PDA

View Full Version : EK housing

Myway or the highway
31st Dec 2006, 04:26
I hope some of you guys/gals may be able to help me:

I have been shortlisted for interview with Emirates, and I am aware that the Silicon Oasis villas are all 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom but the kitchen/entertaining area is a little on the small side...is this correct?

I assume they also have varying sizes of yards?

also aware that they have no landscaping, so one has to either do this yourself or pay to have someone come in and do this, am I correct on this assumption?

Do these villas have lockable garages (if so for how many cars?) or are they just lockable carports (again for how many cars?)

Also do these villas have a covered outdoor area or again is this something one has to provide for yourself?

Other question is if one is not put into the silicon oasis villas do the other complexes they put you into have similiar to the above, if not please enlighten me??

anyway all thanks again and hope you can provide some answers for me as I like to go into these things with my eyes wide open before I jump.

cheers

:confused: :confused:

BIKKERDENNAH
31st Dec 2006, 05:38
Big enough villas, decent size garden but just a block of sand,no garage door(double garage), will be your responsibility budget circa 20 to 40000 dhs for a nice enough reasonable quality garden (8 to 10000 AUD). This cost used to be offset with you electing to move into your villa with no furniture usually staying at a mates place while training,and the company giving you a check for 36000dhs.This is no longer available if you are married with children you will get a villa probably at silicon which isnt half bad and it will be fully furnished!! So if you want to bring over your own furniture to make it feel like home you can but this is extra expense and hassle if you then have to ditch the substandard furniture you are supplied with when you arrive.

silicon is very child friendly,quiet streets and good play areas are almost completed,definately a plus!!

The move to Dubai will be an expensive one and you can AND will be eating considerably into your savings to get set up here!!

PACKING and REMOVAL 5 to 10000AUD if you need a container.
AIRLINE TICKETS 2 kids you and wife 5000AUD on EK
GARDEN 8 to 10000AUD
GARAGE DOOR if you want one 1 to 3000AUD

At the top end circa 28000AUD plus a couple more for incidentals. say 30000AUD.

Good luck and start saving!!

Myway or the highway
31st Dec 2006, 05:47
B

when did they stop paying the 36K, my T&C that was emailed to me a couple of weeks ago shows this is still happening?

re the ditching of the furnishing supplied...doesn't EK own this furniture or is this yours once you move in?

Anyone there tried to do their own landscaping?

s**t no garage door...what were they thinking...is it a garage or carport then?

wait for your answers when able

Myway:\

BIKKERDENNAH
31st Dec 2006, 06:04
The 36 K for married couples with kids who elect to to take it has definately GONE . You have to put this into your financial equation.

The 36K is still given to single pilots or married pilots with NO children but the standard of apartments has dropped signifantly from 3 to 2 bedroom not good if you want guests!

It is a garage but is treated as a carport until you put doors on!!

Im sorry that the TCs emailed to you were not entirely correct,but whats wrong with a little white lie here and there, technically the 36K has NOT gone!!:D

BigGeordie
31st Dec 2006, 07:03
Some people love Silicon Oasis and have actually asked to be moved there from other properties, some people would rather leave the company than live there. It is a very personal thing, where we like to live. However, remember that wherever the company put you is where you remain until and unless the company decide to move you. The utilities allowance will only rent you a one bedroom flat in a nice area, it is about 50% of the rent you would need for a nice villa before you look at electricity and water bills and the housing fee/tax (5% of the annual rent paid to the government). If you wanted to buy it won't cover the mortgage on anything much really.

It would be a terrible thing to turn up at Silicon Oasis on your first day at Emirates and find out that your wife and family hate it....

TangoUniform
31st Dec 2006, 07:16
The 36 K for married couples with kids who elect to to take it has definately GONE . You have to put this into your financial equation.

The 36K is still given to single pilots or married pilots with NO children but the standard of apartments has dropped signifantly from 3 to 2 bedroom not good if you want guests!

It is a garage but is treated as a carport until you put doors on!!

Im sorry that the TCs emailed to you were not entirely correct,but whats wrong with a little white lie here and there, technically the 36K has NOT gone!!:D

Not entirely correct. If you elect to go unfurnished, then you get the 36k. If you elect to take EK's furnishings, then the 36k is not available.

uplock
31st Dec 2006, 11:44
Big Geordie is correct.

Housing is a wild card.

Do not take the Utility Allowance . It has never kept up with the real cost of Renting a Villa and the way that the company conduct an annual review and make an adjustment is way behind what actually has happened with Inflation and the cost of living.

As our Senior management never have to rent a Villa using the Allowance so it will never come close to watch you actually ness to rent a Villa if you do not like the company one.

Does not help that the Government use an out dated formulae since 1994 to calculate inflation which the International Monetary Fund have said is not transparent or Reflecting what is happening in the streets.

The man in the street is now paying for a 4 bedroom Villa built by Arabtech (they built Silicon oasis Villas) in Arabian ranches 4 million AED (just over 1 million US $) and you do not have to pay Electricity, water or Municipality or Service charges in this Tax free country…..

Housing has and continues to be the wild card in the Emirates Employment package with often what being shown to you bearing absolutely no resemblance to your final home however you will have done well to land in a home located in the Silicon Oasis.

Despite what so called property experts have written over the past year there will be no flood of apartments and Villas in 2007 and down ward rent adjustment is just a figment of the imagination.

With no audited figures on projected housing projects and with the companies unable to deliver promised houses and apartments as scheduled on time the continued short supply of housing and accomadation will carry on into 2007. Projects such as JBR or the Palm or International City were supposodly going to flood the market, however take a drive out to any of these developments and you will see they have a long way to go.

What you can be sure of is that come profit Sharing Time the company Spin Doctors sharpen the pencils for yet another belt tightning company news letter despite announcing record profits but leaving out the record Inflation cost of living and continued up ward spiral of living in Dubai.

Sonny Hammond
31st Dec 2006, 22:45
Some of the info being sprayed here is absolute crap.
EG, on joning you and your family (up to 3 kids) all get tickets (firm) to get to dubai.
You can choose money or furniture.
You don't need a garage door. The estate is gated.

Read the offer pack and ask ek questions. You will not get straight answers here.

CAYNINE
2nd Jan 2007, 06:34
Skippy's Boy,

Well put, getting tired of the same crap recirculating.

My Way,

You've had most of these questions answered before....you coming to an interview??? If so just do it and see for yourself. If not stop wasting space here with requests for info on a subject that will not produce objective replies from most.

See is believing....either way.