PDA

View Full Version : Float Planes

Total Drag
2nd Jan 2007, 08:42
G'day All,

For sometime I've been considering getting another sticker/stamp in the log book and doing a float endorsement. So I'm wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the float industry in OZ and how the job market has been recently?
Any info regarding operators and good companies for doing endorsements would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,
TD

disco_air
2nd Jan 2007, 11:08
Look up Bill Lane, think he's still in Port Stephens?

Or if you have a bit of cash to spend, go do some "beaver time" with Seawing Airways in Sydney :ok: Beautiful aeroplane, thorough endorsement.

...disco

the wizard of auz
2nd Jan 2007, 11:33
I think from memory, Bill was selling up and the seawings option was reeeeeeeeeally expensive when I enquired. :}

VikNZ
2nd Jan 2007, 22:14
Hey,

Thinking miles ahead at this stage but just wondering if anyone has any NZ info re: float plane ratings.. particularly whether anyone in the North Island does float plane endorsements? Have only been able to find info re: Southern Wings in my search so far, can't seem to find anyone else in either the North or South Island.

Thanks,
V.

Apgrau
3rd Jan 2007, 02:00
Did mine in Melbourne with Melbourne Seaplanes, great experience!
If you want to follow it up as a career, not just get a sticker in the logbook it might be worth looking up these guys and give them a call, http://www.akunaseaplanes.com.au
Have fun!

Apgrau.

kiwi_hockey_guy
3rd Jan 2007, 02:49
Hey,

Thinking miles ahead at this stage but just wondering if anyone has any NZ info re: float plane ratings.. particularly whether anyone in the North Island does float plane endorsements? Have only been able to find info re: Southern Wings in my search so far, can't seem to find anyone else in either the North or South Island.

Thanks,
V.

I think a place in rotorua does it, not to sure of the name though...

The Cassidy Kid
4th Jan 2007, 23:35
Volcanic Air Safaris do them in Rotovegas,
(07 348 9984, http://www.volcanicair.co.nz/ )

Also I think you can do them with the guy in Taupo http://www.tauposfloatplane.co.nz/

Somewhere down Invercargill was used to do them too, not sure who. Not sure if the Wakatipu aero club in Queenstown still does them.

Super Ord
5th Jan 2007, 00:14
There are two float planes down this neck of the woods, both C206's. One at Te Anau operated by Te Anau Waterwings, and the other operated by Southland Float Planes. Ratings can be sorted through Southern Wings.

:ok:

travmason
5th Jan 2007, 02:02
Aerolane (Bill Lane was Chief Pilot and original owner) have sold their float plane and are i nthe process (if not already done) of selling their AOC and operating rights.
They sold the plane between Sep and Nov last year.

kiwiblue
5th Jan 2007, 07:40
Ratings can be sorted through Southern Wings.

Why would anyone add a middle-man to the already (steep!) costs of achieving a floatplane rating??? Go directly to the operator. As far as I'm aware Alan at Te Anau doesn't do ratings -could be wrong tho, it's a while since I spoke to him. Phil at Alpine Air http://www.alpineair.co.nz/ (formerly Southland Floatplane Services) does do ratings. Get onto him directly. He'll have all the information at his fingertips.

kiwiblue
7th Jan 2007, 00:22
Best you check that with the operator -I would think that would be an insurance issue, probably relating to the total number of water take-off/landings you have logged. There is a minimum for insurance purposes: i.e. if the PinC does not have xxx number of water take-off/landings logged, the operator is not covered at all by his insurance. There can be exceptions arranged by the operator, by direct negotiation with the insurance company for a specific individual to operate as PinC, although in that circumstance the specific individual would more than likely be an employee, building the necessary hours/circuits on the aircraft.

Valdiviano
3rd Feb 2007, 11:05
Bill Lane, ex Aerolane is still doing endorsements, since selling his operation (wich subsequently ceased operations and sold the 206 to Akuna ), crosshires a C172 in Port Macquarie or a C206 in Ballina for endorsements.
I spoke to Bill yesterday, he can be contacted 0432 328813. Very, very experienced.:)

pakeha-boy
3rd Feb 2007, 12:11
...doesnt really matter where you go.....its the best flying youll ever do...