PDA

View Full Version : What do journalists know about meteorology?

29th Dec 2006, 13:25
From the Cyrpus Mail:

TEMPERATURES crept up three degrees Celsius yesterday following the coldest night of the year on Wednesday when barometers fell to zero in Nicosia

matelot
29th Dec 2006, 13:38
A vacuum over Nicosia...

Krystal n chips
29th Dec 2006, 14:01
Mere technical details :p ----could have been a lot worse aka the UK version :

Arctic Blast plunges Britain into chaos !! ( read the South East here of course )

Arctic Hell for UK !!

Global warming produces Arctic future for Brits !!

Big Freeze set to last until May----Official !!!!

etc.. etc, etc, :rolleyes:

Fg Off Max Stout
29th Dec 2006, 15:22
Daily Mail journos and TV presenters seem to have a habit of talking complete b0ll0cks about the ratios of temperatures, frequently saying something along the lines of: "at 15C it's only half as hot as last month's high of 30C". Irritates me every time. I wonder where -5C would fit onto that scale. As we all know, 15C is 95% as hot as 30C! Should've stayed in school.

frostbite
29th Dec 2006, 15:29
They can't even get their stories straight between national and local forecasters on the same channel!

Last night on the Beeb - Nat. 7c min for my area, Local 0c min. Think national won that one.

Fg Off Max Stout
29th Dec 2006, 16:56
Thanks for sh1tting in my sandwich KC! Journos and presenters are obviously better educated in your country. In mine I have heard 'twice as hot' and other variations on many occasions. I'm not just making this stuff up.

I'd be interested if you could explain how my 15C/30C example was false. Although I never liked thermodynamics, I did study it for some time and I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. The ratio of temperatures (absolute) is as I said. Are you trying to allude to the difference between heat and temperature (which leads to the same ratio unless you vary masses and SHC)?

Maybe the journos were right all along. Please elaborate KC. Bring on the quantum mechanics!:ok:

Lon More
29th Dec 2006, 17:02
Definition of a meteorologist; a man who can look into a girl's eyes and tell whether

henry crun
29th Dec 2006, 20:54
I knew the daughter of a met man once, quite an attractive young lady but her demeanour earned her the knickname of Katabatic. :}

HOGE
29th Dec 2006, 21:50
I knew the daughter of a met man once, quite an attractive young lady but her demeanour earned her the knickname of Katabatic. :}

You mean she came out at night, and went down?:}

Arm out the window
30th Dec 2006, 00:30
Or his other daughter Humidity, who was always warm and moist, not to mention Cyclone, who could suck, blow and throw you across the room.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Dec 2006, 00:42
...or his other daughter who had had breast enhancement surgery ... Stationary Front

flugholm
30th Dec 2006, 01:44
Sorry to interrupt you...
Rest assured I don't intend to praise German [sort-of-]state TV (ARD/ZDF), but I admire them for still having Real True Diploma/Dr/Prof Met Folks as bloody TV presenters. Some are even rumoured to hold *whisper* pilot's licenses. Whoah!
In the end, it doesn't make a differerce. Weather's still crap here. :-/

Oceanz
30th Dec 2006, 02:50
TV journos are interested in precipitation, as in "Can I do my piece to camera in the studio? It's raining outside and I don't want to get my hair wet". :{

Standard Noise
30th Dec 2006, 02:59
The one that gets me is the blond Scottish bint on BBC Breakfast Time who breathes so heavily when she's doing the weather, you'd think she was gasping her last. Tis very irritating.

And why is every 'weather girl' on GMTV perpetually pregnant?

Krystal n chips
30th Dec 2006, 06:56
The one that gets me is the blond Scottish bint on BBC Breakfast Time who breathes so heavily when she's doing the weather, you'd think she was gasping her last. Tis very irritating.

Possibly the two statements above coud be related ? :hmm: -----as for the second, well if your only doing a few 2mins spots in the morning, that, er, leaves the rest of the day free.................so to speak :p :E

Capt. Queeg
30th Dec 2006, 07:14

Not the ones on dutch telly, you can tell they're not up the duff......

