PDA

View Full Version : Keeping ICAO Licences current while studying for JAA conversion

nad
28th Dec 2006, 12:47
Hi All
Looking at the process of converting my ICAO CPL/MEIR to JAA,Ive been in the UK a while so in reality I have been looking at paying for a full CPL and IR module as my skills would be slightly corroded to say the least.
I am about to embark on the ATPL ground studies for which of course, I need to hold a valid ICAO PPL to begin.No drama says me, quick trip back home to get a Medical/BFR done on my NZ PPL licence, see family, remind myself what the big yellow thing in the sky is, then back and into my studies as I would have satisfied my interpretation of the LASORS definition of valid and current licence.
The question is, unless I complete all my ATPLS and commence(complete?) the CPL training within a year do I have to make the trip back home for another PPL BFR?
Have others who have done the CPL/MEIR conversion with minimum hours rather than flying full CPL/IR modules (25/55hrs) managed to do it all in a year or have they had to return for BFRs/IR renewals? or is there something I dont know about?
Hope someone can help, thanks in advance!:ok:
Nad

thecontroller
28th Dec 2006, 21:24
the CAA say any ICAO CPL must be "valid and current" if you are using it to convert to a JAA licence.

nad
28th Dec 2006, 22:18
Thanks T.C.
Thats the way I read it, that if you step off the plane from NZ/OZ/wherever with your valid and current ICAO CPL/MEIR then you have to complete the ATPL ground school and commence both Flight training componants within a year to take advantage of the 'hours as required for the CPL/15hrs min for the IR deal' without having to head back home for the BFR and IR renewal.
But having said that, had a chance meeting with another Kiwi who has done the conversion thing, got to speaking about best ground school,flight training,best British beer etc but not about this point and it sounded like they sat thier flight training well outside of the year since arrival in the UK(they hadnt been back for holiday/BFR in that time)
Would appreciate any feedback from any one who has been through the process.
Thanks again
Nad:ok:

Rhodes13
29th Dec 2006, 10:54
Hey Nad,

I've just finished converting from my Australian licence to a JAR one and I can only share the tips that I have learnt. As for keeping current I ran into the trouble of having my IR lapse so I rang around a few flying schools to get vedry different opinions. The general consensus was that the IR needs to be valid for the conversion of that section. Thus I had two choices, one go to Aus to do a renewal or apply to the CAA to get a dispensation to not do the full 40 hours for the IR. As for the commercial Licence I hadnt flown since Feb and it wasnt a problem.

Are you set on doing the conversion process in the UK? Under the IAA you IR could have lapsed in the last 5 years (I think) and you can still do the conversion. From what I have heard from friends that have done it in Germany its much the same there.

Hope that helps

Rhodes13