PDA

View Full Version : Morecambe Bay helo down

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 19:32
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1245331,00.html?f=dta
A major sea rescue attempt is under way, a spokesman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said.
It is believed that a number of crew are missing. The area is being scoured by rescuers for survivors.
Michael Mulford, of the Royal Air Force Rescue Centre, said contact with the helicopter was lost at about 6pm and it was believed to have crashed in the water.
He told Sky News: "It is a major search and rescue operation at this point.
"We are looking for seven people who are almost certainly going to be in the water."
There were no immediate details on what type of helicopter it was or who was aboard.
Mr Mulford said rescue planes and boats had been dispatched to search for the wreckage and any survivors in the large bay just east of the Isle of Man.
He said: "It is generally calm and relatively quiet there. What we have are good searching conditions, albeit it is dark.
"It is bound to be very cold in the water at this point."

From the Beeb:-
The aircraft is said to have been ferrying personnel from the gas field in the Lancashire bay.
A search for survivors involving two RAF rescue helicopters, lifeboats, coastguard crews and a rig support vessel is under way.
The daughter of one rig worker said he had phoned his wife to say the helicopter crashed at about 1740 GMT.
The helicopter crashed in the Irish sea en route to the gas rig platform in the bay.
Two helicopter crew members and five rig workers are now thought to be missing.
Michael Mulford, from the Royal Air Force Rescue Centre, said contact with the helicopter was lost at around 6pm and it is believed to have crashed into the water.
He told Sky News: "We are looking for seven people who are almost certainly going to be in the water."
It is understood that the helicopter crashed 20 miles off the Lancashire coast.
Mr Mulford added: "What we have are good searching conditions, albeit it is dark. It is bound to be very cold in the water at this point."

Ioan
27th Dec 2006, 19:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6213141.stm

seems no more news yet

doshgone
27th Dec 2006, 20:02
Have heard that it was a 365n from Blackpool operated by CHC.

MightyGem
27th Dec 2006, 20:23
Very sad news indeed. :(

The Hustler
27th Dec 2006, 21:08
BBC TV News @ 22:05 just said that "the Police reported five bodies have been recovered" :(

theavionicsbloke
27th Dec 2006, 21:08
Unconfirmed at present , but reports from local news agency that 5 bodies recovered.

RIP....

HeliEng
27th Dec 2006, 21:17
Such sad news.

My condolences to all families, and so close to Christmas.

Helieng

flying_tyger
27th Dec 2006, 21:22
I just saw the news and wanted to pass my condolences to all involved. :(

Curtis E Carr
27th Dec 2006, 21:25
Requiescant in Pace.

Brilliant Stuff
27th Dec 2006, 21:27
My condolences to everyone my heart goes out to all the guys and girls at the heliport, they must be working very hard at this moment and hoping against hope. I can only hope they did not suffer.

I am thinking of you all.

sox6
27th Dec 2006, 21:29
At twenty minutes to seven this evening, Liverpool Coastguard received a distress call from the Rig Support Vessel Highland Sprite working in a gas field in the East Irish sea.

The vessel reported a helicopter ditching in the sea near one of the rigs. The helicopter had seven people on board; two crew and five passengers.
The Highland Sprite deployed its two fast rescue craft immediately to the position of the ditched helicopter.
Liverpool Coastguard requested a helicopter to be scrambled from RAF Valley; rescue helicopter R122 was quickly airborne.
Fleetwood and barrow RNLI lifeboats were also requested to launch to search the area.
CHC Helicopter Corporation - European Operations can confirm that there has been an incident involving one of its Eurocopter AS365N type aircraft near a platform in the East Irish Sea,
The appropriate authorities have been informed and the companys emergency response team has been mobilised. Further details will be released when more information becomes available.

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 21:47
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6213141.stm
Five bodies have been recovered from the sea following a helicopter crash off Morecambe Bay, police have said.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1245331,00.html
Police confirmed that five bodies had been found. The area is still being scoured by rescuers for survivors.

RIP
Thanks to those who tried to save these souls (and probably recovered their bodies).

kissmysquirrel
27th Dec 2006, 21:58
6 bodies now recovered! Tomorrows papers already reporting 7 dead!! Jeez.
Thoughts with their families right now.
RIP

DeltaFree
27th Dec 2006, 22:02
Very sad news. My thoughts go out to friends and family of those involved.
So far this thread has stayed away from speculation, please keep it that way. It is best for all involved.

kissmysquirrel
27th Dec 2006, 22:06
No doubt the rumour mongers on tv and those 'experts' will spout more than enough sh*te!
Just very sad and too close to home, and not what you wish to hear about at anytime, more so at this time of year.:(

an 'expert' on Sky news reporting that safety training is done using 'makeshift' helicopter in a swimming pool. No doubt the media will have the cause discovered before morning.

crewman 355
27th Dec 2006, 22:11
Tragic news and a sad loss, condolences to all involved.

DeltaFree
27th Dec 2006, 22:15
What about the daughter on BBC article stating how dangerous the helicopters are, even changing winds make them dangerous! I do wish such comments would not be used by reputable news companies. The guys at Blackpool are very experienced and very capable pilots. Any form of transport has inherent dangers. So it would be great to get a proper accurate account from someone who knows their stuff, rather than a relative of a passenger who has heard him talk about helicopters.

seanwuk
27th Dec 2006, 22:21
Just terrible news, and a very sad loss condolences to the families, my thoughts to all the ground crew.

magbreak
27th Dec 2006, 22:24
Another tragic evening for the helicopter community. Condolenses to all those affected by this incident, including the guys at CHC Blackpool.
Agree with you 100% deltafree. It would also be better if they did their homework and got the correct library pictures out of the archieves.

pitpilot
27th Dec 2006, 22:28
What terrible news, my heart goes out ot the crew, passengers and their families.

