sort of aggresive immature behaviour is displayed by some of the people who work with us in this profession and who should inspire more trust. Gentlemen, if I can call you that, you are not many but your voices are always the loudest. You all know who you are and so does everyone else.

On Final
6th Mar 2007, 13:22
I spent some time in Bucharest in 2003 training pilots on the MD-80. I liked the place and thought the people were very nice. True, it is a poor developing country and I am sure things have improved since then.

If I remember correctly most pilots were seeking jobs eleswhere because of low pay there. Some may have found jobs in Instanbull.:) :)

Vciprian
13th Aug 2007, 18:04
Hi, i am a pilot at TAROM airline and I know that TAROM needs pilot for ATR, so if you are interested just let me know, maybe i can help you someway.
Good luck.

Bad Robot
14th Aug 2007, 08:34
W!ZZAIR Need crews in Bucharest also.
I can think of worse places to work.

Food and Beer are very cheap, accomodation very expensive though. Traffic congestion is something else! Locals very friendly and helpful.

BR.