Ever since Brazilian waxing came into vogue (even in the netherregions) the dutch have had to put a couple of bricks under the camera to leave the exposed bits to the imagination.

Mycroft
30th Dec 2006, 07:15
I am waiting for the BBC to produce a weather channel as according to their figures the 3 minute weather slots are very good value for money, costing less than 40 each. This is because the presenters do not work for the BBC but are real Met Office employees (ie they are already paid by us as civil servants and they don't even bother paying for a camera man).

Oceanz
30th Dec 2006, 07:19
More like 150-200 pounds on standard studio costings.

G-CPTN
30th Dec 2006, 11:54
HOW do you think they get the job? :ugh:

Foss
30th Dec 2006, 13:10
I could make a great weather girl. 2 minutes before going on air look out the window.
3-2-1 on air 'Well it's overcast today and there could be scattered showers later' Sweep hand generally over Scotland and England on a map I can't see.
'And here is a cold front moving in bringing rain in some places.'

But I'd have a bit of a problem with the pregnancy bit. It would have to be a cushion up my shirt or something.
Fos

DX Wombat
30th Dec 2006, 15:59
I could make a great weather girl ..... But I'd have a bit of a problem with the pregnancy bit. It would have to be a cushion up my shirt or something.
Fos:confused: The mind boggles!:eek: :uhoh: :\ Just don't try to use the Idiot as a substitute pregnancy. :eek: :uhoh:

matt_hooks
30th Dec 2006, 21:48
Coffee/keyboard moment there...

Image of the Idiot appearing, Alien style, from Foss' nether regions, then nicking all the cameramens sweets! :} :} :}

Most of the TV weather people in the UK are properly qualified meteorologists. They prepare their own slots with all the info from the met office and such. I see'd a wellyvision programme bout it a while back.

Apparently, tho they actually use a blue screen, they CAN see the map in the autocue screen on't'o't camera, with them in the right position, very clever stuff!

Davaar
30th Dec 2006, 22:45

Perhaps they have occluded fronts.

matt_hooks
30th Dec 2006, 22:49
Perhaps they have occluded fronts.

More likely the exact opposite! :O

To be fair, there's more than one that would tempt me into sinning! ;)

G-CPTN
30th Dec 2006, 22:50
Nah! WARM fronts.
And 'local' TV weather girls may not be qualified meteorologists . . .

By chance, when searching for a photo of my favourite TV Weather Girl, I happed upon the following sad news:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/forecasters/helen_young_farewell.shtml
Helen is married to a British Airways pilot and they live in Surrey with their 2 children.I believe she also holds a PPL.

radeng
3rd Jan 2007, 13:49
MaxStout
the 95% comes about when you deal in absolute temperature. So 30C to 15C is 303K to 288K, which is 95%. Because of the range of temperature, you have to deal in kelvin, or you have trouble handling negative temperatures when you want to talk in ratios - 'twice as cold'.

Rainboe
3rd Jan 2007, 14:05
The real horror is BBC World Service TV weather. Usually left with a 90 second or so slot before the main news. Watching in Africa last week, they were going over in fine detail the weather.....in Western China. Nowhere else, just Western China, talking about showers in Chungking or somewhere. Very illuminating. Very useful. Hello up there in Bush House! How many Brits (or anyone else) are actually in Western China watching BBC TV for the local weather? Think about this you trendy liberal metrosexuals wearing red braces while you spend MY licence money on this garbage! Instead of briefly running through UK weather every hour (which is what most Brits abroad want- it's nice to know when there's something like serious fog about which may affect your family or flight home), they produce rubbish like that. If you are only given a few seconds to run through weather- there is no point in trying to do the whole world over about 6 hours- people don't watch that long. How CNN is actually getting better than the BBC now- and I never thought I'd live to say that!

Foss
3rd Jan 2007, 14:24
Did anyone hear the road traffic report done by someone pretending to do the shiping forecast on R4.
'North Yorkshirer, busy and a slow moving cloud pattern and a lorry.'
'South Yorkshirer, busy. 0060 miles an hour, not rising.'
'Tempers rising.'

Well I thought it was funny ;)
Fos

ORAC
3rd Jan 2007, 16:01
Probably something to do with their lapse rate..... ;)