PDA

View Full Version : Anything you'd like to add Sir??

In Tor Wot
28th Dec 2006, 01:16
Following the public comments from the Chief of the General Staff, ex CGS, ex-First Sea Lord and now COMBRITFOR (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6211949.stm ), on the current state of UK's forces, I was wondering whether the current CDS or CAS would like to add to the debate?

No? Thought not. :ugh:

allan907
28th Dec 2006, 07:21
Would you please double check your link In. It seems to end up on a non-existent sports page.

Bo Nalls
28th Dec 2006, 07:25
Try this link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6211949.stm)

a ')' was included in the hyperlink at the end of the address given by In Tor Wot

allan907
28th Dec 2006, 07:59
That's better! Thanks

Chugalug2
28th Dec 2006, 08:46
Well done chaps, that's got the first post sorted, now perhaps someone might answer it? Isn't this the point where a person who knows the CAS tells us we are being very unjust, that behind the scenes he is moving heaven and earth on behalf of the RAF, and if it wasn't for his personal and tireless efforts it wouldn't be in the fine state that it is? So we'll just wait, I'm sure that they will say that soon, or something along those lines, or something else, or something, won't they....chaps?

SaddamsLoveChild
28th Dec 2006, 09:05
I think the term 'spinal jaundice' from a previous thread still applies,:\ .

Lyneham Lad
28th Dec 2006, 15:11
You can readily see from this link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=FKU531CK212ZNQFIQMFSFGGAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2006/12/28/nairsec28.xml) just what a fine upstanding pension-risking job the CAS is doing in fighting for the well-being of the troops under his command..............

snakepit
28th Dec 2006, 15:36
You can readily see from this link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=FKU531CK212ZNQFIQMFSFGGAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2006/12/28/nairsec28.xml) just what a fine upstanding pension-risking job the CAS is doing in fighting for the well-being of the troops under his command..............

Good spot LL. Its good to see that when the RAF along with all the other services is sooooo heavily commited eleswhere that this is the only story CAS can come up with to "value the service men and women of the RAF"

Antique Driver
28th Dec 2006, 15:46
Glad to see CAS has a grip on reality with this 'Cold War' fighter story (Typhoon????).

Perhaps he is just scared to show support to the AT/SH/BAI world because we're not sexy!!

:mad:

In Tor Wot
28th Dec 2006, 16:45
Perhaps he is just scared to show support to the AT/SH/BAI world because we're not sexy!! :mad:
Not only are you not sexy, but MPs write nasty things about you, the Army complain that there aren't enough of you, and of course what there is, is UUU! Not a chance of defence there - but show an F3 defending the UK (even if it is from Marham (sic)) and remember the Cold War and now we're talking :ugh:

insty66
28th Dec 2006, 23:12
[QUOTE=(even if it is from Marham (sic)) :[/QUOTE]

That's not as wrong as you think!

Yeller_Gait
28th Dec 2006, 23:48
Can't ever remember seeing the Q being at Marham in the last 3 years insty, but then we do not fly even 5 days a week, never mind the weekends :p

Y_G

glum
28th Dec 2006, 23:56

A hijack button eh? And would you push it knowing the Tornado's might be ordered to shoot you down?

Hmmm, wonder when the RAF hijack button got pushed...

insty66
29th Dec 2006, 09:41
Can't ever remember seeing the Q being at Marham in the last 3 years insty, but then we do not fly even 5 days a week, never mind the weekends :p
Y_G
Can't remember dates etc but the Eng Training people occupy a specially built facility and have been required to vacate it reasonably recently!
I don't fly at all............ blind as a fairy!

tmmorris
29th Dec 2006, 11:06
Funny, I've never heard of this 'hijack button' despite two of my best friends being airline pilots.

They couldn't mean squawking 7500, now, could they?

I enjoyed the comment on Radio 4 news yesterday that 'RAF Tornadoes are scrambled around once a month to intercept...' I'm sure it seemed more than that when I spent a week at Leeming earlier this year. ;)

Tim

airborne_artist
29th Dec 2006, 11:20
They couldn't mean squawking 7500, now, could they?