RIP

VeeAny
27th Dec 2006, 22:28
What a tragic loss, condolences to the families and friends.

V.

Justintime80
27th Dec 2006, 22:30
Thoughts are with the Family's and with CHC.

SASless
27th Dec 2006, 22:43
I became acquainted with many of the CHC folks last year and know them to be very fine people. My thoughts and prayers go out for those lost and their loved ones and friends.

This tragedy reminds us of the uncertainty of life. That is why we should always take that bit of time each day to make sure our families know how much we care about them, especially your little ones.

Bravo 99
27th Dec 2006, 22:47
deepest condolancies, and my thoughts go out to all the families of the crew and pax on board
I flew with the guys at blackpool I am stunned.

RIP to All concerned

sox6
27th Dec 2006, 22:57
My condolences also.

SBV Highland Sprite has been joined by Clwyd Supporter and Highland Supporter from the Douglas & Hamilton fields further south:

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/showship.php?mmsi=234924000

unstable load
27th Dec 2006, 23:08
My sympathies to all involved.
Tragic thing to have happen anytime, let alone now.

theavionicsbloke
27th Dec 2006, 23:14
condolences

Has any one heard as to whether there was a MAYDAY or PAN call ??

sox6
27th Dec 2006, 23:16
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6306265,00.html

At a press conference at Blackpool Airport, Detective Superintendent Mick Gradwell, of Lancashire Constabulary, said: "The coastguard is co-ordinating a massive search in Morecambe Bay after reports of a helicopter ditching 24 miles offshore. The helicopter had been travelling around various gas rigs.

"I am sad to say at the moment we have recovered six bodies and the search continues for the outstanding person."

Police issued an emergency telephone number for relatives to contact - 01772 410 772/410774.

Mr Gradwell said conditions at sea were very cold, but not very foggy.

He said a number of people from a drilling platform had witnessed the helicopter ditching into the sea.

He said the witnesses were being brought back to the mainland to be interviewed as investigators attempted to establish the cause of the crash.

Graphic of fields:
http://www.centrica.co.uk/files/jpeg/map_morecambe_bay.jpg

Chugalug2
27th Dec 2006, 23:21
I am retired, ex RAF/Airline pilot, fixed wing only, and despite parallel threads running on those Forums feel it more appropriate to post to this one. Thoughts very much for those families and loved ones now bereaved. A tragedy made more poignant at a time of year meant for the happiness of children and the reuniting of families. May the ones so cruelly struck down by this tragedy find the strength and courage to bear it and the support to see it through. My sincere condolences.

sox6
27th Dec 2006, 23:43
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article2108207.ece

Extracts:

It had taken off from Blackpool airport at 6pm but lost contact at around 6.30pm shortly after sending a distress signal.

Lancashire Police said the aircraft had landed on two platforms and was making its way to a third gas rig when it ditched into the sea. Police said the helicopter had been bringing workers back to shore and believed it was making its last call at the drilling platform.

Police said that six bodies had been recovered at 11pm by rescue teams, who were continuing their search for the missing person last night. It was not disclosed if the missing person was a crew member or passenger.

CHC Helicopter Corporation, which operated the downed Eurocopter AS365N, said the incident had occurred at approximately 6.35pm.

According to the shipping forecast issued by the Met Office, sea conditions in Morecambe Bay at the time had been "moderate". The winds had been light and visibility was good.

In a statement, Centrica said: "We are contacting all families connected with our Morecambe Bay gas fields and express our thoughts for the relatives of those missing at this time."

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
27th Dec 2006, 23:50
I am so sorry to hear that these guys have met such a cruel end in a very unforgiving sea
My thoughts to family, friends and collegues
back in October I had the pleasure in watching them operating from Blackpool and thinking how impressive and powerful they sounded as they crossed the coast inbound to the field

G-I-B

Ron Fenest
27th Dec 2006, 23:59
A very sad day, my thoughts are with the families of those lost, fingers and toes crossed that one comes home.

Garfs
28th Dec 2006, 00:04
Just want to pass my condolences too.

RIP

Garfs

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 00:33
Wednesday, December 27, 2006, Vancouver, B.C., Canada: CHC Helicopter Corporation ("CHC") (TSX: FLY.A and FLY.B; NYSE: FLI) regrets to confirm that one of its Eurocopter AS365N type aircraft crashed in the East Irish Sea at approximately 1835 hours, UK time today (Wednesday December 27, 2006). Six bodies have now been recovered from the area. The emergency services are presently continuing their search for the remaining person involved. The aircraft was carrying five passengers and two crew.
CHC President and Chief Executive Officer Sylvain Allard said: "All of us are deeply, deeply saddened by this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and we are doing everything we can to help with the Search and Rescue operation. This is a small community and these are our friends and family. "
The accident happened near the North Morecambe platform, on a flight from the Millom West platform to the North Morecambe platform. CHC is liaising closely with the authorities in the ongoing search. Further details will be released when more information becomes available.

flying bizzie
28th Dec 2006, 00:37
My sincere condolences.

R.I.P.

Dangagan
28th Dec 2006, 02:27
What a tragic loss. May the Good Lord grant their loved Ones and all the Guys ay CHC the fortitude to bear this great loss. Take one day at a time guys and appreciate each and every day to the full.

albatross
28th Dec 2006, 03:38
My thoughts are with the family and friends of those lost.
I can only thank those who tried to and are helping in this tragic event.
May those lost rest in peace.
May those bereaved find comfort and strength in the memories of their loved ones.

