PDA

View Full Version : (Wireless Network) I know it's been done to death but I is confused

Deano777
29th Dec 2006, 15:37
Hi all

I have done a search for this and come up with several threads, I followed a tutorial that Saab Dastard posted from MS but this seemed to delete my current net connection :{

So if you don't mind can I start from the top and then get some advice as to what I need to do.

First off, I have a desktop PC, and a laptop, upstairs is my broadband connection, I had to move the desktop downstairs after the arrival of our 2nd daughter, so on this connection I have a BT Voyager 2100 wireless router which is obviously plugged in and running, downstairs my desktop has a Linksys Wireless G USB wireless network adapter which is connecting my desktop to the BT Voyager. The laptop has a Netgear WG111 wireless dongle which is connecting the laptop to the BT Voyager, now the question is, how do I connect the 2 PC's together? or do I need another bit of hardware? all I want to be able to do is to use the wireless connection to print off files from the laptop, my printer is connected to my desktop PC

Both PCs use Win XP

Thanks again

Dean

BEagle
29th Dec 2006, 17:10
Of course you could always treat yourself to a wireless printer such as the brilliant Canon Pixma iP5200R! When my clattery old Epson C82 finally died, I bought an iP5200R and it is superb! You just add it as a 'new client' to the Voyager's list (I use the Voyager 2000) and install the software on whichever computers you wish to print from. It took me about an hour to set it up and install the drivers on the computers. No need to set up any fancy networks - it works flawlessly and the only trick is remembering to turn it on, of course.

I have the wireless router modem upstairs and the iP5200R sits unobtrusively under the telephone table. I have 2 laptops - the talk to the router which talks to the printer and vice versa. Soooo much better than cables or even bluetooth printer adapters! Print quality is outstanding - I really cannot recommend it too much.

(I have no connections with Canon - in any sense!)

spannersatcx
29th Dec 2006, 17:36
start - settings - printers and faxes - right click on your printer - select properties - select the sharing tab - select share this printer and give a name. It should then be available to all networked pc's.

Keef
30th Dec 2006, 00:28
I did the router connection thing with my older Canon Pixma ip4000. It worked fine, until one of the inkpots ran out. There's no communication back from the printer to the PC on the Draytek router. It's back with its USB connection to the desktop machine now, shared as spanners says.
You may have to set up a local area network first (easy to do - Win XP leads you through it by the hand).

BEagle
30th Dec 2006, 12:05
Well, the iP5200R certainly reports its ink status back to my PCs through the wireless router. That was one of the main problems with my old Bluetooth connection - no feedback from printer to PC.

ZH875
30th Dec 2006, 12:18
I am with BEagle on this one. The IP5200R is simply the best inkjet printer I have had. The automatic double sided printing is a neat facility on such a cheap printer, and if you add the permanent dual paper source and CD printing to the multiple ways of connecting it to a computer, it gives great performance and Value for Money.

(I too have no connections with Canon - in any sense!, but I wish I had some shares....)

Keef
30th Dec 2006, 17:52
I think my lack of communication printer -> router -> computer is down to the router rather than the printer. It's a Draytek, and the manual specifically says it's one way only for printing.

My Pixma (IP4000) is a couple of years old, but excellent. It does that double-sided thing, and does it very well. In fact, it has one big advantage over the later models: there are no chips in the ink tanks, so they are a lot cheaper - and I can use "alternative" ones, still excellent quality but a fraction of the Canon price. A friend bought a later Pixma on my recommendation, and is very cross about the cost of inkpots. Apparently you can't refill them yourself for very long either - the printer cottons on and refuses to accept them.

Deano777 - is it sorted now, or do you need more ideas?

Deano777
31st Dec 2006, 11:18
Hi guys

Thanks for all your responses, sorry for my late response, I haven't been at my PC.

BEagle, great idea mate, the only thing is that I have a relatively new printer and don't want to upgrade just yet, but it is a thought, I'll look into it.

spannersatcx & keef etc, thanks for that, I'll try it, however, my PCs are not networked, I guess what I was asking is, is the hardware that I have enough to network the 2 wirelessly? or do I need something else? I have gone through the "setting up a home or small office network" but it doesn't seem to happen, sorry I am a complete idiot when it comes to this sort of thing and find the Win XP explanation somewhat lacking.

Rgds

Dean

bladewashout
31st Dec 2006, 12:49
You need them in the same workgroup:

Control Panel->System->Computer Name Tab

Set the workgroups to be the same. Disable Windows Firewall on both computers and/or any other firewall, temporarily.

Now on the machine with the printer, look at properties, and share the printer with an appropriate name.

Reboot the two machines, go to My Computer->My Network Places->View Workgroup Computers.

You should be able to see each machine from the other.

You may find that you now have an 'Auto' printer popped up in your network places, otherwise, go to Printers->add Printer->Add a Network Printer->Browse for a printer.

Browse your way through the workgroup and you should be able to add the printer.

Now re-establish the firewalls and see if it still works, if it doesn't, you need to start playing around.

The above represents the perfect situation where nothing goes wrong.

BW

Sh3113y
31st Dec 2006, 13:22
I agree with BW except it's probably easier to make the pc's a member of the same workgroup as the router seeing as how it's also a DHCP server. Knowing BT the workgroup/domain name is probably home or voyager, see the local network config page of the router manager. I never had to disable the firewalls just allow the other pc access but fair point to make it easy, although please remember to re-enable.

Deano777
31st Dec 2006, 15:20
blade

Thank you for that, it works a treat, however, I cannot get the laptop to display the computers in the "view network computers", nothing shows up, I have all firewalls disabled, my desktop PC can see the laptop as clear as day, I have run the "connect to a small home or office network" wizard etc on the laptop too but no success, any ideas? :confused:

bladewashout
31st Dec 2006, 16:30
It can take a couple of reboots to get it all working, but if that doesn't fix it, since your PCs can see each other, there is probably some firewall software still running, e.g. symantec/norton.
If you know the IP address of the desktop, you can try and mount a desktop volume on the laptop. Set a volume to be shareable on the desktop using properties on the C: drive icon in my computer, then
My Computer->tools->map network drive
You can use, for example, \\192.168.1.2\C$ (assuming that is the share name).
That may force it to all work, once you've mapped drives in both directions.
It can be a sod to make this stuff work, usually there's some software in the way.
BW

Also, try running the share wizard on both machines.

Skanky Yoda
31st Dec 2006, 16:57
have you installed the printer drivers on the laptop...?
Sorry but it may have happened...

Deano777
7th Jan 2007, 08:33
Guys

Thanks a million for all your responses, I have tried everything suggested but it still does not work, I cannot get the lappy to see my desktop, I can however ping my desktop from the laptop so it is seeing something covert, it just doesn't want me to see it.
I have officially given up on the idea :{

Rgds

Dean

bladewashout
7th Jan 2007, 10:20
Two more suggestions for long term:

- try and get hold of a third machine and see if you can get it working with either of your laptop/desktop. It should clarify where the problem lies (outgoing from the laptop or incoming to the desktop).

- If you can establish which machine has a fault, treat yourself to an upgraded hard drive for it and re-load windows from scratch onto a new drive. Before you add any extra software, try to get the network up and running.

If it works you solve the problem, go on to re-install your old software and files, you can trash the old hard drive. If it doesn't, at least you have a new hard drive which is usually useful. Most laptops which have device bays can have a second hard drive in the bay, fabulous for really secure backups. Desktops always need more storage.

BW

Keef
7th Jan 2007, 20:39
Never give up!

Try this:

Open Windows Explorer (Windows key + E will do it)
Tools - Map Network Drive
Pick an unused letter in the "Drive" box, then click "Browse"

You should see "Microsoft Windows Network" - click on the + beside that
and drill down to see how far you get.

Windows usually uses the default workgroup name "Workgroup" - so unless you used something else, that's where they should be.