PDA

View Full Version : European aviation job searches – VS – United States aviation job searches …big dilemm

temp1901
2nd Jan 2007, 12:54
Note: this is a long post but I do have information to offer...

I have a dilemma.

I am tiring of the U.S. (Only from the standpoint) that I need to explore and live among other cultures and see other viewpoints. I want my son to grow up speaking other languages instead of only knowing the American viewpoint of everything.

My dilemma is my high comfort level and stability with the U.S. market in contrast to needing to get away from what I know.

I need the help/info from all of you guys on any markets other than the U.S. and I will exchange info (contact names) on u.s. market, which is greatly improving compared to years ago!

I was recently at a location doing some recurrent training and I talked to a mid level Continental Airlines pilot and he gave me some retiring pilot numbers and some hiring pilot numbers for Continental Airlines...I was astonished and blown away at the size of turn over going on there, especially if you are already typed on 737's.

Almost all of the regionals in the U.S. are hiring and as soon as one of the major's goes away due to a stock merger then that will help (over the years) with all of the major's listing pilots on furghlough.

There is a (key point), in addition to having the flight time and the rating, to landing a job with the national airlines (ATA, Southwest, Alaska Airlines). I think that a lot of pilots miss this point.

If you can meet a line captain (which means you have to be local). Get off your high horse/ego and be humble. I mean literally ask for guidance/advise/mentorship. My point is if you aren't on the flight deck, you lack the wisdom and experience of the person you are talking to and thus you need guidance/advise/mentorship. I have asked several captains If I could buy them lunch and a few drinks over a game of pool if they would just give me some solid advice. Years ago I was really seriously conflicted about the direction to take and two captains pointed me away from the airlines towards corporate. Both of them told me that my FAA A&P would not be of importance to any airline other than just aviation experience on a resume/CV. They both made me realize that smaller corporate operators would hire me over someone else that did not have multiple skills.

My point here is, attempt to meet a person in a senior position, stop with all of the resume/CV shooting and talk to people. When you meet and talk to this senior person, tell them your situation from the humble viewpoint and ask for advice and help, because you do need it! Those of you who are worried and concerned that this looks like begging are simply too proud and have big egos.

The reality is that if someone is at a higher level of experience and stature than you...then they obviously know someone or something/experience that you do not know and I am not ashamed to ask for that knowledge. Those captains were right. I now fly a Learjet 31A, which is how I am building my turbine experience and the pilot I fly for is the chief pilot and also happens to be an accountant. We both have additional skills that are valuable in the corporate and 135 market that the U.S. airlines don't care about, again without those two captains initially steering me away from the airline track, I might have found myself struggling with pay at a commuter/regional. This worked for me and several other pilots with skills other than aviation, that I have talked to at the NBAA convention.

I now have the experience to go back to the Airlines but as I started out with this story...I am considering leaving the U.S. I would prefer to live in UK, Spain or Germany – Europe in general but open to other possibilities. Will anyone out there be willing to point me in a direction to fly 737’s? I know a few captains and chief pilots at some U.S. operations, corporate and airlines and I willing to exchange info after I get to know you guys out there. I am more of a people person so I don't just want to shoot CV's over email... I want to talk to people.

Speedbrake Lever
2nd Jan 2007, 21:10
If you're 73 rated then no prob

except for ...... your passport !!!

E.U. thats the rule !!

Otherwise its India good money

but i think you'd die from the Culture Shock

S.L.

acebaxter
3rd Jan 2007, 08:10
Interesting proposition leaving the US. I did it in late 2006, partly for the adventure and partly because my job in the states was going to take a rapid turn for the worse. It has its good and bad points as does everything. As you said, to see the world from a viewpoint other than the US does open your eyes to a few things. I enjoy the people I work with and the company I work for. As with all companies I would change a few things if I owned it, but I don't so I'll play by their rules.

In the long run I do want to return to the States. That's another thing your eyes are opened to. The United States is a very unique country and I miss a lot about it. Which brings up another point. I won't return to the company I left in the States and starting over at another airline is out of the question. So, how did you like the corporate life? Most jobs for Captains that I see require a type rating and at least 500 pic on type. Is that the rule in the industry or just a negotiating point?

Anyway, if you have any specific questions please PM me. I never have been fond of conversations on anonymous message boards.

Almost forgot, you don't say what your experience is or what ratings you have so I don't know if it will suit you but take a look at hawaiiaviation.com. They have a lot of jobs available, mostly in Japan, and if you meet the requirments they will type you on the equipment. Also, google something like contract pilot jobs. You'll quickly see there are a lot of jobs out there if you are willing to crawl out of that safe little cocoon called home.

Lemper
3rd Jan 2007, 11:18
"One can take the monkey out of the jungle, but one can't take the jungle out of the monkey"
I know this is usually used in a derogative way, but it is really not my intention to be derogative in using this quotation.
Been there, done that, and I'm back in my coccoon with a sixty percent paycut, and happy about it.
There no place like home.