I am sure all of our prayers are with them this night.

ppheli
28th Dec 2006, 04:47
CHC have understandably put out a press release, but temporarily lost where Morecambe Bay is - the title (thus repeated on newswires globally) is "CHC regrets to announce fatal accident in North Sea", managing to correct themselves in the ful text of the release:-

Wednesday, December 27, 2006, Vancouver, B.C., Canada: CHC Helicopter Corporation ("CHC") (TSX: FLY.A and FLY.B; NYSE: FLI) regrets to confirm that one of its Eurocopter AS365N type aircraft crashed in the East Irish Sea at approximately 1835 hours, UK time today (Wednesday December 27, 2006). Six bodies have now been recovered from the area. The emergency services are presently continuing their search for the remaining person involved. The aircraft was carrying five passengers and two crew.

CHC President and Chief Executive Officer Sylvain Allard said: "All of us are deeply, deeply saddened by this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and we are doing everything we can to help with the Search and Rescue operation. This is a small community and these are our friends and family. "

The accident happened near the North Morecambe platform, on a flight from the Millom West platform to the North Morecambe platform. CHC is liaising closely with the authorities in the ongoing search. Further details will be released when more information becomes available.

For media and other inquiries, please contact:
Chris Flanagan, Director of Communications
CHC Helicopter Corporation
778-999-3175

rotorrookie
28th Dec 2006, 04:58
High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

My sincere condolences to the families and friends.:sad:

ROTORVATION
28th Dec 2006, 06:20
Very sad news. My condolences to all the families and employees at CHC and the gas field workers.

Everyone at Blackpool airport is thinking of you at this time.

The Last Black Shed
28th Dec 2006, 06:47
My heart is heavy this morning having just caught up with the news. It seems all the more poignant to lose loved ones at this time of year. I would like to add my sympathies to those expressed here and elsewhere on Pprune and to say that my thoughts and prayers are with those grieving. There are no words that can heal the loss, but perhaps the knowledge that many people care may bring a little comfort.
May your God bless you.
The Last Black Shed

BobbyBolkow
28th Dec 2006, 07:45
I agree with Wirlybird. Aviation is an incestuous industry. We all know of someone, or somebody knows somebody,etc, etc. Incidents like this affect us all in one way or another.
I was lucky enough to work out of Blackpool in the old Bond days, and it was a fine set-up with some wonderful people working there. I feel great sadness at their loss.
Through the grapevine I have an unconfirmed report that one of the crew was a mate of mine, which compounds my feelings.
I send my condolences to all concerned, and hope the press keep to facts and not digress to realms of fantasy and hearsay, which would do great damage to our industry.
Aviation is unforgiving,
It is not a human craft.
We merely borrow it from the gods,
and the gods are unforgiving.
BB.

thecontroller
28th Dec 2006, 07:58
not wishing to start speculating. just a general related question, from someone who has never flown offshore.

would an aircraft like this have floats? or is that just the larger superpuma? when ditching in the sea, what is the biggest danger? not getting out quick enough, or the aircraft turning over? or the high impact speed?

Brilliant Stuff
28th Dec 2006, 08:24
not wishing to start speculating. just a general related question, from someone who has never flown offshore.
would an aircraft like this have floats? or is that just the larger superpuma? when ditching in the sea, what is the biggest danger? not getting out quick enough, or the aircraft turning over? or the high impact speed?

It has floats which keep it up right in a still sea. The law says if you are operating commercially over the sea and you can not autorotate safely to land you need to have floats and lifevests.They also have two dinhgys on board for 15 people a piece. Not to mention the Emergency locator beacons.

The impact speed should not be to high it all depends in what part of the flight you are ditching. If you are planning on ditching then the speed will be minimal.

The Captains flying out of Blackpool are all proper hightime pilots and they all have been doing that particular job for more than 8 years at a minimum.

I won't say anymore except they are sorely missed!!!!

Hilico
28th Dec 2006, 08:41
Daily Mirror - in a change from its usual subterranean standard - has a picture of not only the correct type in its 28-Dec-06 edition, but the actual aircraft on a previous flight, which Michael Mulford of the RAF Rescue Centre indicates is G-BLUN.
RIP

Brilliant Stuff
28th Dec 2006, 08:47
G-BLUN.

I can confirm that.

G-SPOTs Lost
28th Dec 2006, 09:26
Good God

"Golf Uniform November you are cleared for the east about the tower"

very close to home this one

A very sad day, a very professional bunch of people, thoughts are with the families. Its difficult to remember how unforgiving this kind of operation is when you have people of this calibre making it seem so safe for literally decades without incident.

My condolences to the families

cyclicoyibo
28th Dec 2006, 09:55
I also worked on that contract for some time and know what a professional outfit it is from top to bottom. My heart goes out to all involved, especially to the bereaved families.

Rest in Peace.

God bless you all.

G-CPTN
28th Dec 2006, 10:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214283.stm
Police said the pilots who died were Stephen Potton, from Blackpool and Simon Foddering from Preston.
Passengers Robert Warburton from Heysham, Leslie Ahmed from South Shields, John Shaw from Kirkcaldy and Alfred Neasham from Durham also died.
A further passenger, Keith Smith from Stockton-on-Tees, is still missing.
God rest their souls.

bondu
28th Dec 2006, 10:25
I worked out of Blackpool on a different operation, although I do know some of the CHC guys, mainly the ex-Bond ones.
My condolences to the families and to everyone else concerned with the CHC operation at Blackpool.

