PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide- smoke in cabin

flyboy2
30th Dec 2006, 13:40
The flight in question was from Durban to Cape Town.
According the screaming Press report, the passengers all over-reacted as usual.
Best Excerpt from the press report:
"But the cabin crew were great, they tried to keep every-one as calm as they could. Whichever way you look at it, when there is a fire in mid-air and you are forced to turn around, it is not a nice experience and you are happy when you are back on the ground."

Popular jazz musician Erne Smith and his wife, Lucretia, who were also on the plane, said it had been a "hairy experience".

Nationwide arranged a replacement aircraft and the passengers arrived in Cape Town at about 2.30pm.
'Nudd sed "

james ozzie
30th Dec 2006, 18:54
[QUOTE=flyboy2;3043359]According the screaming Press report, the passengers all over-reacted as usual.
Interesting view. How does a cabin fire rate on the scale of potential disasters? If the fire is not contained, surely the result is not far behind diving into the ground? Only difference everyone is gassed / burned before impact rather than after. Sounds to me as if the pax under-reacted, as these innocent souls do not realise how serious an in-flight fire is. Ask the pax on the Saudi DC10 (? I think it was?) who were gassed on the runway while the flight crew got a taxi clearance back to the ramp. No panic there.
Does it come down to the flight crew relaying info to the passengers (& sometimes vice versa)? Not easy I am sure, if you have smoke in the cockpit and a genuine crisis to be dealt with.

nugpot
30th Dec 2006, 19:16
AFAIK, there was no fire. There was a bit of electrical smoke which cleared rapidly. Crew followed SOP and landed.

Romeo E.T.
30th Dec 2006, 20:48
There is a "rule-of-thumb"...You have 15 minutes to get on the ground or have the fire/flame/smoke totally under control...there after R.I.P..???

Well done Brothers at Nationwide for getting the aerie down so "SPEEDILY"

KeMac
30th Dec 2006, 22:51
[QUOTE=flyboy2;3043359]According the screaming Press report, the passengers all over-reacted as usual.
Interesting view. How does a cabin fire rate on the scale of potential disasters? If the fire is not contained, surely the result is not far behind diving into the ground? Only difference everyone is gassed / burned before impact rather than after. Sounds to me as if the pax under-reacted, as these innocent souls do not realise how serious an in-flight fire is. Ask the pax on the Saudi DC10 (? I think it was?) who were gassed on the runway while the flight crew got a taxi clearance back to the ramp. No panic there.
Does it come down to the flight crew relaying info to the passengers (& sometimes vice versa)? Not easy I am sure, if you have smoke in the cockpit and a genuine crisis to be dealt with.

It was a Saudia Tristar at Dhahran and the passengers were burned alive. Instead of immediate evacuation on landing there was talk in the press at the time of a macho attitude by the crew to taxi the plane back to the ramp while the fire was raging in the cabin.

MCKES
31st Dec 2006, 09:11
The person who alerted the crew and pretty much took over the cabin, while the captain and first officer did his job was actually an Emirates flight safety instructor, who happened to be on board the flight. Congrats to the crew to bring it under control and land safely without further drama.