PDA

View Full Version : UAE income tax issue

Myway or the highway
31st Dec 2006, 04:49
Hi all

as per the following post http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3043794&postcount=47 and have noticed this has cropped on other ME forums....is this definitely happening or just rumour and where can I find more information on this?

I am in the interview stage at the moment and dont want to accept a position and then find out in 18 months time that I will have to pay tax, because this is one of the attractions of taking up a position there?

Would EK and any other employer for that matter, increase the pay accordingly to take account of this possible tax imposition or would they just let it be and do nothing?

more info required please people

cheers:uhoh:

BIKKERDENNAH
31st Dec 2006, 05:18
YES income tax is coming.

And NO EK will NOT increase salaries simply to mitigate your tax burden.

Myway or the highway
31st Dec 2006, 05:37
B

tks for response. I am aware there is currently NO federal income tax in the UAE, however after some quick searching it seems the individual emirates can impose such a tax...does this mean that the Dubai emirate is to impose income tax while maybe RAK or AUH emirate may not OR is this income tax going to be national?

Where can I find more info please or where have you got yours from?

cheers:ugh:

Wiley
31st Dec 2006, 05:44
If you're worried about paying tax, steer well clear of the Sandpit. We may not pay income tax (yet), but the taxation here is as thick on the ground in other areas as anywhere else in the world - it just goes by other names (like the "plus, plus" that appears on your bill whenever you decide your wallet is getting far too fat so you lash out and go to a restaurant in Dubai, or the EXTRA fee you pay into the "education fund" when you go to pay a traffic fine).

Another Dubai "factoid" that dazzled me was the comment in the recently released Fleet Facts when (was it?) A.S. or Mr Ed said that the number of motor vehicles on the roads in Dubai has risen by 500,000 in the last twelve months. I had never considered what the number would be until I saw it in black and white, but one thing I know - the number of parking spaces in Dubai hasn't risen by 500,000 in the same period! I reckon 300,000 of these new cars are in a constant holdng pattern on Shk Zed Rd - much the same as the air traffic trying to get into Dubai does at Bubin and Desdi.

... and if your attitude to compromise is anything like your chosen Pprune 'handle', I'd be thinking this is definitely not the place for you.

Homer J. Simpson
31st Dec 2006, 05:47
Income tax, property tax, sales tax, VAT, toll roads. Tax-free...what a laugh!

Myway or the highway
31st Dec 2006, 06:03
wiley

tks for the info.

My handle was chosen mainly for humour value and does not really relate to my disposition.