RIP

bondu

Thomas coupling
28th Dec 2006, 10:44
Steve Potton was the Blackpool Chief Pilot, I believe. Fodders used to fly next door to us at the West Wales Air Ambulance. A larger than life, giant of a bloke who was a pleasure to be around.

A calm but very black night last night in the area. Goldfish bowl territory.

RIP guys.

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 10:55
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=449439

Barrow lifeboat spokes man Tom Collins said this morning: “The life boat has been out since 6.45pm. We did not play any part in recovering the deceased but the Barrow lifeboat has recovered two life rafts and various bits of equipment from the crashed helicopter.

There is further information from medics involved (eg no LJs infalted). All suggests this was not a controlled ditching.

212man
28th Dec 2006, 10:55
Very very sad news. RIP

TipCap
28th Dec 2006, 10:56
Very sad news. My heart felt condolences to all affected.

I worked for CHC for a year and though I was on the Puma Fleet I did get to know the occasional Dauphin Pilot that popped in by Aberdeen.

FredFri
28th Dec 2006, 11:08
Sad news.
My thoughts go to the families.

R.I.P :(

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 11:12
In memory of Simon Foddering:

http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=73&ArticleID=1948266

and

http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=73&ArticleID=1948890

tomotomp
28th Dec 2006, 11:25
A very sad loss of a very dear friend RIP Steve.

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 11:39
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2108490.ece
Extracts:

Detective Superintendent Mick Gradwell, of Lancashire Constabulary, said the helicopter left Blackpool at about 6pm. It flew to one rig, picked up a number of people, then flew to a second rig and was on its way to a third when it plunged into the sea.

It was 500 yards from the third rig when it "reared to the left" before ditching in the sea. Three people witnessed the aircraft's horrifying final moments.

Keith Mullett, from helicopter company CHC Scotia, said Mr Potton was the company's chief pilot in the area and described him as "extremely experienced".

An investigation by the Air Accident Investigation Board (AAIB) has been launched.

Chief pilot Mr Potton, 51, had been with CHC Scotia for more than 20 years.

Mr Foddering, 33, was a senior first officer, who had been with the company for just over a year but was an experienced pilot in his own right, the helicopter firm said.

Centrica chief executive Mr Laidlaw said the four dead passengers all worked for the firm. The missing man, Mr Smith, worked for another firm, Costain Petrofac.
"This is the first major incident to affect our operations in Morecambe Bay since they began 21 years ago."

Coastguard manager Steve Travis said the search for the missing rig worker had been hampered by poor weather conditions and fog, and the current operation was searching a 32 square mile area.

CHC Scotia managing director Mr Mullett said the safety record of the Eurocopter the men were in was "excellent" and there were no concerns over the craft.

No mayday was sent by the craft before it ditched into the sea.

There was "substantial" wreckage after the helicopter went down. The onboard flight data recorder, or black box, has a beacon attached, and investigators are in the process of locating it.

tall and tasty
28th Dec 2006, 11:41
Watched this unfold on the lae News last night when they only had found 6 bodies.

One of the most tragic things for any famiy to endure and this time of year even worst for all those who lost a family member, friend or work collegue.

Also the rescue emergency services.

My thoughts and prayers for anyone who may have lost someone one in this tragedy last night

TnT :(

chester2005
28th Dec 2006, 11:46
Condolances to all concerned

Tragic news RIP

Chester:(

wg13_dummy
28th Dec 2006, 11:49
All I can say is gutted.

I knew Simon very well from his time in the Army Air Corps and a nicer man you could not have met.

RIP and thoughts to all the families.

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 12:06
After conducting a search pattern to the NE of the accident site all morning, one of the SBVs, Grampian Supporter, has returned towards the Hamiton field. The other two have moved the search further west.

Hummingfrog
28th Dec 2006, 12:09
As a Dauphine pilot it was with a great deal of disbelief that I heard the news last night of one of our 365Ns crashing off Blackpool. My initial thought was that it can't be true, yet unfortunately it is with the tragic loss of life.

It is difficult to put into words what I and most of my colleagues are feeling except a deep sense of loss of a very professional crew, along with their passengers.

Although never based at Blackpool I have flown there and will always remember the smiling face of SP and the help he always gave me even though I was normally only there for a base check. I never met SF but my condolonces go to both his and SP's families.

I am sure that I speak for all of the CHC Dauphine and pilot community in saying that SP and SF will be greatly missed and our thoughts are with their families.

HF

Brilliant Stuff
28th Dec 2006, 12:14
Steve was a fantastic Chief Pilot, I felt very well looked after by him. He was doing a very difficult job, fortunately he had wicked sense of humour.

RIP my dear friend.

CH274
28th Dec 2006, 12:15
Very sad news, condolences

Tappers Dad
28th Dec 2006, 12:47
My thoughts go to the families I know how you are feeling I lost my son in the Nimrod crash in September. Be strong and be proud .

RIP

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 13:04
From The Sun: wreckage from is carried off the Fleetwood Lifeboat

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2006600519,00.jpg

pedroalpha
28th Dec 2006, 13:24
Steve - you were a good and dependable friend. I am so sorry.

BobbyBolkow
28th Dec 2006, 14:44
Now both names have been released, It's nice to see so many good memories and thoughts being posted.
I knew Steve more many years and had many headaches to prove it! A more gentle man you could not wish to meet. And, yes! he had a wicked sense of humour and a wonderful sense of fun.
Simon I knew through his EMS work. A gentle giant, larger than life, and by his own admission "absolutly Barking!"
Both will be sorely missed.
Rest in peace guys.
BB

SASless
28th Dec 2006, 14:47
Did Simon fly EMS out of Blackpool before going to CHC?