No - it's this:

http://www.isi.edu/dg-online/december01/hijack-button/header.gif

scroggs
30th Dec 2006, 12:50
A 'hijack button' exists in several newer airliners - including the ones I fly.

Scroggs

Tigs2
30th Dec 2006, 16:19
Take out the numbers! Even if the info is available, at least let the bad guys find out for themselves.

FJJP
31st Dec 2006, 09:23
And another one comes out of the closet - good for you Sir Michael Rose...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6220685.stm

ZH875
31st Dec 2006, 13:13
But why is it 'The former' most of the time, when are the chicken livered 'the current' going to speak up and look after the men, women and LGBs under their commands.:*

SamCaine
31st Dec 2006, 13:29
... when are the chicken livered 'the current' going to speak up and look after the men, women and LGBs under their commands.:*

I think this all started when the current CGS spoke up. So that'll be one then.

In Tor Wot
4th Jan 2007, 08:23
After today’s comments from the adjutant general ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6229393.stm ) about the state of accommodation, we're still deafened by the silence from the RAF's leadership. :rolleyes:

Interesting piece of footage and questions from the media though - http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/bb_wm_fs.stm?news=1&bbram=1&bbwm=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&nol_storyid=6229521

Pontius Navigator
4th Jan 2007, 08:34
After today’s comments from the adjutant general about the state of accommodation, we're still deafened by the silence from the RAF's leadership. :rolleyes:

Still on grant perhaps?
EDS IT system down?
Don't have time to read the papers?

nigegilb
4th Jan 2007, 09:23
CAS has been busy taking on the media, 4 Jan 07;
Chief Of The Air Staff Faces In-Depth Interview By Cadet

The RAF's top officer faced a tough interview session with a senior Air Cadet this week.
Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy was grilled on youth and other issues by Cadet Warrant Officer Sarah Guilfoyle, from 444 Sqn (Shoreditch) Air Training Corps for an article that will be published in “Air Cadet” - the official magazine of the Air Cadet Organisation.
Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy with Cadet Warrant Officer Sarah Guilfoyle.
His senior staff were naturally reluctant to go into too much detail ahead of publication, but were prepared to confirm the interviewed covered issues such as retention within the RAF as well as how the service regards and supports its youth organisation.
Said Sir Glenn afterwards: ”The questions were every bit as tough as I'd expect from a Fleet-st journalist. Sarah certainly kept me on my toes.”
The interview between CAS and Sarah, who at 20 was on her last day as an air cadet, was arranged following a recent speech by Under Secretary of State for Defence Derek Twigg to the annual dinner of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) Association. He told the Association that the CCF was “a huge success story”.

BellEndBob
4th Jan 2007, 10:34
So, a Fast Jet Pilot who is only interested in other pilots and fast jets. His (only) priority is playing with the very latest toy. He then decides to talk to a young girlie. FFS, why are you all so surprised?

No longer an Air Force, just another flying club.

brakedwell
4th Jan 2007, 10:45
But why is it 'The former' most of the time, when are the chicken livered 'the current' going to speak up and look after the men, women and LGBs under their commands.:*

Because their own careers have always been more important! :eek:

OC 444
10th Jan 2007, 08:19
Bell End Bob

I am sure it was not intended but the reference to Cadet Warrant Officer in the article as a girlie in one of the replies to the post about the about interview could be considered by some as a little offensive.

For all you know, the young woman in question could actually be an accomplished cadet, achieving many successes, undertaking overseas trips to Mongolia, Iceland and other.

She may even be a student at a leading London university studying for a Degree in engineering.

In fact, for all you know ahe may also be an Officer Cadet in the OTC, who is also now giving up her time to help young people in the East end of London now she has fisnished cadet service.

Just making the point.

10th Jan 2007, 08:35
OC444 thanks for trivialising the thread with some pointless PC cobblers.

BellEndBob
10th Jan 2007, 08:47
My point was the man seems more interested in showboating than dealing with the issues. I am increasingly fed up with people who are more interested in presentation than content, your post is a prime example.:* Do you notice that, in the media now, all references to the 'Armed Forces' are centred on the Army. That is because they are being vocal and rattling a few cages.

Our silence is almost deafening.