PDA

View Full Version : Contact Lenses for cabin crew

FlyJordz
2nd Jan 2007, 05:03
Hi everyone!

Just starting out in getting a job as cabin crew based in OZ, and was wondering if being a contact lenses wearer (disposable) would be a detriment in getting into carriers with long haul flights (ie Qantas, Virgin and Emirates)?

Was also hoping to get tips from experienced crew that work wearing disposable contact lenses (ie managing the prolonged wear, if the cabin enviorment causes excessive drying etc)

thanks!

AOskippy
2nd Jan 2007, 06:10
I wear monthly disposable contacts (Proclear is the brand and is claimable under my health fund), they are made for air conditioned environment. I also carry fake tears or rewetting eyedrops with me, in case my eyes feel dry. Your eyes will get a bit redder up in the air due to the pressurisation, but that's normal, even for people who don't wear contacts, they get red eyes. As long as when you get down on the ground, your eyes get back to normal whiteness, then there is nothing to worry about.

Wear what you wear now to give it a go, if your eyes get really red and don't return to normal, then you need to consult your optometrist, they will give suggestions on what to wear. Solution is also important, make sure you use moiturising ones, I use optifree, quite good. Good luck and happy flying.

sebby
2nd Jan 2007, 08:01
Air New Zealand is the only airline ive come accross that has a restriction on unaided vision. Most airlines just expect that you can operate at a normal capacity should your vision aids fall ill in an emergency. A simple eye test will determine this during your aviation medical.

I wear O2 optix contact lenses by CIBAvision, they allow more oxygen to circulate under the contact lense and you can also rest in them for up to four hours - great for crew rest. The special eyedrops that come with them are great for when you wake up.

misshostie
2nd Jan 2007, 09:35
Try Orthokeratology and some artificial tears.
They will reshape your cornea if you are short sighted. Total cost is about $1500
There are only a few providers in Australia
They fit the lenses and you wear them overnight. You take them out during the day and 20/20 vision should last throughout the day.
Much cheaper than laser surgery or buying disposables for a year.

Dolley
2nd Jan 2007, 13:02
Don't know about Oz/NZ to much but in the Uk you are fine as long as your vision is good with contacts. I can recommend focus night and day. You can wear them for a month 24/7 and then you throw them away. They let loads of oxygen through and I never ever had problems although I used to have lots of trouble with 'normal' disposables. I know you can get them in Oz, not sure about Nz though.

ozskipper
2nd Jan 2007, 16:24
Wearing contacts isn't a problem for Qantas - providing your eyesight is correctable to an acceptable level whilst wearing them.
However, they absolutely kill my eyes onboard - particularly when you have a nap in crew rest.

Vince Noir's IFR
4th Jan 2007, 00:12
I switched to Acuvue Oasis (one pair per week, wearing them day and night, no solution), they are composed of a slightly larger (quaternary) molecular structure, thus allowing a greater rate of O2 diffusion (99% as opposed to 90ish%) through the lens to your cornea. My eyes have actually improved since wearing these lenses (health wise) according to my optometrist, so i'm more than happy with the results, especially the total lack of dryness, even on 11hr+ days. They also seem to have elliminated the tired feeling brought about by wearing monthly's towards the end of the wearing period. Think i was on Proclear before.
Experiment is probably the best idea, your optometrist or local optician can supply you with testers, and also advise you upon any government healthcare plans that may apply to you as i'm sure this could have a bearing if it means saving you $50 a month. Good luck, sure that you'll be fine!

flytheplanemay
4th Jan 2007, 00:56
I wear daily Johnson and Johnson acuvue lenses. The daily ones, I know it works out more expensive, but once I take them out I can just throw them out, and not have to worry about solutions and stuff on layovers. I have even been known to take a nap with them in, and I dont use eye drops to moisten them at all.

Barnaby Rudge
4th Jan 2007, 08:06
Three of my friends wear the focus night and day ones without any problems even on long haul trips they don't dry up.