PDA

View Full Version : Ramp Agent positions

LFC24
1st Jan 2007, 17:54
Hello all.

I've been jobhunting for a few weeks in search of jobs at an airport no more than 80 miles from where I live (West Yorkshire).

Now I've found quite a few vacancies for ramp positions at East Midlands and Manchester Airport. I've got a covering letter prepared and also a CV. Few issues though:

1. I'm 18, do companies like Menzies and Servisair even consider people my age, bearing in mind my inexperience?

2. I possess a full driving license but don't have my own transportation yet. Say I get invited to interview, and they ask me about this and I tell them "not yet, but if I am offered the position then I can immediately gain transportation of my own" Would this be a good answer or not?

3. My CV runs to a a full two pages, is it too much? There's no way I can get it to fit on one page, by the way.

4. I would really appreciate if someone would offer to check my letter and CV to get some constructive criticism so I can improve it, so if anyone is willing to help, please send a PM.

Thanks. :)

Lite
1st Jan 2007, 18:05
Both Menzies and Servisair hire 18 year olds for EMA as long as you fulfill all of their other criteria, such as an ability to work shifts and transport yourself to the airport. My recommendation would be to send a cover letter and your CV (2 pages isnt too long at all, best to look over rather than under qualified) to both companies and wait to hear back. Include all your details in the cover letter ie why you want to work for them, what about the job you'd find interesting, what you'd bring to the company and your transport situation.

Tamesy1
1st Jan 2007, 20:20
Hi LFC

i worked for servisair at MAN last summer to get some extra money for uni. Have you tried Aviationresourcelimited?, as thats where they seem to advertise for positions. CV wasnt necessary, just an application form.
Your age isn't a problem, but you will have to state how you intend to get to work, at 4am, bus isnt an option!

LFC24
1st Jan 2007, 20:26
Thanks very much for the responses Lite and Tamesy. :ok:

Hi LFC

i worked for servisair at MAN last summer to get some extra money for uni. Have you tried Aviationresourcelimited?, as thats where they seem to advertise for positions. CV wasnt necessary, just an application form.
Your age isn't a problem, but you will have to state how you intend to get to work, at 4am, bus isnt an option!

I usually get to MAN by train or my dad takes me in his car, but I'll obviously have to get my own if I'm to work early shifts.

Lite
2nd Jan 2007, 15:30
I work for Servisair at the moment, and have to say that being able to get to the airport under your own steam is very important, particularly in the event that public transport either doesn't operate 24/7 where you live, or a failure of public transport such as a strike or heavy delays which would affect you being able to get to the airport. Also, if you're going for ramp (I'm in pax services) you will need a license as when your career progresses you will need to apply for an airside driving license allowing you to drive on the ramp.

EMA is a really nice airport, it's growing all the time, and Servisair are the largest handling agent so there's great variety and career progression opportunities.

LFC24
2nd Jan 2007, 18:56
I work for Servisair at the moment, and have to say that being able to get to the airport under your own steam is very important, particularly in the event that public transport either doesn't operate 24/7 where you live, or a failure of public transport such as a strike or heavy delays which would affect you being able to get to the airport. Also, if you're going for ramp (I'm in pax services) you will need a license as when your career progresses you will need to apply for an airside driving license allowing you to drive on the ramp.

EMA is a really nice airport, it's growing all the time, and Servisair are the largest handling agent so there's great variety and career progression opportunities.

About pax jobs, would it be a good idea to apply even if you have very litle customer experience? Assumingb they train you etc.

Lite
2nd Jan 2007, 19:48
It is preferable that you have some form of customer service experience, though in reality as long as you're able to get yourself to/from the airport, are able to operate on a shift pattern and have permission to work in the UK - then there's usually very little stringest rules that Servisair are looking for.

There is a training course, which is extensive, which is about 3 weeks including time spent job shadowing existing PSAs.

LFC24
2nd Jan 2007, 21:45
OK, apparently I'll be receiving an application form from Menzies for a position at MEA within the next few days, but I don't know if I should even apply.

1. I told a few people how I'm filling in this application, and they all say to me don't even apply for it, how will I get there everyday, it's 77 miles away, and that's just one way.

That IS quite a lot when you think of it, and add to it I'll be dragging myself home at odd times.