Brilliant Stuff
28th Dec 2006, 15:04
Yes he did SASless

Ray Stawynch
28th Dec 2006, 15:44
Like all others, total disbelief at this tragic loss to both the crew and passengers.

RIP, fellow aviators, and my thoughts are with all the families concerned at this terrible time.

RS

SASless
28th Dec 2006, 17:14
I recall showing Simon the Huey at Blackpool....him set in the seat...with a big ol' smile....telling me of his hope to be hired on at CHC.

At times like this I like to pick up my copy of "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernie Gann and read a few pages....somehow, I find it helpful.

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 17:52
The search for the 7th person has been called off (for the evening?).
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-12-28T172216Z_01_L27581515_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BRITAIN-HELICOPTER.xml

By 16:30/17:00 both SBVs have turned south.

Its 24 hours on and water temperature must be below 5C.

STANDTO
28th Dec 2006, 18:05
When I lived on the Fylde Coast, much of my formative love of all things rotary was built on watching the big red Dauphins of Bond fly over the house on their way in and out of the rigs from Blackpool. A superb sight and sound.

Not only a big dint in the safety record of the Morecambe Bay operation, but it is the massive family cost that just can't be comprehended. Having spent quite a bit of this year talking to bereaved families following road deaths, all I can say is if you know any of them, just be there for them. Don't wait for an invitation, just get round there and do what you can for them.

It makes it all the more bewildering in aviation these days when you look at its incredible safety record. I am really sorry to hear this news. There is always a tragedy this time of year, and doubtless this is it.

God bless guys. Both the pilots and pax were ordinary men doing extraordinary things.

Aser
28th Dec 2006, 18:10
What a sad day... I was getting ready to fly this morningn when I saw the news...

R.I.P. :(

Take care...

gizmocat
28th Dec 2006, 18:11
RIP to all.

IB4138
28th Dec 2006, 18:21
Not the circumstances in which I wanted to see a picture of my wife's step brother...carrying wreckage off the Fleetwood lifeboat, where he is a crew member.
Condolences to all who have lost loved ones.

G-CPTN
28th Dec 2006, 18:44
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6215273.stm

Raincheck
28th Dec 2006, 18:45
I knew Steve Potton many years ago in German (when he was much younger) a happy and friendly guy. Sad news and condolences to his family and all lost in the incident. Safe journey to the stars.

soggyboxers
28th Dec 2006, 19:01
Sadly, I've only just heard about this tragic accident which shows yet again that no matter how much safer aviation has become over the yeard it is still an unforgivingly dangerous occupation to be in.
My sincere condolences to all the families of those who have died in this crash and may the souls of those departed Rest in Peace.

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 19:11
Was Steve Potton due to move to Aberdeen next month?

READY MESSAGE
28th Dec 2006, 19:53
Fodders was one of the original voices of Helimed 61 when the base established at Caernarfon. An all round top chap and, as mentioned, 'absolutely barking'. He will be missed by all who knew & worked with him.
Condolences to all families and friends.

MaxReheat
28th Dec 2006, 20:01
Just thinking about the survivability of a crash such as this (aside form the initial impact) is it SOP for the passengers to wear immersion suits on the Morecombe Bay flights?

Ian Wall
28th Dec 2006, 20:10
I am so deeply saddened to hear the terrible news.
My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to all those that have been taken by this tragedy. Condolences to all families, loved ones and friends.
My thoughts also go to the very many people at the heliport and hanger who have been left to try and continue in these difficult times.
Thinking of you.
Ian Wall

G-CPTN
28th Dec 2006, 20:18
Just thinking about the survivability of a crash such as this (aside form the initial impact) is it SOP for the passengers to wear immersion suits on the Morecombe Bay flights?
Immersion suits (and lifejackets) are worn on ALL (rig) flights over water. This aspect has been stressed by the CHC company representatives. Recovery crews say that the lifejackets weren't inflated, and that all fatalities were due to impact injuries and not drowning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6213719.stm
"Even if the helicopter turned upside down, all the people that travel in these things get trained in a 'dunker', which is basically a cage in a swimming pool where they practise escape. They would all have wetsuits, they would all have life-jackets."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214283.stm

silverhawk
28th Dec 2006, 20:19
Of course, and all off-shore staff undergo intensive training before being allowed out to a rig to work. The 'oilies' are much better trained for a ditching than most full-time fixed wing flightdeck and cabin crew.

A very sad day. My heart bled tonight when I was able to kiss my kids goodnight. To the bereaved, our thoughts are with you.

IntheTin
28th Dec 2006, 20:41
How very sad. This world is so unforgiving. I hope they have all gone to a better place. RIP. :(

paddyboy
28th Dec 2006, 21:40
Condolences to all involved.

Knew both aircrew well and as usual, hopefully something can be learned and improved so a few less families have to suffer such sadness.

RIP

TBirdFrank
28th Dec 2006, 21:56
Why do the good guys always go too soon???

Looking at these heartfelt tributes from people who really knew these people is heartbreaking, especially at this season.

Graviman
28th Dec 2006, 22:26
Condolences to the famillies involved. A very sad thing to happen at any time of year.

whoateallthepies
29th Dec 2006, 00:50
It's many years since I last saw Steve.

We flew a (then Bond) Super Puma to Blackpool in '87. The Tory party conference was on and we were tasked with flying 19 Conservative MPs out to the Morecambe bay rigs for a "look see". They were like a bunch of excited schoolkids.

