PDA

View Full Version : Flight dispatcher

jackdaniels
1st Jan 2007, 13:03
Howdy folks....
happy new year to all !!!!

I just did my FAA flight dispatcher course in dallas, and I would like to know if there is someone that can tell me if there is the chance to convert it into a JAR certificate, necessary to practice in Europe...

I did my research already but unfortunatelly was not very convincing! and also I didn't see many adds for this position in europe, could that be possible?

thanks a lot....
jackdaniels

Austin_Danger_Powers
15th Jan 2007, 10:50
Positions in europe are extremely rare. I know a lot of unemployed dispatcher at the moment.
By the way: most bigger Airlines only recruite their own staff.

You can´t convert the license into a JAA one. You have to do the whole test (maybe not everything, but more or less.)

If you are holder of a JAA one it´s quite easy to get the FAA one.

Dam
17th Jan 2007, 16:58
Actually there is no European Flight Dispatcher License ...unfortunately!:bored: . That means it depends on whre you want to work.
Exemples: lAustria, Germany, Denmark issue state licenses; it means you need their license
Some countries recognise foreign state licenses or issue airline certificates.
The UK and France do have no license or certification requirement at all; you can work there with any license.
I am French so i can tell you that usally they prefer licenses from the 2 folowing school: ENAC and ESMA (w.ESMA.fr) . Yet if the airline have a lot of flights to the US they might prefer an FAA license. The FAA license has a good reputation.

jackdaniels
1st Feb 2007, 16:44
Okay, guys...
Its getting quite confusing… what I have is a FAA dispatcher license, and here in the states you do flightplanning with it, no ramp pax or baggage assistance, so how the heck should I qualify in the UK???? Anyway could it be really so bad to find this type of position in Europe? How do airlines issue a flightplan then??? Nways I just don’t wanna think I wasted 6 grand for nothing…. :ugh: If u’re in dispatching then give me a clue…

Ad!!!
1st Feb 2007, 22:49
Despatching in the UK is basically co-ordinating the turn-around and load planning. The airline ops usually do the flight plans etc...

Lasiorhinus
1st Feb 2007, 23:36
You did research the job before you shelled out six grand on a course in a foreign country, didnt you??

Austin_Danger_Powers
2nd Feb 2007, 06:46
don t waste your time. Dispatcher jobs( and i mean Flightplanner, not Ramp staff ) are quite rare. A lot of airlines only accept their own staff.

For example one of the 3 major carriers in Europe: You can only get a dispatcher by joining their dispatch course sucessfully. If you did the course somewhere else you have absolutely no chance to join. By the way: the course is not 6000$.... its approx 23.000 US$

Sorry, but things are looking pretty bad....

jackdaniels
2nd Feb 2007, 21:32
Lasiorhinus You did research the job before you shelled out six grand on a course in a foreign country, didnt you??

Well, LasiorhinusI did, I mean in the states its not that hard, only thing is I was really considering to move to the UK for good, but if this is the situation, then its quite different I guess... I just cannot get why in europe they do not value this course as much as they do in the states??? I just can't understand why... !!! airlines would have all the interest in the world to hire a brand new dispatcher fella, and they dont have to spend a dime on my training... I guess then I'll just have to continue applying with the feds then... :sad:

CFPlnr
3rd Feb 2007, 09:18

jackdaniels
3rd Feb 2007, 18:41
CFPlnrHi there,
Been flight dispatching for over 20yrs now, maybe I can offer a few tips for those trying to make the grade in a major carrier.......

- Certification is not worth much without on the job experience. Sure you need it in some airlines, but there's much more involved than just holding a ticket...understanding fuel and airline policies is what takes the time. The majors are relunctant to take on new guys without a reasonable amount of operational experience in an outfit where he/she has proved they can apply those policies.

- Flight Dispatch systems (particularly in the larger carriers) are becoming much more automated, in a lot of cases fully automated, requiring less dispatchers. These days a dispatcher also needs to be systems savy, you'll still need to know how to read a TAF and NOTAM and MAYBE apply it, if the system hiccups and is unable to.

- Best bet is to get the runs on the board with a smaller carrier, then go for the bigger ones.

It's quite fascinating to see a large airline's modern dispatch office and how little staff it takes to run a 24hr operation.

Good luck, its a great profession to be in.

CFPInr… since you’ve been in dispatching for quite a long time, how did you get hired if you don’t get a certification before? I mean how do you qualify without a certification? Anyways, if I’m getting it right, working in the UK is a pickle as usual, and as you are saying, there is no hope for a brand new flight dispatcher… UK was my first choice though, nway I’ll keep in mind your advice for the small carriers, but at this time, I think I’ve got more chances in the States, even if I don’t really know it works there concretely!:bored:

Ps I don’t think its fascinating, I don’t kinda like the idea of being replaced by machines! :=

Rampi
5th Feb 2007, 16:52
Hello.

According to JAR-OPS 1 (JAR OPS 1.205 bzw. IEM OPS 1.205) airlines are not required to have their dispatchers licensed by law. National law may apply, but for Germany for example, you can get a german dispatcher license, but you dont neccessarly need to have it.
A lot of the smaller airline businesses hire people with the FAA license.
Only a few carriers offer the possibility to do the german licence, which is quite expensive e.g. Lufthansa etc.

I am thinking of getting the FAA licence aswell. Today I do loadcontrol for a big german charter carrier.

Bye

Jan

ralle72
5th Feb 2007, 20:56
but for Germany for example, you can get a german dispatcher license, but you dont neccessarly need to have it.
that is absolutely right, but all major airlines(dlh, gec, cfg, clh, hlf) in germany require a license issued by the lba (german caa).
as a hint:
the smaller the airline the smaller the wages:eek:, except air berlin:
big airline-small wages(no lba license required)