In all fairness, I'd love a job like this but it does seem a bit far away (at least 155 miles return) for an 18 year old. So this is a dilemma for me, and I'm asking for advice if I should bother applying? :)

Atishoo
2nd Jan 2007, 22:00
Didnt think these companies took on staff who lived so far from te airport, was i wrong in thinking this?

You would be whacked out before you even got to work, imagine how u will feel after uve dont your shift, eeekkkk

Try to apply to a nearer airport, if u havent already

Good luck

Funkie
2nd Jan 2007, 22:50
LFC24,

I would think seriously about your safety, rather than the job! I’m not saying don’t apply, just think very seriously.

Ramp work, which is effectively manual labour, is extremely tiring and if you’ve just finished a 12hr shift to top up your wages, you’ll be absolutely exhausted after a 6 day stint. I live 20mins from work and I almost fell asleep on the way home one night. That bad, I stopped in a Sainsburys car park not more than 5mins from my flat for a sleep!!!

Do you have friends or family that live nearer the airport that you could stay with? If not, go to the interview and discuss the distance. They know where you live as they sent you an application form, so it can’t be that big an issue for them. If you’re in the position to move away from home, ask if they know of current employees that house share, or if anyone has a spare room – you never know!

Heck, if you don’t get the job, you at least got an interview and tried

Best of luck.

LFC24
3rd Jan 2007, 12:00
LFC24,

I would think seriously about your safety, rather than the job! I’m not saying don’t apply, just think very seriously.

Ramp work, which is effectively manual labour, is extremely tiring and if you’ve just finished a 12hr shift to top up your wages, you’ll be absolutely exhausted after a 6 day stint. I live 20mins from work and I almost fell asleep on the way home one night. That bad, I stopped in a Sainsburys car park not more than 5mins from my flat for a sleep!!!

Do you have friends or family that live nearer the airport that you could stay with? If not, go to the interview and discuss the distance. They know where you live as they sent you an application form, so it can’t be that big an issue for them. If you’re in the position to move away from home, ask if they know of current employees that house share, or if anyone has a spare room – you never know!

Heck, if you don’t get the job, you at least got an interview and tried

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice.

Come to think of it, I do have close relatives who live about 10 minutes from EMA, I could discuss something with them maybe. Not sure.

Meanwhile, I'm sending an application to both LBA and Jet2 this week for positions advertised there. :)

Lite
3rd Jan 2007, 12:21
I did wonder when you stated you lived in Yorkshire why you hadn't considered the airports at Leeds/Bradford and Doncaster/Sheffield which would surely have been a much shorter commute.

At LBA Servisair are laying off a lot of staff now that Jet2 are going self-handling, so do check Jet2 and Aviance as the two companies taking on handling staff. At DSA the only handling agent is Servisair, and whilst they don't appear to be recruiting using the Servisair website, it doesn't hurt to drop in a CV and cover letter addressed to the Passenger Services Manager.

I agree that after a long shift the last thing you want is a lengthy commute. I'm lucky that I can sit back and relax on the bus, I'd hate to be behind the wheel.

Flyboy543
3rd Jan 2007, 12:53
One typical shift I did a few days ago was 0500-1800. Now if you can imagine getting up at god knows what hour to get to work on time, and not getting back till a lot later, doing manual work inbetween, you'll be shattered! Let alone having to do the same the next day! Apply for an airport closer to where you are if you really want to do this job is my advice.

LFC24
12th Feb 2007, 17:29
Sorry for bumping this again, but just got a question I was wondering about.

When working as a ramp agent, is it possible to add on more hour in a day? 4 hours isn't that much a all, would prefer around 8 hour a day really. Someone mentioned that the days I'm not working I have an option to actually work them.

Ad!!!
12th Feb 2007, 21:39
Usual shifts are 8.5, 10 and 12 hours. During the summer there is quite a lot of overtime in a busy airport and if you want you could work on your days off and even stop on after your shift to do a 'double'.

J-Man
13th Feb 2007, 21:23
LFC im in the same boat as you, i live near leeds and im willing to drive to EMA if i get a job with menzies. Although i considered doing most of the hours over 2/3 days if poss and staying in a cheap hotel the nights i was working then driving home to save petrol costs, so thats an idea for you.

LFC24
14th Feb 2007, 06:16
EMA is at least 90 minutes drive, compared to MAN's 60.
I was also considering renting a flat, but seeing as the job is shifts, there's no point.