The next day we were tasked with taking Mr Cecil Parkinson and his entourage out. I just remember the press were keen to photograph him in his rubber survival suit and he was not so keen! When we got back to Blackpool, shut down and Steve opened the cabin door he was given a wonderfully patronising "Well done" from the pompous git.

Really enjoyed that task away from Aberdeen, Steve. Knew you enjoyed being Blackpool Chief Pilot. RIP

SilsoeSid
29th Dec 2006, 03:33
It is with a heavy heart that I post for the first time in nearly a year, having just found out that Simon was one of those who died in this tragic incident.

I got to know Simon pretty well, not only at work, but also having played Hockey in Gutersloh together for a good couple of years, including both the Cyprus and Australia tours with the 1 Regt AAC squad. (The Australia Tour photo just so happened to be on the desk in front of me ready to go back up after a bit of decorating, when I read his name, just to make it a real kick in the nads!)

Without doubt a larger than life character in all senses of the phrase and always good to be around both at work and play.
I know 'Mrs Sid' will also be upset when I tell her in the morning.

RIP my friend, 'til later.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/hockeyaus.jpg

madherb
29th Dec 2006, 05:44
At times like this I like to pick up my copy of "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernie Gann and read a few pages....somehow, I find it helpful.

I'm sure EKG would not mind a few of his words being set down, so............

"This is not a war story - and yet it is. Any tale in which the protagonists are so seriously harassed that they may lose their lives, demands an enemy capable of destruction.
......the war continues as you read these words and must prevail as long as man strives for progress"

"Fate is the Hunter"

Ernst K. Gann 1961

There but for..............

RIP fellow aviators.

M

DeltaFree
29th Dec 2006, 07:00
A calm but very black night last night in the area. Goldfish bowl territory. Thank you for that TC!

Not a very helpful quote. This type of speculation can only lead to grief. Until you have facts do not jump to conclusions especially ones that suggest two fine aviators may have some responsibility for the crash. I knew one pilot well, by all accounts the other is also a well respected pilot. Both pilots have flown in much worse conditions, so I don't expect a calm dark night would be a problem to them.

Up & Away
29th Dec 2006, 08:09
Steve started with Bond on Offshore support on the AS332 at ABZ.
He always made those long flights that much more enjoyable with his sense of humour.
That was over 20 years ago!!
Sad news..My condolences..

sox6
29th Dec 2006, 09:50
Hunt for FDR delayeddue to bad weather
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6215935.stm

"Ideally, the search today (Friday) would focus on finding the black box, but it looks as though the weather will curtail that," he said. He said the Met Office had forecast force six to eight winds, occasionally rising to severe gale force nine for the next 24 hours, with the following day seeing force six to eight, increasing to storm 10 at times.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/77682.html

Keith Mullett, from helicopter company CHC Scotia, said both pilots were experienced. He said the firm operated five Eurocopter AS365N helicopters – known as the "Dauphin" – in Europe, and the aircraft's safety record and performance in the fleet had been "excellent". Mr Mullett said it was "extremely difficult" to say at this stage what may have happened.

"The amount of information we have is extremely limited, the investigation is in its early stages. It is much too early to say or to speculate at all about what could have happened," he said.

A spokesman said that there was a stringent routine maintenance schedule approved by the CAA and in light of the accident a number of additional routine checks, including visual inspections of critical areas, were being carried out on their fleet.

Any idea what these extra checks are?

More wreckage brought ashore

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/photo/photo-x-$13992$180.jpg

Flowers on a seaman's statue pay tribute to the victims of the helicopter crash in the Irish Sea. Photograph: John Giles/PA

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2006/12/28/tributes.jpg

Further tributes to Steve from local newspapers
http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=62&ArticleID=1949745
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=73&ArticleID=1949479

Blackburn Cathedral has confirmed that special prayers will be said for the victims, including Preston father-of-two Simon Foddering, twice daily throughout the holiday period. Services will be held at 10.30am and 3pm throughout the next few days.

Brilliant Stuff
29th Dec 2006, 11:51
Was Steve Potton due to move to Aberdeen next month?

No that would be the senior training captain.

My thoughts are with all of you, whether you are at the pearly gates, on the central or at the heliport. You are all STARS.

MINself
29th Dec 2006, 12:31
A very sad day indeed and my thoughts go out to all those families and friends touched by this tragedy.

I only knew Simon Foddering, I first met him when I was posted to Northern Ireland.

He was a one of those pilots who you enjoyed being crewed with, he was such a jovial person full of banter. He was a very knowledgeable and skillful pilot, a safe hand who was often asked to mentor the new pilots posted in. I have spent many sorties staring out at the ground through the roof window of a Lynx whilst carrying out rapid descents into security bases with Simon and his big smiling face at the controls.

The world will be less happier place without you.

RIP Simon.

helidriver
29th Dec 2006, 12:59
Si,

You are already sorely missed. I remember the banter we used to have whilst on many duties at R850. This continued on my many trips across the water where your hospitality at Bond ensured a home from home for visiting Army Aircrew, not to mention the odd civvy who would be lounging in 'your' chair whilst you had a call out!

RIP, my friend.

h:(

happysod1412
29th Dec 2006, 17:44
We both came from the same Infantry Regiment to the AAC, great bloke to be around with!!

