PDA

View Full Version : Flying in South America

Jetset320
28th Dec 2006, 19:01
Next month I will be flying in South America on a wet lease. We will be based in Santiago and operate mainly to Brasil (East Coast), Uruguay, Argentina, Ecuador and Punta Cana in Dominican Republic.

We have done as much reaseach as we can, but none of us have any experience in this area, so I was hoping for any pointers and suggestions especially viz a vis the terrain in/out of Santiago, and other airfields. Are there any online articles on this subject perhaps?

Panama Jack
29th Dec 2006, 08:28
I seem to remember somebody posted something about operating into Santiago about a year ago. Might want to try a search.

Glonass
29th Dec 2006, 21:11
First of all, I will presume you have access to all the charts and briefing data; if it isn’t the case let me know and will work something out. First let’s see the enroute part: your last part of the routing will most probably be POS UW14 ERE UA307 DOZ UA306 UMKAL NAVAR5 SCEL. The region you will fly over Argentina is called “La Pampa” and it can become quite a headache at this time of the year because of multiple CB, TS formations and huge squall line, thus I would recommend you fly that sector early morning or before noon if at all possible. Due to some weather deviations you might end up a few miles north or south of your desired path so have a thorough look at the WX picture.

Bear in mind some considerations for the crossing of the Andes. Bring a camera, if it’s clear of clouds the sight is breath taking and some snap shot are a must (just north of UMKAL is mount Aconcagua). You must cross via airway and under IFR. There are different alternatives of airways to choose from however, you are looking basically at 2 of them: to cross over UMKAL or ANKON. For you information Air Canada opts for the ultra-conservative way and they always cross over ANKON. I do not know the in-depth of their decision but ANKON has much lower MCA and overall MSA. Pro’s: you’re further away from the ground in the eventuality of an engine failure and/or depressurize and less chances of mountain wave turbulence. Con’s: you will be the only one crossing there thus no actual reports, longer distance to SCEL and you will be vectored in from the south to a short visual right downwind pattern (which I do not recommend if you’re not familiar with the area) or vectored to a long pattern thus more distance and fuel. Cross over UMKAL: Pro’s: shorter distance thus less fuel (you might get a star from your boss in your logbook!). Plenty of actual crossing reports available from Mendoza Control (126.6) so you know what you’re in for. Con’s: in case of engine failure and/or depressurization you’re suddenly earning your bucks.

Personally , I would recommend crossing over UMKAL basically because you are well covered in case of engine failure/depressurization (even though the MEA is quite high) and because it is not very probable to encounter mountain wake turbulence in January (but not impossible, predicting mountain turbulence is an inexact science).

As a reference, with winds over 50 KTS and/or pressure difference of 10 hPa or more between SCEL and SAME it is likely you encounter some sort of moderate-strong turbulence. The forecast is one thing but then again the actual crossing reports are a good tool too.

Another suggestion is to cross UMKAL at MEA FL260 and furthermore cross DOZ at FL260 that way you will be established early below the jet stream with less chances of mountain wave turbulence encounter. Everyone fastened at this time.

As for the oxygen reserve, we have many of our aircrafts with 12 min system which, unless you intend to do some sightseeing over the Andes, is enough. In case of emergency, going west, before starting your descent (assuming you are at FL260) I would suggest a 180° to your left and alternate to SAME. In case of emergency once on descent (assuming you started at FL260) I would suggest you stay on course and descent toward SCEL as MEA permit (provide with vectors you can descent even lower). So, in any case you are covered.

You probably won't be able to listen to the ATIS (132.1) until over UMKAL. Request the latest Metar to Mendoza or via ACARS. One minute before your ETO UMKAL you will be transferred to Santiago Control (129.7) who will most probably clear you to descent to FL70 (with a limit to your clearance to UE NDB [Lo Castro]) descent via NAVAR 5 or perhaps provide you with radar vectors. In case of radar vectors the interception of the localizer from east to west is not uncommon. In case of vectors I would suggest you mention to the ATC you are not familiar with the area and be assured the controllers are very proficient in their vectoring.

The NAVAR 5 is a bit tricky regarding the vertical profile: UMKAL (FL260) to LOSAN (FL180) in 17 NM no problem; LOSAN (FL180) to SAFEL (FL130) in 18 NM it gets tighter specially if you’re going fast; I would definitely recommend you cross SAFEL at FL130 at approximately 220 KIAS or slower in order to cope with the vertical path not to mention the overshoot on the turn and the comfort of your pax. The use of the speedbrake is quite common on this descent. Then, D30 AMB (FL90), D22 AMB/D20 IUEL (FL70) and then you’re in for the approach which will most probably be an ILS RWY 17L. Beware the capture of the GS (GP 3°) is at 5000 ft and aprox. D9 IUEL. You will be transferred to tower at this point (118.1). Transition FL is FL65 or FL60 depending on the altimeter setting and the weather will most probably be CAVOK although Santiago is affected by heavy smog which reduces the visibility down to approximately 3000 m and it's quite hazy. Winds are fairly aligned from the south and temperatures at this time of the year vary from 12°C-35°C (night-day). Once you’re on the ground you’ll vacate either via taxiway C or B, and be switched to ground (122.2). I presume you will be going to the FBO therefore it is very likely they send you a Follow Me vehicle.

On your way out of Santiago, clearance is on 129.7 and expect the SID SUPRA 7. Transition altitude is 5000 ft. Once you’ve cross FL130 you can proceed to SUPRA; you do not need to cross the radial 104° of SNO before you can start your turn (it’s a common misunderstanding of the plate). In case of engine failure/depressurization I would suggest turning right to intercept the reverse procedure. Beware that after SUPRA until ALBAL, should you decide to reverse course maintain FL200 until establish once again on some sort of airway (of course unless under radar vectors). In case of failure east of ALBAL continue on the airway down to the MEA and proceed when clear of obstacles toward ESITO then to SAME.

One last thing, in January because of the holidays and summer time things tend to be a bit slower around here so be patient and arrange things in advance (FBO, customs, shuttle, etc.) :}

I can’t think of anything else at this time. If I missed something you would like to know or need additional information please do not hesitate to let me know; as well should you need some extra info for your layover…

Be advised I won’t be around from December 31 ‘til mid January so should you need anything else it’s now or never.

Safe flight and keep the blue side up!

Cheers,

Jetset320
30th Dec 2006, 21:31
Glonass, your information provided is of great assistance, and I have passed it onto the base commander for dissemination.

The points you make about UMKAL and ANKON are very interesting and need further study.

Your info is highly appreciated. Thanks.:ok: