PDA

View Full Version : Older newbie looking for direction

2close
29th Dec 2006, 22:54
Hi troops,

After a lifetime in military service and Health & Safety I'm now a 46 (just) year old 400 hr PPL/NQ/IMC, just about to finish the JAA ATPLs in February.
I now have to decide which direction to take.

My original plan was to go into instructing (still an option) and undertake a course that provided an instructor internship at the end, converting to JAA at the same time, and looking for a full time instructing job afterwards.
However, having thought about this I am also quite taken with the idea of corporate flying.

I was considering a FAA ME CPL IR, followed by either 500 hours of TP or 250 hours of CRJ SIC time via the Eaglejet (or anything similar) route and then, if necessary, do the JAA conversions and TR afterwards - it seems that the only viable way of gaining enough experience to make your CV interesting enough to any prospective employer is to pay for it and many before me have gone down that road so I suppose it's the only way - I await correction here.

I have no ties so am not limited in that respect where I can work afterwards and would be more than happy to move out of the UK.

So, to the title, "say it as it is", guys, is this a realistic option or, at my age, am I barking up the wrong tree on a hiding to nothing?

I'd be really grateful for any and as much info as possible, warts and all.

Thanks.

2close

1Bingo
30th Dec 2006, 12:04
Recommend instruction to build hours. Network prospective contacts/employers and determine which type to pursue in corporate sector. You will have to knock off the scheduled airline job at 60 y.o.

Good luck.

Megaton
30th Dec 2006, 12:35
In Big Airways it looks like quite a few will work up to 65 yrs old in the RHS.