FLIGHT IS FREEDOM IN IT'S PUREST FORM,
TO DANCE WITH THE CLOUDS, WHICH FOLLOW A STORM;
TO ROLL AND GLIDE, TO WHEEL AND SPIN;
TO FEEL THE JOY THAT SWELLS WITHIN;
TO LEAVE THE EARTH WITH ITS TROUBLES AND FLY,
AND KNOW THE WARMTH OF A CLEAR SPRING SKY;
THEN BACK TO EARTH AT THE END OF THE DAY,
RELEASED FROM THE TENSIONS WHICH MELTED AWAY.
SHOULD MY END COME WHILE I AM IN FLIGHT,
WHETHER BRIGHTEST DAY OR DARKEST NIGHT;
SPARE ME YOUR PITY AND SHRUG OFF THE PAIN,
SECURE IN THE KNOWLEDGE, THAT I'D DO IT AGAIN;
FOR EACH OF US IS CREATED TO DIE,
AND WITHIN ME I KNOW,
I WAS BORN TO FLY

RIP friend

rufus.t.firefly
29th Dec 2006, 23:32
I knew both Steve and Simon in close working relationship , both true
friends and professionals who will be greatly missed by all at their Blackpool base.

Two lives gone with so much more to give the helicopter community

Thanks for your dedication to the operation at Blackpool ....... wherever you both are now in the afterlife .... wishing you clear skies up there

RIP

:sad: :sad: :sad:

(Happiness is the sound of a Dauphin flying )

sox6
31st Dec 2006, 16:35
The press, well the Sun at least, are now making something of EAD 2006–0258 /ASB 05.00.54 issued in a few months ago following some speculation that is down to David Learmouth (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185964&pp=15)I believe

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006600483,00.html

Helicopter doctor
2nd Jan 2007, 01:11
Does anyone have anymore news on this accident?
For info, the AD referred to did not affect the N model, only later N1, N2 and N3 with different T/R and gearbox.

the beater
2nd Jan 2007, 02:47
The press, well the Sun at least, are now making something of EAD 2006–0258 /ASB 05.00.54 issued in a few months ago following some speculation that is down to David Learmouth (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185964&pp=15)I believe
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006600483,00.html
Does it matter?
All that the public will be interested in is that vital maintenance was apparently not carried out. Once in print it's too late; it doesn't concern them that it isn't relevant to that model of dauphin, or if it is whether it was carried out or not. I could speculate on the cause of the crash, and I would be surprised if I was not at least as informed as the person talking to the tabloid press, but speculation is all that it would be and as such would not help the industry or the publics' understanding. I know that the media needs to find experts to add weight to their reporting, but any aviation professional would leave it to the true professionals (the AAIB) to come up with facts. This type of reporting will only hurt those that are close to the accident who are, no doubt, agonising over whether there was anything that they did that may have contributed.

A few years ago an accident occured on the 'West Navion' where one of the helicopter pilots was badly injured. The official report apportioned no blame to the crewmembers, but industry 'experts' (who I believe had no experience of North Sea helicopter operations) accused them of not following best practice. The only reason that I mention this is that I have a feeling that there may be a connection here.

tomotomp
2nd Jan 2007, 07:05
Anyone Know when the funerals are in particular Steve Potton.

Lionel Sole
2nd Jan 2007, 09:24
Aviation "Experts" - don't you just love them?

Some years ago, after a serious incident in which I was involved, our local "expert" went on national television stating that my version of events couldn't possibly have happened and that I and my company were obviously trying to cover something up.

I considered suing him for all that he was worth but decided that I had little use in my life for a pile of sticky Pilot magazines and a soiled anorak.

LS

snoopy1
2nd Jan 2007, 19:04
As a family member of SP we will know date of funeral tomorrow (03/01) and will update this forum with details. FAO tomothomp, please contact CHC at Blackpool for SP's home tel number and ring us - need to speak with you.

To all who have left such kind words, poems and wishes: you have given the whole family additional strength to carry on through this difficult time. Our hearts and wishes are with the other family members. It takes but a moment to write a simple message and each of you have given your time freely. May the sky always remain above and beneath you all.

fkelly
2nd Jan 2007, 20:28
Lionel - his initials wouldn't be JF would they?

212man
2nd Jan 2007, 23:53
FK, I would say so: the 'anorak' gives it away!

tomotomp
3rd Jan 2007, 10:37
FAO tomothomp, please contact CHC at Blackpool for SP's home tel number and ring us - need to speak with you.

Done see you soon

FLICKINGFIREFLY
3rd Jan 2007, 13:47
What terrible news, brought a tear to my eye. I knew Si Fodds very well and what a top chap. Spent many hours with Si especially in South Armagh and also as a neighbour. Last met up with Si when I popped into North Wales for a coffee and as always larger than life and a true gent, even offered me his lunch when they were called on a shout. My heart felt condolences to Si's family, both old and new and also to the families of all the others involved.

Sad Sad news :(

OffshoreHeli
3rd Jan 2007, 19:49
My condolences to family of Steve. Spent 4 months sharing a room in Belize with him what a character made the tour fly past. Many happy memories at Topcliffe. Unfortunately have a family funeral of my own to attend. My thoughts are with you.
JB

snoopy1
5th Jan 2007, 16:13
As a close family member of SP, I finally have all the funeral details. They are as follows:

Time and Date: 1330hrs Friday 12/01/07

Venues: St. Chads Church, Poulton-le-fylde, Blackpool,
it is situated in the centre of poulton

(Due to the large number of people attending, it has been requested that people arrive at 1300 and be seated in the church upon arrival)

After the Church service it will be onto Carlton Crematorium (not too far from Poulton) to say our last goodbye's.

And then onto The Hilton, North Promenade, Blackpool.

All old friends and buddies are welcome.

Sorry for the delay in passing funeral arrangments, but only just been confirmed.

Again many thanks for all your kind words, thoughts and poems.

