PDA

View Full Version : Shipping personal belongings to Hong Kong?

Mach75
29th Dec 2006, 19:54
Quick question for anyone who might know:

When a new-hire moves from his/her home country to Hong Kong the company with ship up to 180 Kg/adult & 90 KG/child of their belongings for free. Is there a limit to the size that the company will allow you to ship? For example, I would like to ship my queen-size bed, my leather couch, love-seat & arm chair, as well as some other smaller personal belongings. Will this present a problem size-wise?

Thanks

Richard Wong
29th Dec 2006, 23:43
Quick question for anyone who might know:

When a new-hire moves from his/her home country to Hong Kong the company with ship up to 180 Kg/adult & 90 KG/child of their belongings for free. Is there a limit to the size that the company will allow you to ship? For example, I would like to ship my queen-size bed, my leather couch, love-seat & arm chair, as well as some other smaller personal belongings. Will this present a problem size-wise?

Thanks

Aiyaaaaaaa, typical Gweilo laaaaaaaaaaa.

Hong Kong has got every thing, why don't you just come and purchase new chinese made items laaaaaaaaaaa...why bring stuff all the way from home laaaaaaa?

Harbour Dweller
30th Dec 2006, 03:22
We bought a Queen size bed and various large pieces of bedroom furniture. No problems at all.

Didn't bring a couch so not sure about that.

Don't forget to apply for the ID90 freight allowance as well. It will help you squeeze a little more on for less coin. Call the benefits department for the paperwork prior to moving.

CV Donator
30th Dec 2006, 11:27
Mach 75, I'm starting soon as well on the Airbus fleet. Just wondered have you got a place in mind to live or are you going to use the 6 months in the Headland to locate somewhere.

Mach75
30th Dec 2006, 16:59
I'm planning on staying at the Headland for a few weeks and then looking for an apartment in Tung Chung on a month-to-month basis until I can find a suitable place for my family.

Harbour Dweller
31st Dec 2006, 00:57
Guys,

Month to Month in Tung Chung is very rare at the moment.

The Headland has ordered all the long termer Cabin Crew out of the hotel as of Jan 1st. This is to create more rooms for new hires and based crew.

As a result rents in Tung Chung have increased and most landlords are looking for long term tenants. If you can find one short term you may have to dig into your pocket a little as the S/O rent allowance of roughly HK$14 000 may not cover it.

DB (I hate to say it) has far more choice in short term places.

NoseGear
31st Dec 2006, 04:45
HD and co, the Rent Free Zone housing allowance is HKD24 and change per month, 14k is the minimum basic allowance. This will open up the number of places for you to look at, but the basic rule:The closer to town you are, the smaller and more expensive will be your place.

Happy house hunting!:ugh:

Nosey

SkyByou
31st Dec 2006, 17:59
Can anyone verify that the port cities are those Cathay flies to (non-code share) as opposed to those listed on its website as destinations? I'm presently in the US and starting soon as a DESO. Cathay doesn't fly anywhere nearby. What are my best options for shipping to HK?
sb

Richard Wong
1st Jan 2007, 17:20
Can anyone verify that the port cities are those Cathay flies to (non-code share) as opposed to those listed on its website as destinations? I'm presently in the US and starting soon as a DESO. Cathay doesn't fly anywhere nearby. What are my best options for shipping to HK?
sb

Here is the best advice I can give you:

Leave all your stuff behind and buy new stuff from across the border. There are sweatshops in China that can produce goods for you quick and cheap!

Five Green
2nd Jan 2007, 04:15
The easiest way to sort this out is to call CX. As everyone's shipping is contracted to a local company that can move you from where you are !

Just call the office !

Mr Wong.

Your posts have a very negative and inflamitory flavour. I suggest that if you at all wish to make your views known, you take some time to do it intelligently. In general this is not a board for deliberate goading.

Happy New Year

Glacier1900
3rd Jan 2007, 01:52
Yes Mr.Wong,
It is not sometimes the cost, more the value of having something familiar or dear with you (or your family)

SkyByou
4th Jan 2007, 01:53
[QUOTE=Five Green;3046989]The easiest way to sort this out is to call CX. As everyone's shipping is contracted to a local company that can move you from where you are !

How do most DESO new joins move their personal effects to Hong Kong? The excess freight allowance seems useless unless you live in a Cathay port. Has anyone moved from a non-CX online city (esp in the US) to Hong Kong?