Simons_Sister
6th Jan 2007, 20:57
As a member of Si's family I would like to express our gratitude for the kind words from Si's fellow aviators (and friends). It has touched me to have Si talked about in ways that fit him so well, "gentle giant", "true gent", "larger than life", "absolutely barking", "a nicer man you could not have met". These words have been repeated so often in the media and on other forums, I am so proud of him and what he meant to so many others.

Our thoughts are also with the others who died in this tragic incident, I only know of Steve from conversations with Si, he only had good things to say about him and a great professional respect.

The funeral is being held at:
All Saints Church
Hesketh Bank
Preston
PR4 6RZ

on next Wednesday (10th) at 12.00

We do however ask the media & press to respect our privacy at this difficult time.

G-CPTN
7th Jan 2007, 13:00
FDR located, according to BBC News.

HeliEng
7th Jan 2007, 14:07
G-CPTN,

Do you have a link please?

G-CPTN
7th Jan 2007, 14:12
Nothing in text yet, just verbal on BBC Radio Five News, just recently repeated as 'located the FDR'. No information as to whether it has been recovered, just 'located'. The wording was precisely that . . .

sox6
7th Jan 2007, 14:20
http://www.24dash.com/communities/14997.htm

Accident investigators have located the flight data recorder from a helicopter which crashed into the sea killing seven people, it was announced today.
The flight recorder may contain vital information about the cause of the crash in Morecambe Bay on December 27.
"Recovery of the recorder together with any associated wreckage will begin as soon as weather conditions allow," said a spokesman for the Department for Transport.

G-CPTN
7th Jan 2007, 14:45
Beeb, but nothing new. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6239135.stm

Emeroid Eng
8th Jan 2007, 12:59
My deepest sympathy to all who lost someone in this tragic accident.
I knew Steve when I worked in Engineering for Bond Helicopters at Liverpool. A really nice bloke.

May they all Rest in Peace.
Amen

NorthSeaTiger
11th Jan 2007, 07:25
Has the fuselage and cvfdr been recovered yet ? or just located ?

Brilliant Stuff
13th Jan 2007, 13:20
The Tail and the MRGB has been recovered and the FDR has been located. The weather is atrocious but they have the vessels on standby in the harbour.

NorthSeaTiger
17th Jan 2007, 15:31
Just heard on the news today that the cvfdr has been recovered.

NST

carlharrop
17th Jan 2007, 17:42
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1779/potton2020steve20jf.png

ORAC
19th Jan 2007, 12:13
Blackpool Today - 18th Jan: A remote-activated vehicle scouring the seabed 25 miles off the Blackpool coastline yesterday recovered the "black box" data recorder from the crash site – three weeks after the tragedy...

A spokesman for the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said the remote vehicle was launched from a salvage team operating on behalf of the AAIB and will be taken to its Hampshire headquarters.

He added: "The recorder, together with a substantial amount of wreckage from the helicopter, will now be taken to the AAIB's headquarters in Farnborough for analysis."

Flapwing
31st Jan 2007, 04:54
any details surfaced yet, it's been a while now...

Heliport
31st Jan 2007, 06:00
Err .... try AAIB Bulletin: Morecambe Bay on the first page. ;)

zalt
26th Jun 2007, 21:16
Six months tomorrow...

http://www.lep.co.uk/news?articleid=2982468

A memorial service will be held on Friday at Lancaster Priory. The service, which starts at 11am, will be led by the Rev Canon Peter Cavanagh, vicar of the Priory at Lancaster, and the Rev Andrew Jolly, chaplain to the UK Oil and Gas Industry.

zalt
1st Jul 2007, 11:23
400 people attended the service:
http://www.lep.co.uk/news?articleid=2994847

Memorial fund:
www.centricamemorialfund.com

Great North Runner
21st Sep 2007, 20:51
All of you who knew Simon, please have a look at the following link as I aim to raise money for the RNLI and keep his name alive, the artical has my donating website included.
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Charity-run-for-helicopter-heroes.3221929.jp

Much appreciated

Karl

jamier
4th Dec 2007, 20:23
hi, just thought id ask if anyone knows if the final report has been released by the AAIB yet?

My dad was on this helicopter 2 days before it went down coming back from the Douglas and we were talking about it earlier today and said id ask for him.

Weve read the provisional report but just wondered if the full one has been released yet?

Regards,

Jamie R

Gaseous
4th Dec 2007, 21:33
Jamie. Nothing yet.

The Nr Fairy
6th Dec 2007, 11:08
Jamie:

Check http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/publications/index.cfm on a reasonably regular basis - once the report's published, it will probably be in the Formal Reports section.

Dupsspud
8th Jan 2008, 22:49
I used to fly with Steve Poton out of Liverpool, we were on the last flight out of John Lennon before ops moved to Blackpool.

Rest in peace to Steve and all those on-board.

carlharrop
17th Oct 2008, 04:40
Report No: 7/2008. Report on the accident to Aerospatiale SA365N, registration G-BLUN, near the North Morecambe gas platform, Morecambe Bay on 27 December 2006

Air Accidents Investigation: 7/2008 G-BLUN (http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/publications/formal_reports/7_2008_g_blun.cfm)

RIP

carlharrop
16th May 2014, 23:41
For some and most of us it feels like 30 seconds ago, and then a gain it feels like a life time ago. It would have been so much easier had they of been horrid people.

That wasn't the case, all we can do is laugh at the good times,grieve that we miss them, and respect the people we met and lost capt Steve Potton, was ex AAC, one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Spot-on Steve. RIP

SilsoeSid
18th May 2014, 20:14
Ditto for Fodders.
Today has been a day of remembering for many of us.

From today's service at Tilton on the Hill;

Psalm 23
King James Version (KJV)

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Amen

RiP all